(jazz theory) cycle of fourths and the 6/9 chord

pianomankris

Hey jazz cats ;)

Let's jump into some proper jazz theory. I've spoken to a few people through PM's, and a few people here know more than just the basics, so i'll cover some more advanced stuff, then go back and tidy up the basics.

OK - the cycle of fourths - a knowledge of this is absolutely essential to playing jazz.

The 'cycle of fourths' is just a sequence where we go a fourth (perfect fourth) higher than the previous note.

Here is the full sequence, starting on C:

C - F - Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb(F#) - B - E - A - D - G - C etc etc

You need to know this inside out for what we will do later on.

Practise going through the entire sequence beginning on any/every note.

Try playing the sequence as chords e.g. all as major chords, all as minor chords (Cm, Fm, Bbm, Ebm, etc etc) etc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 6/9 chord

We are going to learn a specific jazz chord, known as the 6/9 chord. The 6/9 tells us the extensions. In this case, the 6th and 9th degrees of the relative major scale.

For example, if playing a C6/9, we would take the basic C triad, and add the 6th and 9th degrees of the C major scale to the chord.

This would give us the notes C E G A D

-BUT- - there are specific voicings for this chord in jazz. Some people muck around and add the 6th and 9th degrees to a basic major, which is fine, but if you want 'that jazz sound', then go with the voicings below.

The 'open' voicing (i.e. notes spread out) is played as follows:

LH = R 5, RH = 4ths built on the 3rd degree of the chord/scale.

i.e for open voiced C6/9, it would be voiced as LH C G, RH E A D

The RH plays three notes; the first of the RH notes is the major 3rd of the chord; the other notes are a sequence of fourths. There are other ways to think of this chord, but I want you to think in these terms just now, in order to solidify your thinking of the cycle of fourths.

The 'closed' voicing (i.e. notes close together) is played as follows:

LH = R 3, RH = 4ths built on the 6th degree of the scale.

i.e. for closed voicing C6/9, it would be voiced as LH C E, RH A D G

Once again, the RH notes are a sequence of fourths, only this time the sequence of fourths begins on a different note from the open voicing.

As a general rule, the open voicing is used as a lower voicing (i.e. low down on the piano), and the closed voicing is used as an upper voicing (i.e. further up the piano). Reason being that the further down the bass end you go, the further apart the notes should be; the higher up the piano you go, the closer together the notes can be.

As a result, in jazz, open voicings are common for low voiced chords, and closed voicings are common for upper voiced chords.

So, if you hear a jazz cat talking about a 'closed upper 6/9', you'll know what he's talking about ;)

PS it takes quite a while to get the thinking of this chord into your head so that you can play it automatically, but it is worth persevering with the way i've shown here.

Chord usage

The chord can be used as a substitute for the I, IV, and V chord (e.g all the major chords in a key). e.g. in C, we can play C6/9 instead of C, F6/9 instead of F, and G6/9 instead of G. However, it is more commonly used as a substitute for the I and IV, rather than for the V.

Try playing through a song you know, and stick in a 6/9 instead of a basic major chord every now and then. It'll spice up the tune.

practising the 6/9

-DO NOT- practise this chord chromatically e.g. don't play C6/9, then Db6/9, then D6/9, as you'll just move the shape, rather than thinking of the notes.

Practise the chord on all 12 chromatic notes of the octave.

Practise as a lower open chord, then as an upper closed chord, in the following sequence:

C6/9
G6/9
D6/9
A6/9
E6/9
B6/9
F#6/9
Db6/9
Ab6/9
Eb6/9
Bb6/9
F6/9

Make sure you know an Eb6/9 just as well as you know a C6/9. You should be able to play all of these chords just as easily as the next one.

Get this chord 'in the pocket' (jazz speak for being able to do something instantly).

Peace out, cats :)

Any questions, fire away.

Last edited:
fingering

-the fingering here is general, and isn't fixed-

for the open 6/9 voicing:

the LH would use fingers 5 and 1, or 5 and 2
the RH would use fingers 1 3 5 when the 1 begins on a white, or fingers 1 2 5 when the 1 begins on a black.

But if you feel better using 1 3 5 or 1 2 5 for them all, just go for it.

for the closed 6/9 voicing:

the LH can use any combination of two fingers - 3 1, 4 2, 5 3, (and, to a lesser extent, 5 2, 4 1) etc etc

RH as for the open voicing.

I'd try to get into the habit of using 5 3 in the LH. The reason why will become clearer when we do more advanced chords.

PS it'll probably take a good few weeks/maybe a month or two before this chord is truly in the pocket.

Back