Jazz Swing

7earsDoFall

Hello fellow drummers, I'd like to start drumming jazz and I'm studying from Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer. But.... I am already having problems with the very first exercise and I cannot seem to let either hand be independent on its own (i.e. play without thinking).

The exercise is... (in semiquavers)
Right hand goes - 1 2 a3 4 a
Left hand goes - 1 a2 a3 a4 a

Would like to seek advice from swing/jazz players on how I should get myself going effectively. my goodness... I feel so lousy =\

In terms of practice - Swing is not any different from straight beats. Of course, if you have spent too much time going for straight beats, you need to learn to count the swing.

A lot of people always think drumming is about coordination. While I dont disagree, I think a lot boils down to indepedence of limbs.

In other words, get the muscle memory of the left hand (and the right foot down first), once your ding-ding-a-ding gets etched in your muscle memory of your left-hand and your right foot keeps time on 2-4, your left-hand is free to comp.

BTW: The first few exercises in Chapin's book are all straight note-based - as like your initial message above a3, a1, etc. The swing comes in later and it will be even more challenging if you cannot get the swing muscle memory down. My opinion is that you skip to that swing-triplet based exercises first to lock the muscle memory of ding-ding-a-ding down.

That is the basis of Jim Chapin's book. If you think in terms of sequence, instead of limb movements in parallel, you will not be able to comp and improvise freely in Jazz drumming.

That is the main difference in Jazz dumming as opposed to rock/pop where it is more groove-centric and backbeat-based. In Jazz drumming, you have to think like a musician and play the drums as part of the music and that is what makes Jazz drumming a lot harder to grasp as it takes a unique and rather holistic approach.

To put it simply, a good Jazz musician can take part in any jam session with strangers on other instruments and if they know the standards, song structures (A-A-B, or A-B-A, etc) and can improvise well and at will, they will be able to create great jazz music with these strangers as if they have been rehearsing for the last 100 years.

I am not kidding. You wont be able to do that in a Rock/Pop setting. Everthing is centered around the bands one plays to or adores. Besides being able to blend, you need to rehearse with your band.

That is the beauty of Jazz music. It takes a while to get there but Jim's book you are holding is a good start. Keep working.

Last edited:
The key word here is "know". If the Jazz players don't know the song, then they won't be able to play it. In a Rock/Pop setting, as long as everyone knows the songs, there should be no reason why a bunch of strangers can't play it too.

Sorry, dude. Gotta call you on this one. There is no such thing as an open "rock" jam. There is for Blues and Jazz and of course, Jazz is an offshoot off Blues.

If I dont know the song/melody, I can go in there with my instrument and play the chords of the RealBook (which is the Jazz Standard) and comp and still be able to make music with the strangers in the gang. I can play "Autumn Leaves" in about 3 ways depending on what the surrounding instruments are and can play Misty in about 5 ways - and yes, I think I am able to play Misty in funk or rock feel.

You cannot go to an open "rock" jam and hope to God they love Dire Straits and know how to play them covers

There is this thing called the Jazz Standards of the RealBook and that is the differentiating factor between Jazz music and others and they are all nothing but standards. You can compose and arrange in any way you and your musicians like it.There are no standards in Rock/Pop.

There is of course, a lot more to Jazz than that - for example, knowing the structure of the song (A-A-B, A-B-A, etc)

AND I am not downplaying the other genres here, I am often amazed at what Rock or Fusion drummers can do with their foot on the bass and can come up with 200 BPM 16th note fills without breaking a sweat.

However, to me - less is more and playing a 4-note fill for a 2-part phrase and being able to create beautiful music in harmony with the other fellow musicians is what I crave for and inspire to be and Jazz gives me that kick.

@USADrummer: Lets agree to disagree on this one.

In any case, we are detracting from the initial request above. Unlike many drum teachers I know, I would not work on the sequence of the limbs if I were you.

Isolate the right hand (ding-ding-a-ding) and left foot (2-4) and dont count e3. Count let-3 for the Triplet feel. Once you can put your right hand and left foot into muscle memory, the left hand should be easy.

If you think too much sequentially, you will have the same problems with what USADrummer is asking you to play above and also face the same challenges with Ted's Syncopation Book.

To put it simply, a good Jazz musician can take part in any jam session with strangers on other instruments and if they know the standards, song structures (A-A-B, or A-B-A, etc) and can improvise well and at will, they will be able to create great jazz music with these strangers as if they have been rehearsing for the last 100 years.

Actually, having a good pair of ears can suffice.

Hm.mmm ...Bro Softwaremaker really sound like one of my Long Time Friend here (in the manner he speaks) Hehehehehehe ! - Are you who I think you are Softwaremaker ..anyway, well ... nice exchange between you and our Bro Bruce.

Last edited:
hello. thanks for all your replies :)
yeah indeed learning jazz drumming is very frustrating =\
The scores looks very easy. Sounds very easy. but when it comes to me playing... zzz
say umm... how long did you take to secure your independence for jazz drumming. How many hours should I clock up a day with how many minutes practicing on which aspects.

I have seen through Alvin's materials... <-- struggling with it x_X
and umm
"2)Snare drum plays on 1 & 3 opposite hi/hat
3)Snare drum plays 1 2 3 4 with bass drum"
also cannot =\

Just a question, how fast are you practicing the exercises? Also, are you familiar with triplets? Finally, can you play the basic swing ride pattern while counting all the triplets at a slow tempo of about 80bpm (quarter notes)?

The exercise is... (in semiquavers)
Right hand goes - 1 2 a3 4 a
Left hand goes - 1 a2 a3 a4 a

[/I]

Kekeke this one is like – your right hand – doing Swing, while your right hand is doing a “Shuffle”

yeah indeed learning jazz drumming is very frustrating =\

The scores looks very easy. Sounds very easy. but when it comes to me playing... zzz
say umm...

how long did you take to secure your independence for jazz drumming. How many hours should I clock up a day with how many minutes practicing on which aspects.

I have seen through Alvin's materials... <-- struggling with it x_X
and umm
"2)Snare drum plays on 1 & 3 opposite hi/hat
3)Snare drum plays 1 2 3 4 with bass drum"
also cannot =\

Bro - - be patient.timming must be right 1st…the very basic ..Swing Basic Pattern may seems simple – but it is actually not – and it takes time to get it “ Really Swinging “ ….and yes the Exercises from Alvin….Kekekekke is not Easy (at 1st) but after a while (you will be able to do it) there are many many way to practice it around the kit …and I went through these exercises – as I was a Student in Music Lab – and is Alvin’s Student and he taught me – Jazz Drumming.

But (that alone is not enough) - -- you must at the same time – Play With A Jazz Band to gain Practical experience here or you can also Jam Along With Jazz Musicians which means you must ..PLAY Along with Jazz Bands (Know The Songs) … very very important…to excel and improve….and in this Area …I have Freddy to Thanks here.....

Last time (when my band says - Trade Four) - - my hand sweat like hell adn heart pumping very fast -today....I will ask - Hey how come dont have Trade-4 izzit har??? Kekekekekke...

At times - I will go to a club - to watch Jazz Band plays - buy a couple of drinks and watch..and that's valuable learning too ... and I usually go and watch Mr Tama Goh plays back then ....

So what did I learn most from Tama - - Kekekekke - You should see how I throw my sticks while drumming Jazz...Kekekekek ...nah ... not throwing but flipping...I learn while watching him play....Hahahahahha

I was lucky.

NOTe: - I am just an OK Drummer - can still bluff my way through lah today...

Last edited:
You forgot to mention the right foot playing on all the quarter notes. This is an essential part of the jazz pattern.

I personally dont agree that Four-on-the-Floor is an essential Jazz Pattern. The same way I dont feel that crashing on the ONE is the right way to "feel" jazz. There is too much "rockish" feeling to it.

Maybe feathering four-on-the-floor is acceptable but in jazz, it is essential and important to treat the bass as another drum in comping You dont normally hit any drum on every quarter note.

I have learnt from some great masters in Jazz locally and internationally and attended quite a few clinics and most of them, if not all - dont advocate the Four-on-the-Floor.

It is something I see in Beginners Book to let the jazz beginner know where the count is. I personally think that if stuck too long, it becomes a bad habit. The ride pattern and the left foot 2-4 is your time keeper. Both the left hand and the right foot are comping tools.

I however think it is crucial to practice feathering 4-on-the floor. You can hear a lot of jazz masters play that way in early jazz recordings. And even if you are not into the early styles, I think learning it can only strengthen your feel for the quarter notes. And after practicing that....I assure you one thing....you will realize where disco and techno came from!! haha....

As for the comping tools....it depends which style you are playing....it is true to a certain extend that the ride cymbal is the main time keeping tool...but if you listen to modern players like Jack Dejohnette, Bill Steward, Brian Blade etc....everything limp is a comping tool as well as time keeping tools!! In fact, if you listen to some of the earlier, more modern Jazz drummers like Tony Williams.....you can barely hear the 2 & 4s on the hats...so rules or no rules....depends on the style you are playing.

There is SO much to study in Jazz and there is no better way to learn them than to just buy as many CDs as possible ranging from early styles to modern styles....all the best!

Then you don't understand its historical roots. The 'four-on-the-floor' thing is essential in playing authentically. The quarter note pulse from the bass drum was used in the formation of Jazz to augment the bassist's quarter note pulse for his bass lines. It gives the music a 'bottom'.

Bruce, I am not interested in taking this channel as a point-for-point rebuttal with you. Music, just like any art form, is subjective to different tastes and preferences. A jazz song can be played in many many ways subjective to many factors.

Just like music, humility is an art-form. AlvinTheDrummer puts across his counter points nicely and allow me to paraphrase someone:"There is no tyranny of good ideas".

I take issue with your note about someone not understanding its historical roots just by a single post from someone. That is not fair and not right but I digress since this is a democratic forum where anyone can say anything. You dont know me or anything about me and likewise so that is not a fair statement.

The accoustic artform of music and lets talk about Jazz starts from a beginning where the bassline is almost nonexistent (who has got low freq amp or upright bass at that time) - therefore the four-on-the-floor theory.

When bassists are more prevalent in line-ups, that four-on-the-floor is felt and not played. In fact, depending on how you want to counter or complement the bassists, like I said - the bass is used as a drum and not as a pulse in Jazz

Again, I said that is me and it is definitely not a definitive theory, yours or mine. We all learn from someone somewhere - yesterday, today and tomorrow - you and me alike. The differences in how we are taught influences our beliefs. We all just have to respect that.

Last edited:
The 'four-on-the-floor' thing – is Important to me – as it gets me going and started.

This is my own Personal Learning Experiences (or how I went through myself ) in being able to do simple Jazz Music as 1st started out to learning to play Jazz…with ZERO Knowledge

From the very Basic – My 1st Drumming Instructor (Tony Zee) taught me – was the “ Jazz Swing Pattern ” – remembering I have never knew a Single Jazz Song – so I literally do not know – How a Swing Pattern sound like…and this is how I learn.

I began to Swing (saying - 1 2 a3 4a) 1 and so on – so now I know this is how a Swimg Pattern..goes - so what ? – I don’t get the Swing Feel well here of course…In this 1st lesson for a person Totally Ignorant of what’s a Jazz Swing …. I was ask to add in (not feathering Bass Drum as yet – I cant) but bass drum into 1234…to help me keep time – I still don’t really get the Swing Feel out – from the Ride.

Then I went and play with a Hobbyiest Jazz Band (at this time I was only Playing Blues Music – a lot of Triplet used that’s all)….but Jazz is Different…
First I do not know a lot of Jazz Songs (and I never listen to it as I know nothing) and the 1st few Jazz song I heard in my life was 8 Songs I had (was given to me from a Good Friend – Mr Frank Wong) but these are not simple Jazz Song they are tough – so I don’t listen to them as they scare me off.

With this Jazz band that I can now Jam along with them – I am only able to Play 1234 on Bass (and I always do as I can only do that) – because I cant do Comping at all – How could I ? when I am trying so hard just to get the Ride Swinging (in the right feel) – the 2 and 4 on hi-hat nice-chit sound…..

Luckily my band knew I am literally totally new into Jazz Music – so they are very tolerant – and accept my 1234 on Bass…..and whenever I try to do something different (like don’t do 1234 on Bass) – My timming screw up and I screw up the Band…so I went back to 1234 – for a very long time…TILL – I took lesson from Alvin – who corrected the very Basic of my Swinging Pattern – on Timming…and soon after a few weeks near a month I was swinging in the right time and the Feel of the Swing came and grow ..and then I started my Comping Lesson.

Ok this is good – I practice my Comping back home – but when the time comes for me to Play with my Band – again - - I was playing 1234 – but adding some comping pattern that I learn from Alvin …. This adds up – and now I can do it with Feel on how I wanna do it.

But – the facts remains – it really took me some time to be able to do that(with a Band) - -luckily I have the 1234 on Bass (and my band is tolerant to let me learn through experience and lesson) – without the 1234 – I wouldn’t be Playing Jazz at all – with my Band now..and improve myself after 1 over year.

So – the 1234 is very important – to me it’s my foundation(the pillar) – of getting the very Basic – right..as we have to remember – to a totally new Beginner into Jazz – Knowing the pattern doesn’t – means getting the Swing Feel right … this I learn through a hard way through how I went through doing Jazz at its Basic – as a Hobbyiest Drummer.

Maybe I am a Slow learner – but this is my real life experience…even till today I still do a 4 but Feathering it very lightly….on some occasion

I realize that very slow growth in this Jazz Drumming Area is 100% attributed to a very very important Factor (even after I acquiring the Basics) – that is - -

I did not listen to Jazz Music at all (say about listening to as many as possible) – I blame myself for that but no-one else (my band always encourage me to listen more – I did not. Always ask me to open up the Fake Book and try to follow by reading to know where they are in the song – and I did not make the effort to do that too - so does my Drumming Instructor tell me to do that too ….. as this is really very very Important (because I cant come up with Newer Ideas) in my playing.

The only thing I tried and is doing is – While Playing..I sing the Melody in my Head…but this is only useful – when I have ever play the songs with my Band a number of time – If it’s a Song we have never did before – I die 1st..hahahha funny but true…again my fault of course..never listen to songs.

PS; -Bought a book on Jazz 1 year plus ago (Real thick and heavy one) on The History of Jazz – it’s cheap I got it because – it was on very special offer at Borders Book Store…read 20 Pages – then close the book and it’s somewhere in my home now untouched …(it’s very interesting really) - - It tells the History and Roots on how Jazz started and where etc and how it spread across the World

Stamina and Great Discipline is really required in doing Jazz- especially – when one is New into Jazz….

Last edited:
I have a Question - please advice or share your opinion with me

When one play Jazz – you feather the Bass Drum many a times ..only sometimes they hit it a bit louder to make it Musical or create that comping thing or an Accent

Then – we also know that when you do Jazz – one do the 2 & 4 on the Hi-hats to get the Chit-Sound

This is the Norm - the Usual Norm (though there are always exception many Jazz Drummer do out of this norm) and do some thing Creative and Musical but still in line.

Is there any Jazz Drummer I wonder – who will or have do Jazz accompanying some Double Pedal kinda stuff? – Is there? Or Can they do that? Or there isn’t? cause its wrong or double pedal will spoil the Structure of any Jazz Songs here..especially those Old Jazz Song from the Fake Book

I just wanna know…can I have some opinion here?

PS: - say in trading among Members (solo time) – does any Jazz Drummer uses Double Pedal – eg playing fast 16 or 32 note Triplet kinda thing….accompany this into his Solo

I was thinking – when one says do double pedaling here – then the left foot no longer can do the 2/4 on Hi-Hats – cause we only have 2 legs not 3 legs …. Haahhahahaha …but I saw in Trading – all the jazz Drummer still do the 2/4 on hi-hats…so I don’t know?

Last edited:
This is what I have an issue with: "I personally dont agree that Four-on-the-Floor is an essential Jazz Pattern." So either you don't agree with the historical roots of Jazz, or you don't understand them in order to dismiss something that is inarguably essential to the basic Jazz pattern. It's not about "fair"; it's about giving accurate information to someone who is asking for it. You may not like the 4-on-the-floor for whatever personal reasons you have, subjective or otherwise, but that doesn't change what is

Allow me to make a suggestion: why don't you do yourself a favor and do some studying on the history of Jazz? Listen to some Jazz from the 30's and 40's. Take special note of the drummer. The difference isn't HOW we are taught; but WHAT we are taught that influence our beliefs. Respect can't be taken for granted.

There is no historcal jazz evidence that Four-on-the-Floor is an essential Jazz Pattern. The Jazz music patten was derived by the African (Bell Pattern) who innately count 1-2-1-2 instead of 4. Blues was derived from it and subsequently the swing. Of course, there are many who argues that the swing was derived from blues. Again, just like this - it becomes a political / religious battle

Four-on-the-Floor is essetially a disco bass pattern. I am not saying that it is wrong or right in jazz. In the 30s, yes, it was practiced by he drummer and as a jazz historian will also tell you - basslines were not prevalent in the 30s, hence the Four-on-the-Floor as an added pulse in the rhythm section.

This changed dramatically when basslines are more prevalent in the rythm section from the mid and late 90s onwards and the mindset shift to view the bass as a drum. Many people dont comp with the bass and the main reason is the mindset view of the bass as a pulse rather than as a tom.

Yes, I listened to all Jazz records from the 30s to the recent fusions and actually study them.

Bruce - It seems you are very adamant to rebutt point for point and without taking consideration for certain points in context. Of course, you have every right and presence to do so. Just like playing jazz where harmony is key, how you play that day depends on who you play, what you play, etc. AND when I mean HOW one is taught refers to more than WHAT is taught. How one is taught is a bigger picture and influencer than WHAT is taught. The same cirruculum taught by 2 different teachers will have different effects on the students BUT I digress. This is not the forum to do so.

I do not want to take on a point-for-point rebuttal here as an impersonal online forum is the worst place to do so. Thoughts and words are often misrepresented and taken out context.

Elvin Jones is famous for turning the swing pattern inside out by accenting on the skip notes and swinging on the 1-3. Is he respecting the historical roots of Jazz ? Is there aything in the historical roots of jazz that says IT MUST BE SWUNG THAT WAY or is swing just a feel.

BTW: Notes are notated in straight notes as dated as music notation history goes BUT you probably know that already. It is just swung by feel. Notated history aside, classic drum books ranging from Alan Stone, George Reed, Jim Chapin never did emphasize on the 4-on-the-floor pattern but that never did stop many drummers from using that as a pulse to strengthen the rhythm section if the strong bassline is not there. There is no right or wrong.

Thanks for your points. It is becoming a religious / political battle which is the same as arguing who is the greatest drummer or what is the best brand of cymbals which I will never participate.

I think I have represented my points enough and I am not imposing my beliefs on anyone or using any of unbased historical roots to influence points across. Whether you swing it the traditional way with four on the floor or without it or turn it inside out like Elvin Jones and HH on the 1 and 3 instead - there is no right or wrong and there is no "disrespect" to the "historical roots" of the music, if you dont play it "the imposed way".

The discerning reader will decide. Especially Jazz outside of the classically trained musician - No one, much less us, is in any authority to dictate or impose. There are no charts and no one single correct way.

How you play it depends on many things, on top of it creativity on top of what is already done. The function of the jazz musician remains to keep time and complement the music and make others sound better than they do.

I will leave it at that and not weigh in further. Let us do our speaking with our music instruments instead.

Last edited:
Back