Jazz Drumming

Phlemingo

After reading through another thread labelled as "Practising Jazz" and seeing the many friendly and helpful replies the guy got, I've decided to make my own thread.

Firstly, I'm no beginner in jazz drumming, but undoubtedly I still have a long way to go.

Well in a nutshell, I'm not sure how to further my playing. I get occasionaly "breakthroughs" when I get an evolution in feel, technique etc, but nothing concrete and instructed to work for. For that, I need the jazz drumming greats' helps! :D

I wish to further my jazz drumming to professional level. People like beboptang, for example, who perform at Barstop could perhaps give great advice in regard to my playing? I would gladly come down if I could and get pointers and stuff. And of course those who offer alot of theoretical help like Bor and blurred are welcome as well. I mostly wish for an experienced player to perhaps hear and give tips though? Because that's the fastest way to get a grasp of my level.

Some background: I started drumming in march 2006, but if I may say so myself I learnt quite fast >< I've got solid and high-level rudiments because of drilling by symphonic band where I first learnt my skills. Since I learn piano, I have good grasp of theory. I recently took the Grade 5 of the abrsm jazz piano exam and got a 140, so I believe feel is there. Yet I still feel that drums is the instrument for me; piano gives lesser orgasmic kick.

Anyway looking forward very much to replies! :)

Plemingo, perhaps you should invest in getting a teacher who can guide you along. Especially so if you're intending to make music a career and play drums professionally.

Its good and useful to get tips from experienced players, however, you'd really improve much faster seeing a teacher on a regular basis. Many good jazz drummers out there and within in this forum do give lessons. The ones that I know of and listen to quite regularly are Jimmy (teaches at music clef) and Boon Gee (teaches at anaki studios).

Or you could call up the Music Lab, i believe theres a thread in the forum about it. They do jazz studies for individual instruments and band workshops (See their website).

http://www.themusiclab.com.sg/home.html

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually intending to get a teacher, but that would only be for after my A levels. Currently, I can't really spare the time. That's why I'm looking to forge connections, have one-off meetings and learn at my own pace for now, and is it true that the fastest way to do all three is to go for open mics, meet pros (via forum?) etc.?

Hey Phlemingo,

Ya, drop by BarStop on any of the nights and you can talk to any of the drummers. Of course, Jazz at SouthBridge, Harry's Quayside at Boat Quay, The Bar at The Regent Hotel are great too!

I learned a lot just watching bands at the now-defunct Somersets Bar (the old Westin), The Regent, Harry's Quayside. And I used to jam at these places too. I would talk to all the drummers, other instrumentalists and even singers, to see what I could glean; and sometimes I'd get lessons from them too. All of those lessons were at my own pace -- ie not an every week thing.

But the best lessons I got, weren't from drummers, but from Bassist, Christy Smith (he still plays at Harry's Quayside). He, pianist Mei Sheum & pianist Don Gomes taught me A LOT about the approach to jazz. Because jazz is not just a rhythm, it's an approach.

During that time I also amassed a lot of jazz CD's and played them all to death. I would cop some licks, some solos, play along and even sing along to instrumental & vocal solos. I learned to sing a lot of jazz song melodies, so that I always have that in my head when I solo. Many times I learned the lyrics of songs too, so I understand the context of the song and don't just play drums, but add musicality to the lyrics of the song.

I still learn a lot from other musicians. I would say that in learning jazz, I have more teachers who are not drummers, than those who are. Perhaps it's because I personally feel that musicality is harder to acquire and deliver than technique, though both are important.

There's so much more to say on the subject, but in a nutshell, the way to get there is (not in order of importance):

- listen a lot
- play a lot
- learn a lot
- ask a lot
- love it a lot
- and when you fall on your face, get up and try again... A LOT!

Feel free to look me up at BarStop. I'm there Wed & Thurs from 9pm - midnight (except tomorrow Nov 8th) for the month of November. Check back with me about our Dec schedule.

Keep boppin'!

Last edited:
Ya, drop by BarStop on any of the nights and you can talk to any of the drummers. Of course, Jazz at SouthBridge, Harry's Quayside at Boat Quay, The Bar at The Regent Hotel are great too!
I've been to SouthBridge a couple of times and played on Open Mic once, but that's about it D:

I learned a lot just watching bands at the now-defunct Somersets Bar (the old Westin), The Regent, Harry's Quayside. And I used to jam at these places too. I would talk to all the drummers, other instrumentalists and even singers, to see what I could glean; and sometimes I'd get lessons from them too. All of those lessons were at my own pace -- ie not an every week thing.
Haha the problem is, I never know when/how to approach these people.

Speaking of lessons, learning from other musicians and stuff, I've been doing that since the start of this year, in a sense. This year was the year I started jazz drumming; before that it was symphonic percussion, mostly on mallets (which, side-tracking a bit here ,allows me to do pretty decent jazz vibes). It was in my school's jazz club, and I quickly took to the music. I'm currently leading the drums section.

The way I've progressed has been interesting even to myself. I still recall the days when I was whacking without care for tone, and thinking of maximum volume. Nowadays I scoff at these silly practices.. oh no, scoffing is bad ><

Anyway, I have no proficient seniors to learn from; they are the rockers, who somehow joined jazz for the exposure but weren't too cut out for it. As such, my teacher became the internet, and in getting the feel I had to rely on the pianists, guitarists etcetera.

I agree that musicality is infinitely difficult to acquire compared to technique. My technique's pretty solid; I think I'm the only person I know personally who can do moeller and freehand, and use the traditional grip better than match. Unfortunately much lesser people are able to appreciate musicality compared to those who can wow at your awesome speed, technique, etc, therefore I've been a little dedicated to fine-tuning technique as well.

- listen a lot
- play a lot
- learn a lot
- ask a lot
- love it a lot
- and when you fall on your face, get up and try again... A LOT!
Most of the stuff you mentioned is there, however I am getting a bit afraid of losing avenues to play once I leave the club XD Therefore I'm here in this forum now trying to get to know people. Yup. I'm also trying to get more specific instead of general advice, for example like how my hihat technique is suckage haha ><

Feel free to look me up at BarStop. I'm there Wed & Thurs from 9pm - midnight (except tomorrow Nov 8th ) for the month of November. Check back with me about our Dec schedule.

Keep boppin'!
Will do! Thanks very much for your reply.

Last edited:
hello bepoptang! i guess this is quite dumb but.. erm.. wheres bar stop? i've been to all e places u've named but barstop haha.. how to get there ah?

oura is a pretty gd conductor man. he's one of the most patient conductors i've seen man.
when ur counting in a band on a jazz piece, the other musicians find it helpful if u accent the 2 and 4 on the count it. it adds more of a swing to the count. Oura tends not to do this if i remember correctly. he's a gd gd conductor none the less

u know wat phlemingo, just come for the exchange man. all ur questions wld be answered alot better there i feel

hello bepoptang! i guess this is quite dumb but.. erm.. wheres bar stop? i've been to all e places u've named but barstop haha.. how to get there ah?

Hi Melvin,

BarStop is on Devonshire Road. You can either enter by Killiney Road, near River Valley, and turn into Devonshire where the SPC Petrol Station is, cuz BarStop is just next to the petrol station. Or if coming by MRT, go to Somerset, walk towards SingTel building, there's a small street on the right of the building, where you can see fancy apartments and Peranakan shophouses, that little street is Devonshire Road. Just walk till you come to the end of Devonshire and you'll see it.

BarStop is also attached with Sushi Yoshida. It's the only "jumping joint" on that street.

More info on http://www.imaginings.com.sg/ I'm playing with Feri's Quartet.

blurred:

Yeah I suppose, but oura does get kinda pushy sometimes. Heh. And yeah I was going to go for the exchange.

Melvin, we can go there together (I know the place - the last time I went there and Wen was playing). In fact I wanted to go there to watch beboptang play with my Band-Members. In fact every week we go to one of these jazz-joints to listen and learn. Last night we were at Regent so were we last week.

Watching, Listening to these Jazz Band is to us - A Learning Process .

Melvin, we can go there together (I know the place - the last time I went there and Wen was playing). In fact I wanted to go there to watch beboptang play with my Band-Members. In fact every week we go to one of these jazz-joints to listen and learn. Last night we were at Regent so were we last week.

Watching, Listening to these Jazz Band is to us - A Learning Process .

If y'all are going for some outing to listen to jazz, count me in?

Except, does the place allow underage people?

Yes no problem...I order Tomato Juice for you....Seriously why not sure you can go in without any problem man.

OK will call you when I go - PM me your HP No

Eric

Was down at Barstop last sat, and yesterday to catch Jimmy Lee live in action. What a fantastic drummer...

I managed to take some videos of his trading / soloing. I wish I could have taped down the whole song, but due to lack of memory space on my phone, i just taped the solos.

The link is below:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_1bgMS89Is

Hope you guys enjoy. Currently, there are 6 different vids. The above only links to one, but from the youtube website you should find links to all six. There will be more to come as i have yet to upload yesterdays' videos....

Back