Jamming Studios with good keys!

joshie

do any of you guys know of studios with good keyboards or even pianos? but there has to be a drumset too.

hEY Josh, try soundbites at toh guan road (near IMM). they have a kurzweil SP88 and also a korg X5D. Also, transport is provided from jurong east MRT. go to their website (looks like it is still under construction) and look for jason's number. Call before going.

Regards
Robin

is there any contact info? thats great! i live near there. what abhout the drums? got any info about it?

Just go to the website, click on jamming and think jason's number will appear. the drums is a yamaha hip gig with extra tom in tip top condition.

Robin

Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't seem to find the studio's website on yahoo singapore.

I'm also interested in such studios

Boon's studio, the branch on the main road, has a new room which sports a RD-600 and a triton. huge drumset too, 7 or 8 piece, with latin percussion and disco lights i think. it's a relatively new room and it's on the left side of the corridor when u go in.

apart from that, room 3 at weelee sports an sp-200 and roland rs-50, with a kickass keyboard amp + subwoofer.

nowadays jam studio very well-equipped,
not like the old days 20 years ago - all Roland Juno 60, 106 keyboards.

oh yes, now they are collectors item
becos of all the hype.

but back then, when you need a piano patch how to get from a Juno ?

Back then 20+ years ago, a piano patch is generally quite difficult to come by. What we have are the FM stuffs which give so-so piano patches. Maybe some PCM patches - that's about it. Digital keyboards are just about growing and coming up replacing the analogs. If you have a keyboard with a "good" piano patch, it probably cost in the range of a fully-loaded 88-key workstation today (relative pricing comparison, not absolute). All I recall is that the Junos were the most common ones we could find around - and they were good! DX7 came up 23 years ago and for a while was one of the very few good digital ones that were around at that time.

So it's really hard to compare what we had 20 years ago - technology has improved and therefore cost and availability has changed. Today, you can't find a digital keyboard without a piano patch. With relatively low cost, a studio should be able to get a RD300 or the older RD150 with most of the bread-and-butter keyboard sounds. But with the improvement of technology, we keyboardists' taste-buds also changed. No longer do we just look for "piano patch" - we want it to cover most of our needs from analog to digital, from acoustic to electronic, with good touch and response and preferably master controller capabilities so we can have the option of bringing extra outboard gears and hook up by midi. I don't frequent studios but I've seen a number of studio's websites who posted their gears. Comaparatively speaking with 20 years ago, studios still don't have the high-end keyboards we wish they have. I guess everything revolves around cost.

Iansoh mentioned Boon's studio having RD600 and a Triton - I'm actually quite amazed and impressed! I wonder if that's the norm... I doubt it though. Perhaps somebody can prove me wrong here.

haha im looking for a studio with serious jazz setups haha. like an acoustic piano and preferably yamaha sets. got any in mind? the acoustic piano will do

Joshie,

Do go to soundbites and give it a try. Setup is quite suitable for jazz because of the yamaha set and the treated room.

Last time i went there, the SP88 is still in mint condition. Also, the other thing that impress me is that there is also a good jazz guitarist running a guitar repair / making shop in the same facility.

Regards
Robin

Back