JAMES JAMERSON?

kreed

Hey anybody noe where to get some James Jamerson stuff in Singapore? it's not that easy to find...

you mean the Hal Leonard James Jamerson licks kinda book? i think i saw a few at Parklane. dunno if it's still there as it was quite a long time ago.

the library at the esplanade has a book on his life as well as scores and a cd of his work. i believe its by allan slutsky.

don't expect tabs though.

lol.. i also saw jenna jameson instead.. and she's not a bassist.. she's a *orn star.. haah :twisted:

actually i was wondering if it was possible to buy any of his stuff here in Singapore? Like any shops?

u mean his stuff? CDs can get all those old motown compilations, as for transcriptions the book is titled "standing in the shadows of motown". they have the dvd out as well at hmv. can check with them

I recommend Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album to hear some of his stuff if you looking for an entry point.

james jamerson was the sound of motown. he was a genius who crafted all the early motown songs besides bob babbit.
to get a clearer picture you have to buy the dvd s$49.90 or vcd S$9.90 titled -'standing in the shadows of motown' - it actually tells the motown story, the musicians involved and who are still alive today known as the funk brothers, i believe you them backing the american idol finalists last season (4) when the covered motown songs.

you might want to listen to -
'reach out i'll be there' - temptations
'ain't no mountain high enough' - the supremes
'for once in my life' - stevie wonder

these are on many motown compilations dist by universal music - if its your firt intro to jamerson get the compilation cds as he played on 92% of motown stuff.

once you've seen the movie then get the book with the same title.
i recommend you order it from amazon.com as it is now going for a mere US$22.00 thats US$10 off the list price. it also c/w 2 cds that you can play along with you bass guitar, pan to the left to cut out the bass line.

If you ask me....I really FEEL that Jamerson gave birth to funk. The reason why i say this is because. Many many of the bands i like today, probably wouldnt sound (or feel) like this without originators like Jamerson. Best example: RHCP. Sorry...played too much Dani California today....

Back