Is this repairable?

Mirrorboy

Don't ask, picture says it all.. I just wanna know whether will it be costly..? Costly as in more than 200 bucks.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Just needs a glue and clamp for a few days. I don't think that will cost near $200. Maybe even less than $100. But of course, it's better to bring it to a luther and let them quote.

did someone u know did that? like maybe he/she wreck ur guitar cause he/she was pissed?

It fell off the stand, according to what my brother said. He accidentally knocked it.. Doubtful though :mad:

I almost went into a raged and caned him.. he's just 8 haha

It's my dad's guitar but yeah, he's not around so it has a lot of value to me :mrgreen:

Thanks for ur suggestions anyway

Damage to the neck is quiet severe to a guitar's structure, even if you're able to repair it, i'm not sure if it'll be good permanently. If its just a chepo LP, i'll poke voodoo needles all over it and throw it in a bonfire :)

Hi there,

It is definite that it cant be repaired back to its original state...
However, after gluing back the 2 parts (Using Contact Glue aka Glue Sniffer's Gule) and held down by a F clamp for 24Hrs, please use a smaller guage string..

As the repaired neck will not hold up the convection 11 or 10th guage...

Take it easy man...

PS: is that a Yamaha APX Series made in Taiwan?

if done with the right glue and technique. it'll make the joint strong for a few good years.

Apot_red :what contact glue or glue sniffer's glue are you talking about?

We're dealing with wood here so ordinary super strong glue most probably will not bond that well. The best is still wood glue(there are diff grades and brands again), that's how guitars are made anyway. You can try epoxy(good for diy) but you'll often see epoxy used on cheaper guitars that eventually fall into pieces.

Also, the repairer got to be skillful enough to make sure the job is done clean instead of creating more damage to the wound. Most jobs i've seen leaves a pile of messy glue marks all around it. Though it's fix, it's not very pleasant to see.

=Gr3y

oops....I mean PVA gule which dries transparent...its used in woodwork. the consistency allows it to seep inbetween grains and form a good bond.

The other type of glue is solvent based gule (rubber gule) smelly, is used for laminating table top formica on to bare wood. (Glue sniffers uses these products....) apply on both sides wait 1-2 hrs, then clamp both sides together wait for a day....

As for epoxy, so far is the best choice, mix part A and B together, Use a stryinge and pump contents inbetween the damaged parts. Clamp the 2 parts together, wipe off the excess epoxy, and wait a day....

Hope that helps....:mrgreen:

Hi there, i feel your pain. My '93 Gibson Les Paul Std has also been knocked off a stand and fallen to the ground, resulting in pretty much the same break in the headstock as yours.

Please let me assure you with all my heart and in all honesty that this is a very common issue for angled-headstock guitars! I personally know of at least three or four other people who have had exactly the same neck damage due to the same cause - falling off a guitar stand, or being accidentally dropped on the ground. Your headstock fracture is quite standard, as far as headstock fractures go, and it looks like a fairly clean break so repairing it should be quite straightforward - if done by a professional luthier.

My Les Paul's headstock broke in 2003, and I only managed to get it fixed in 2004 because I couldn't find anyone I trusted to do the job. Since then, the guitar has played and performed flawlessly, and still sounds as good as ever! I've continued to string it up with 10s, with no problem at all. Even though it wasn't a very good repair job, it still worked very well and the repair has held up to this day.

My bandmate in Vertical Rush has also dropped his SG, resulting in the same broken headstock. I got him to send it to Malcolm Tan, and here is Malcolm's page detailing the repair job. http://www.mtlutherie.com/fixes/repair_SGBrokenHead.htm

It was a really quick job, and my bandmate got the guitar back within days! It really plays as good as new, if not even better thanks to Malcolm's stellar setup (which was part of the job). And because he needed to use a guitar, I lent him my once-broken LP, just to show him that a guitar with a headstock repair is still as usable as a normal guitar.

I'll second Shredcow's recommendation and strongly urge you to contact Malcolm - www.mtlutherie.com as he really is the best there is, and your guitar deserves nothing less than that.

Trust me, its not the end of the world, your guitar can be restored and be almost as good as new. Don't fret!

hope this cheers you up a bit.

aahh milk boi...it's more likr broken ...not fracture...only the neck face plate is holding it aye...

Yup ...Malcolm does a great job...

yea just took another look, and then saw the 2nd pic which didn't load properly. that's a bigger break than it looks. still, its repairable.

looks like an easy job for a good luthier. the crack line will still be there but the guitar will hold up if was repaired well.

Yeah go to Malcolm, the last time i asked him about repairing a broken headstock Les Paul (Same as yours fell off guitar stand and cracked the same way too!) its about 200+. But he does a really good job and you can trust him. Of cause i did not send it for repair haha , its already half the price of what i paid for the guitar. If the guitar really mean alot to you, then of cause find him!

Back