Is Bass Setup really Necessary?

wenmien

Does a bass setup really make a difference to your basses?
How much can I expect to spend?
Just got a brand new bass through the mail.
Plays well as is.
Need some input from lao cheows here.

Kam Sia

Not a lao cheow, but ...

Yes it makes a difference, but it's subjective. Experienced players would be better able to tell what exactly feels different, while play once in a blue moon hobbyist might simply say "plays easier" without being able to pinpoint what exactly is better. Then again some might say no difference at all, or it's even worse. Each player has their own preferred settings. You should make sure to talk with your tech. If you love very very low action and don't care about string buzz, you'll have to make sure to tell the tech, or they might 'fix' the string buzz (which most people would want) and end up giving you higher action than you like.

Even if it didn't come from a temperate region, having flown around the world, the variations in temperature and humidity on the plane would have changed the wood. So it might feel playable but it might not be optimal, and getting used to this might get you developing bad habits in your playing.

Best advice is get work from someone like Beez who you can sit and observe, and ask what he's doing and what it does to the instrument and for your playing. Then next time you're better informed to make your own judgement on whether any work needs to be done.

Haven't visited a tech for setup in a while but iirc expect to spend ~$50. If you learn to do it yourself, free. And because Billy Sheehan says it better than me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VjmTQv_KOA&t=4m32s

if it plays well, then dnt change it.

If it plays well, without buzz, then ur neck n string height is setup ok. U will also need to check for intonation on the higher(12 and beyond)frets with a tuner. And then overall sound balance between the pickups by adjusting the distance between the pickups and the strings.

Bass setup doesn't cost much, 30 to 40 bucks or so. U can also learn to do it yourself.

Thanks Guys! Appreciate all your opinions!

One Question: if I'm learning lots of slap/pop style...how should my string heights be set? High? Low?

Thanks. But "low" also = "fret noise/buzz".

So, low action and fret buzz are trade-offs?

:(

not exactly, a gd bass with gd fret work wldn't have tht problem, at least to how low i've been setting up my basses

how the bassist plays also plays a part, pluck hard, pluck soft matters. tht's y i always tell pple tht they must learn to do some basic setting up for their instruments cause they can really customised it to their own style

Back