Intro - soft

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all

Thank you for checking out this website and signing on as members. It is great to see so many like-minded people who come together and share information.

Ok, a little on myself.

Used to learn the electronic organ from Sebastian Seah in primary school and then moved on to learn the piano. Was introduced to playing in a band at Pek Kio Community Centre. I think I was like in Sec 2. It was there I learned to play drums, guitar and bass. Happiest time of my life!!! The special person I want to mention here is Mr Bernard Low, the man who relentlessly go around teaching young kids to play music. His action has changed many kids' life. Giving them a skill for life.

After years of peeping through the windows of yamaha, i finally took up the synthesizer course with Khew Sin Sun. Opened my world to the computer music.

Learned to play pop piano from Victor Pillay who is also my mentor to teaching music.

During my poly days, SAE came to town and I did not wait a second to sign up. Just being able to turn those knobs makes my dreams better at night.

Went to apply for MDC (Music and Drama Company) for my NS as a soundman. Got in and had the best training possible. Hi Francis Tan!!! Cannot drink with this guy, he will drown you!!!

On the second day after ORD, joined a video production company. Boss asked if I know how to use ProTools. I said, "Nope, but I am good with computer and audio/music. Should not be a problem". True enough, I click click and things works. Basically, what I did was recording VO, putting music, sound effects to picture. Also have to follow crew to shoot. It was really fun! Everyone loves movie making. Hi Michael Fu.

Went on to work at City Music promoting the 8 track digital multi-track recorder that uses VHS. Hee..hee know what's that? Ya, Alesis Adat. Good right. Sell like hot cakes.

Quarter life crisis. Went to study at Full Sail Center for the Recording Arts. He..heee actually an excuse to holiday.

Joined a pretty big computer company after coming back to Singapore. Did mainly multimedia stuff like web, presentation...

Itchy backside and got roped to join animation company.

Started my own company since 2001. Doing stuff from web, interactive cd-rom, animation, multi-cam video shoot for concerts and performance, and anything that interest us.

Ya, there you have it. My life story.

hi james......

how's life?....... it's been quite some time since we met at Rock Resolution2005.......

hope 2 catch up soon again.......

:twisted:

Wah james, your life is like.. WOAH. =/ I wanna try alot of things but theres like so many restrictions. Sigh..

wow... thts way cool james.. haha i am in film sound and video.. quite close to wat u are doing.. and i wan to apply for music and drama in the army when i get there... but hopefully i can make it.. wahaha.. well nice to meet u.. and i believe u are the webmaster for this site? well this is great...

yeah..i wish i could be like you james, pursue education in music or related field..but parents nag all the time..apply for university..engineering or some other course..very sian..have to think twice about going for a course in lasalle or somewhere..

hi afterdeath, great show you guys put up during the Rock Resolution 2005. Practise hard and you will rock this little island soon.

hi Newbie, restrictions is a mental barrier. Once you can see pass the barrier, there will be no more restrictions. Ok ok, in real life, this is not so easy to practise. Take baby steps. Keep the goal in view. You will reach it somehow.

hi NoMiS, nice to meet you. ya, i am the fellow who spend more time on this website than any one else. Should be lah. FSV! I would love to be in that course. If anyone is complaining about the course, then they will be glad to find out that things are just about the same in the real world! ha..haa... equipment don’t always work, peope-people problem, client kick your butt, 2 weeks with 3 hours of sleep each day.....

hi Jem007, I always consider myself very lucky because my parents were very supportive of my decisions. Somehow, I show them that I am capable of making a decent living since young. I work for my dad in his tailor shop from the day I was born. We live in those old shop houses. I would help him to write down the measurements while he do the measuring. Then we started selling ready-made clothing, tablecloths, blankets, shoes... things that the Indian tourist wanted. So for me, I have been proving myself to my old man all the time.

James,

That was one really exciting journey! You really have a wide range of experience in the audio/ visual industry.

Want to say again - thanks for setting up this website. I remembered the days of the Singapore Music Forum (the delphi forum, if I remember corrently). SOFT certainly captured a larger and wider population - not to mention the nice web design. SOFT had come a long way, hasn't it? After changing it's design, being hacked a few times...

Great work James!

hi Cheez

Thanks for the kind words. Ya, me like new experiences.

Oh, just got a project to produce music for a musical. Hee..hee... 5 songs only lah.

James...james...hehehe

first got to know u at our first public performance at kovan. you gave me your card...went to this website and i got hooked on it ...ever since..

seriously..
:wink:

and u take nice pictures! hehe..

didn't know you have a lot of experience in the various industries that u mentioned...eye opener..hehe
a man of few words but a whole lot of wisdom everyone... :)

James, James

James, james, where would SOFT be without you? Finally, the master of SOFT has intro himself. har har.

Though I have never met you before, i am very grateful for this baby of yours. Oh yar, one thing I never got to find out. What does SOFT stand for?

hi GrimBrody

i was lucky to catch your first performance! hee..hee. so i got your virgin gig pix! i will keep the pix nicely and when you guys make it big, i can fetch some big bucks from them! ha.ha..haa

hi Enigma

S.O.F.T. stands for ... drum roll .... Sound Of Friends Together. Ha..ha.. cheezy right. But I got this idea when I was still very young lah.

Cheezy it may be but it certainly does bring musicians from all walks of life together! Cheers to that! :D

hey doode,

What type of musical issit? Chinese or English? Can lemme hear the pieces when you are done? I is always very interested to do soundtracks and musical pieces for either movies or plays. Lemme know eh? :D Thanks!

hi AgingYouth

3 are covers and 2 are originals. English musical for primary school kids.

James,

Great to know that you're writing for musicals! I wrote one with about 10 acts and 2 scenes a number of years ago. Recently I found out about a software for live performance called SFX by stage research (http://www.stageresearch.com/). If I had found out about this software then, it would have saved me lots of headaches and trouble!

What software are you using for getting your music and cues together for the musical?

james. a big THANK YOU for setting up such an awesome forum to gather us mad pple. ahaha. i find tt ALL de time when i aint playing my guitar ill neva fail to pop by to see wats going on. at least it makes us all feel tt we arent alone on our endless quest for music. thanks :D

soft said:
hi AgingYouth

3 are covers and 2 are originals. English musical for primary school kids.

Hehehe, it definitely sounds like fun...

When there are kids ard, there's bound to be some hilarious moments. Watched a Christmas play last year. This little boy who was acting as a sheep headbutted another boy in the groin. If the musical has some moments like these, I wanna watch it! hahah... :lol:

Greetings, James. Certainly an interesting and enriching life you've had. I am sure there will be many more to come. Indeed, SOFT has grown from strength to strength - surviving the hacking and all - with 5K members. Great stuff and good work!!!

Back