Intro: coolken (Saxophone beginner)

coolken

hi,
i am a newbie to this forum as well as a beginner to saxophone. therefore donno is this the correct way of posting my Q. sorry if i posted wrongly at the wrong place.

wanna to get myself a alto saxophone first before my lesson begin. to my shock when i was walking thru some of the local music shops, i realized that there are super a lot of diff brands of alto saxophone alone. this gives me a lot of headaches on selection of my first sax. therefore required any expert advices. basically i have a tight budget of getting one for less than $700.

these are the brands and pls kindly give me yr advices:
prelude , vivra, montona, stagg , jin yin, yamaha and etc. yamaha is far too ex for me.

thank alot

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ...

try Dan Music at #04-35 Peninsula Shopping Centre for a good 2nd hand saxaphone - save $$$

HE'S GOT WHAT u NEED

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE ...

try Dan Music at #04-35 Peninsula Shopping Centre for a good 2nd hand saxaphone - save $$$

HE'S GOT WHAT u NEED

thank for the reply. cos i went to PCS too but didn't manage to find any shop that sell sax. what u think about the brand that i mention earlier on? are they good?

The Yamaha YAS-23 is a good student model to start with. You won't go wrong with it.

You can also get a 2nd hand Yamaha at Accent Music (www.accent.com.sg)

If you want the China made ones, you can consider this brand Chateau which is probably available at Dennis, his shop is at 175, Bencoolen Street, # 01-06, Burlington Square, Singapore 189649

Last edited:
oOO...hahah i am a saxophone player too...haha picked up the sax from joining my school symphonic band. Still playing it now...You can try this webbie to get more info--> http://forum.saxontheweb.net
But i think you most probably eard of it already...lol
If you are for budget then get those China brands the lor..Yamaha are the more reccomendable ones if you have a little bit more money

Hi I'm also a fellow noob sax player too. If you want to find made in China Sax, i know Ranking Sports at Bras Bersa has quite a few. If i'm not wrong thier Alto sax costs about $500-$600 plus. Hope that helps :)

Hey, nice to see another sax player around. :cool: Like what has been said before, its really what you pay is what you get. If you want to get seasoned and used to playing a saxaphone, but not want to dive into it that far, I reccomend a 2nd hand instrument from Cash Converters or any of the forementioned places. Do note that 2nd hand instruments might require from a little to alot of refurbishing, keep that in mind.

You can try Dennis music at http://www.dennismusicshop.com/. That shop belongs the uncle who used to come and service instruments when I was still in concert band. ( lol those were the days).Its best to call them and ask around, the owner might have some good deals. Do remember to mention if you are looking for a 1st hand or 2nd hand instrument, and your budget etc. You can also take your woodwind/brass instruments down there for servicing too, he does a great job.

All the best!

Last edited:
=lexxmexx

thank for the reply. but anyway i tried accent music and so don have any 2nd hand yas etc. is china brand good? i heard alot of bad remark about china brand one.

=mervs

wah cash converter got sell sax? which branch? and btw, will the condition be good for e sax sold in cc as they are not the expert in sax. do u recommend prelude n any idea prelude comes from where and is it a taiwan brand? maybe i shd try dennis some times but i scare what he sell is far away from my budget... wat u think?

anyway wanna thank you guys for yr advice so far. anyone can tell me can prelude suitable to buy? it come from where? is it consider a bad sax to start with?

look like a used YAS is a good sax for beginner to start with. anyone is selling a yas or know someone is selling it, pls pm me. thanks

=coolken

If you are lucky, yes, you can find Saxes from Cash Converters. I've seen Tenors and Altos on and off in various conditions. So really a hit and miss thing at times. And don't be afraid to call and ask the shop, never hurts to ask.

If you really want to get from Cash Converters, be sure to test it thoroughly and you may even need to spend a couple of hunderds to overhaul the horn to make it decently playable.

You can try calling Accent again to see if they carry other brands of altos. The good thing about Accent is that they have repairmen standing by to fix problems should you discover any of them when you are buying it.

I emailed cash converters not too long ago. The seem to have many yamazuki's ( never heard of it , doubt it'll be good anyway ). They had one or two jupiters and a yas-875 (non ex i think) for 1.3k , i think it should be gone by now. Try band-world and dennis, but do expect to wait for a reply.

875 for only $1.3?!?!?!? That's a steal, man!

It is a chinese made horn. Chinese made horns are of poor quality.

I wouldn't buy it if i were you. If you feel you really like it and no matter what we say about chinese horns wont change your mind, by all means, buy the sax and learn how to play.

relax.. but thank for the advice. i donno that prelude is a Chinese horn cos they said it is make in china but brand belong to western side.

Back