Inch Chua - Wallflower Review

theliverevolution

2881800525-1.jpg

Review done by TLR.

Argubly one of Singapore's famous singer-songwriters, Inch Chua has become a well known name in the local music scene. Not only is her name highly unusual for a lady, but the fact that she fronts one of Singapore's more successful Alternative-Rock bands - Allura - with her vocals cutting through the mix. Those who are willing to spend time to listen to Inch will be blown away at her singing, which is passionate and has a distinct aura to it.

Having some excess time due to Allura's indefinite hiatus, Inch has forayed beyond the familiar rock anthems she is accustomed to and to do something that she had always dreamed of doing. It started with the experimental EP, The Bedroom, and it has given her more than enough confidence to create more songs to create an album - the Wallflower.

Wallflower, simply, blows your mind away. Inch's versatile vocals shine with passion, giving layers of emotion and breathing life into the music, be it a faster number in Mt. Epiphany, or a slower song such as Have It Your Way. One cannot help but to draw comparisons between Inch and Shirley Manson, but while there are some similarities, Inch's vocals clearly stand out as her own trademark. It is no wonder why the term "Siren" is used to describe her at times, because like the mythical beast, her voice enchants all those who hear it.

Continuing on with experimentation, Inch continues to expand on this idea in Wallflower. While the acoustic guitar and electronic loops still play a an important role in the music, Inch flirts with sound expansion by adding a proper drum set, and also employing the use of a viola and a piano. She continues to infuse Folk Acoustic with Electronica, but also mixes a little Jazz into the concoction - a very delicate balance that could go wrong if not done properly.
The results, however, speaks for itself. Wallflower ends up as an album full of life, never a dull moment. Each song is fleshed out as its own character, yet it still conforms to each other and provides that sense of unity, making it enjoyable to listen.

However, at certain times, the balance is also disrupted, leaving the music a little jarring. This is quite obvious in Rule The World, where the drum tracks seems to have choked the music, thus losing that simplicity factor as seen in The Bedroom. Pins & Needles, on the other hand, sounds stripped. While it is a great song, it feels as if a little more could be done to expand on it to flesh out a fuller sound. These two tracks tend to break that delicate balance, leaving one's thumb hovering over the fast-forward button, undecided to relieve the uncomfort feeling or continue listening to the song.

Lastly, at 39 minutes, the album feels short. It doesn't help that the first track and the last track only serves as an intro/outro, but it leaves the listener wishing that a little more could have been better.

The underlying statement:
Inch Chua continues to dazzle people with her music, able to encapture the listener both live and in her album. This album doesn't fail to disappoint, surpassing expectations placed upon it. It has raised the bar for local music once again, showing that perhaps,not all is lost as one thinks it is.

Rating: 9/10

Note:
On a side-note, this album is free and can be downloaded from her official website.
On another note, she's holding a performance in lieu of her first album, and will be on the 30th July at the Esplande Theatre. Tickets can be bought at Sistic for $25 and is going fast.

Last edited:
I have to say, the lyrics are very well crafted! Apart from the musical identity that she has crafted for herself, of course.
I have to disagree with the thoughts on Rule the World, though. I think it sounds better in comparison to The Bedroom's release, I think it was more jarring in The Bedroom, its my opinion anyway.

However, with that said, your review encompasses my opinion of the album, I wish there was one or two tracks more- the score for me would be a 9 as well!

Listening to this album leaves me feeling very refreshed and inspired. I share her work to many many people, because it deserves to be shared!

I always liked her vocals ...wow now she has a real sultry look .... must check out her website

Thanks for the review, keep seeing her flyer everywhere these days but was never compelled to check it out until I read your review.

Good stuff, I must say, great voice and the whole album is very well thought out and put together!

Back