Ibanez Prestige SZ2020

subversion

Ibanez_Prestige_SZ2020.jpg

Ibanez Prestige SZ2020
List: $2,100

Scorn, regret, denial, hostility- these are the very sentiments that overwhelmed me upon hearing the discontinuation of the Ibanez Prestige SZ1220, only to be superseded by a Korean version, the SZ2020. To ardent Ibanez fans, the Prestige tag on a Korean product is a desperate attempt to fill the manufacturer`s coffers while forgiving a compromised ware. Fortunately, these were only pessimistic denials, after a personal encounter with the SZ2020, I was a convert.

Revised features
The SZ2020 retains its predecessor`s outline entirely; makeovers are in the cosmetics, electronics & hardware. Perhaps the most attention grabbing change is the ungraded flame maple top which adorns this Prestige make; it`s a non-book match affair & proved to be an eyesore for some. The SZ2020 sports the Gibraltar Custom bridge & hardtail assembly, so gone is the through string employment of the predecessor. Over at the headstock, the tuners have gone one-up, featuring Gotoh`s H.A.P (Height Adjustable Post) units which are adjustable to accommodate nut string break angle adjustments, should it be deemed necessary. The headstock is also adorned with a rosewood laminate to make it more visually captivating, after failing to do so over at the body. The 22 frets are now jumbos as opposed to the previous, medium version. The limelight of this model is the American Seymour Duncan/ IBZ pickups, which is the formidable revision manifested in this model.

Playability/ Tone
This is an absolutely potent guitar if you are in for a premium set-neck model. The entire wood work has a satin finish, so the SZ2020 feels like a very functional whole. The neck isn`t the typical Wizard-thin profile; it`s a trimmed `C`, not as meaty as a typical Fender either. The set-neck feature makes upper fret registers rather effortless, so you have every opportunity to dig into each & every fret.

The Gibraltar Custom is the exact model featured in Mike Mushok`s signature model; it remains every bit sustain-inducing, while maintaining a low, shred, action. The tune-o-matic type contraption gets my worthy praise as it remains smooth for the picking hand. The manufacturer claims that guitars with a GC bridge on board have a superior sustain because the tune-o-matic portion has a metal, base plate anchor to help diffuse string vibrations into the body`s internals, hence accentuating sustain. It`s a make-believe claim as far as I am concerned, but it`s a contraption that proved the claim.

Finally, I`d like to thank Ibanez for collaborating with Seymour Duncan for having the Seymour Duncan/ IBZ humbuckers in there, which proved lethal for high gain (bridge) & vintage, sweet, tones (neck). These units were modeled after 2 trustworthy models by Duncan- the Distortion (bridge) & `59 (neck). They were also made classy by sporting a `covered` look- note the darkened inner pole pieces of each humbucker.

Last say
I`m still of the opinion that the 3-way pickup selector level could have been a little bigger & less stiff. This aside, the SZ2020 proved itself worthy of the asking price, despite its Korean make. Those who have a staunch, Japanese Ibanez sentiment will shun this Prestige offering, deeming it to be a status defect more than a worthy investment. A fantastic guitar for the discerning guitar player.

Personal rating: 9.5/ 10

**FYI- The Ibanez Prestige SZ2020 comes from Korea`s World Music Instrument Co, which handles the construction of the SE range, by PRS.

Back