I got my first bass today! :D

Vile

Like the title said, I got my first bass today! I'm so happy. :)
Anyways, now that I have it, should I start on scales or just start trying out the fingerings and play songs?
Thanks lots. :)

Mess around with it first. :) Congrats! haha. play around.! I started out by learning songs and now i dont know any theory know a LITTLE bit of scales. thus i cant really improvise. So i think its better to start going for lessons. =/

bro, congratulations I remember the feelin' "nong, nong ago" :)

dude, just ROCK OUT on it... the lessons can come later...and picplzthanks!

Lols, sorry, I can't upload pics cause I got a phone that is like @#!%!@#
So yaah... Sorry, haha.
But uhmm... Fretting is hard omg.
My thumb always seems to go out of place.
And I tried songs, but they are always too fast for me ><

chill... just learn major and minor scales, and focus more on technique than theory. U will go a very long way. now there is YouTube which is fantastic for learning

the first song i learnt before buying a bass was actually keep your hands off my girl by GC. hahah. pretty easy song. after that i moved on to muse mcr blah blah blah. haha.

So, I've got the bass for 4 days.
Well, here's an update on what I've been doing.
I have school so I practice about an hour daily and try to go beyond that.
So I've learnt how to play the E chromatic scale, with no mistakes, just that sometimes my fingers will accidently hit the next string causing 2 strings to vibrate at once. So its a bit clashing.
And sometimes my pinky just can't reach the note and I must stretch ><
And I play using my fingers and find that its really a bit soft, compared to when I use a pick. =x
And I know how to play a quite easy song. :)
Not very play but quite decent... I mean at lesat won't get wrong notes but like I mentioned, will accidently hit another string when using my fingers ><
I'm currently working on my E major scale...
So any tips/advice? :D
Thanks in advance. :)

Well anyone?
I learnt a few scales today too...
G chromatic scales, G major and C major.
Anyone can tell me tips on what to do? hahas. :)

My thumb always seems to go out of place.

perhaps your left hand (i assume you meant left thumb) is not correctly positioned? check youtube for guides.

your left hand with fingers over fretboard and thumb underneath should look like letter 'C'. dont hold it like some guitarist which is like letter 'U' (aka thumb on low E string).

-

Like the title said, I got my first bass today! I'm so happy. :)
Anyways, now that I have it, should I start on scales or just start trying out the fingerings and play songs?
Thanks lots. :)

Why don't you play Zombie by Cranberries? Or Stand By Me. But when you're pro, try and learn The Beatles song. Their bassist (Sir Paul McCartney) rulez!

Learn songs which involve scales! Well that literally combines them both yea?
That way you can practise your fingering position for the scales also.
Some simple ones you can start out with is Monster by Matchbook Romance
It feels really good to play once you mastered it :)
Have fun!

How to know what songs is using what scales huh? Lol. Cause i kinda memorise the 'shape' of scales but i still cant really figure out what scales what song is using. Cause to me some of the scales 'shape' are super similar. >_>

Back