how to train your ear?

rickylah

hi, like to understand how ppl can pick the right note when they just listen to songs. without trying notes here and there to see its correct.

i tried searching for the program online but not that user friendly.

how do u guys train your ear?

books and websites are very welcome!

to me i practise every low notes by using A and E strings at first.
figure out the A B C D E F G low notes and remember it by heart.

that's how i started it out as a beginner, currently im slight bit advanced so
might be correct tunes but diff notes at plays.

Err.. How do you train your ear by using books man? Haha.. I mean.. What on earth can books teach you regarding this matter?

Best thing is experience.. And it takes a little awareness as well.. I know people who've been playing for years but can't hear much diff between this and that.. :mrgreen:

Err.. How do you train your ear by using books man? Haha.. I mean.. What on earth can books teach you regarding this matter?

Best thing is experience.. And it takes a little awareness as well.. I know people who've been playing for years but can't hear much diff between this and that.. :mrgreen:

yes indeed, experiences and by heart..it take sometimes :mrgreen:

i guess what you're talking about is perfect pitch? for most people, its a talent, u just have it. so if u don't then too bad. but well, people that start fro a young age also have it, those that undergo training with yamaha. Yamaha's teaching style is by sofage, so by the time you're old enough you probably have a good chance of getting perfect pitch. i wouldn't say books and programs would help much, but maybe playing more songs will get you more familiar with scales and chords. and over time you may improve.

For me, Im completey oblivious to which note is which, but Im quite good when it comes to searching out notes by feel. I practice by figuring out songs without tabs.

Playing modes and scales can help to train ears. Coz most bassline start from scales, try to play different modes like (Lydian, Dorian, Mixolydian etc) and try to recognize different scale first then slowly try to recognize the notes in it.

First of all,

Try tuning your guitar by ears...that is your first steps to ear training....

I see so many young players totally lost when without a electronic tuner...

If you can't, practice it till you can....it is normal as a musician to be able to tune by ear...to me kinda abnormal if a musician can't tune by ear...

However I do know some people who just can't get it...everyone is different...

just keep practisins...there is no secret..

Back