how to do to get jazzy sound

marx

my guitar is fender strat and string gauge is .9
what do i need to sound like jazzy
thick warm n bassy..
thanks.

cliche - thicker strings, humbucking neck pickup, thicker pick, larger amp speaker size, a lot more wattage headroom on the amp, maybe even a hollowbody guitar.

what i believe - practice. and a lot of EQing + playing style

Hey man,

i use a fender strat too and while in the future i will definitely invest in a hollow body i just use my strat for the jazz gigs.

Trying using your neck pickup and rolling off the tone a lot... sometimes i roll off to 1 or 2 or no tone at all. but it really depends on how much you need to cut through.

You definitely need thick strings, at least a .10s onwards... if you're crazy enough up it to .11s, hopefully you'll get a creamy tone

To get a jazzy sound, get a Jazz guitar, plug it into a jazz amp, play jazz chords.
oh make sure you get a jazz drummer.

If you want the woody sound, getting a (semi) hollow body archtop helps a lot!

But for "just" jazzy sounds, I think a strat/tele solid body can do the job very well too.
Example: Ted Greene the great master @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuee6blvj8

[Cheap solutions to get closer to that sound]
1) Thicker pick. I like Jim Dunlop Jazz III (red color)
2) Thicker strings and/or flat wound.

[FREE, but requires training]
2) Dig deeper (not harder, though that gets you a different dynamic that's useful as well) when picking to get fatter sound. As opposed to just using the very edge of the pick, which gets sharper/thinner sound, which is useful too. I like the variety. Just by varying my pick depth can change the tone.
3) Play closer to the neck. (Generally: Neck rounder warmer, Bridge thinner brighter)
4) Use your fingers (meat, not nails)
5) Use your thumb. (ala Wes Montgomery)

I bought Pacifica 112J as my first electric and found the sound wanting and could not for my life as a total newbie get any nice sounds out of it. After I got a Epiphone archtop (Joe pass) the sound is just right there, no effort. Though I had to learn to play it right, as over time I noticed that different type of electric guitar requires different picking technique.

Archtops have to be picked softer (when amped) and with more follow through (like stroking it) to get that typical jazzy woody smokey sound. The soft unplugged sound is lovely too.

Solid bodies (I only play clean with some reverb, no experience with drive/distortion), to get it to sing also took me very long. Going back to it every few months trying to coax a nice clean sparkly fender sound out of it. Took a period of 5 years (since I busy at work and play the guitar rarely) to get a tone I can actually sit down and practice with, since the ugly sound is just a major turn off for me. So my patience has paid off, as I wanted to sell the guitar off at the beginning thinking it's the guitar... though a better guitar with actually decent pickups would be a good upgrade after acquiring the skills on a "training" guitar. (I'm still training.. :) )

Sorry if that looks like a wall-of-text attack, but I identify with the situation and trying to help as much as I can.

Hi,

Just to share my experience:
I used a Strat-type guitar (old 20+ years old Peavey, poplar body, gauge 9 strings) into an old 20+ years old Peavey solid state amp.
I rebuilt the guitar recently, mainly changing the pickups and electronics to Lace Alumitones, 250k pots, .047uF caps (old Soviet PIO caps).
And well, the strat-amp combo used to sound "straty" but now, it sound like a smooth Jazz archtop guitar when I'm using clean channel....and you don't really need to roll down the tone (treble) for that.
To add on to the inputs earlier, using a thicker pick (I used 1.20) with rounded edge and smooth surface helps as well.

Last edited:
Back