How to, and Gears needed Multi use of KRK Powered Speakers

trevor98

Hello to everyone,
I have a Korg T61 and currently connected to a KRK powered speakers.
I wanted the speakers to be used for multi purpose for (switching easily) between them as:
a) connect to KRK via existing TRS connector
b) connect to iPod
c) connect to my PC
d) connect to my TV
e) connect to my DVC/CD player
f) fuure provision to connect to another keyboard

Can anyone out there, please help to advise, what is needed and how can it be done, and technically how the match the connectors.
Appreciate very much.
Cheers.

Cheez,
Thanks for your advise.
Well, there are hundreds of mixers around and I'm confused what is good or appropriate.
Any recommendations ?
Thanks.

I think a mixer might be overkill, unless you need to change the sound volume for each input source often.

One of those cheap multi audio switching boxes with RCA connectors they sell at a bunch of places in Sim Lim might be sufficient. Everything in your list except the Korg uses RCA connectors so I'd suggest getting TRS to RCA cables for the Korg and use one of those boxes.

Thanks to Poladark, for your suggestions.
In the long run, I'm thinking of using only 1 set of speakers (a combination of severals in future), for all the aud needs.
Would like to make music the center of entertainment or usage, and with add-on (playing CDs, TVs) when not playing, keyboard, so can make full use of the speakers.
Guess, we may need both the audio switching box and a mixer, but don't have good idea on how to connect and piece everything together, especially integrating the mixer.
If we use mixer, is it good to go for a powered or non-powered?
We need to consider the number of inputs and outputs, right?
Cheers

Most mixers are powered... but really... most devices have a built-in volume control in them anyway and that negates the need of a mixer somewhat. Those switchboxes however, are typically passive and usually have a lot of inputs. You only need one pair of outputs - for your speakers.

Powered Mixer usually refers to mixer with built-in amplifier.

Since trevor98 already has a pair of Powered KRKs, a non-powered mixer would be fine.

Advantage with a mixer is that you can mix different source and output to the speakers. For example, you can playback your fav music on your ipod and play your keyboard + sing through a microphone all at once.

Disadvantage = cost.

Something like this would be nice to have -> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG102c/

Hi All, Thanks for keeping this alive.
It's sweet to have one mixer recomended here. Appreciate it.
I've also tried conecting a computer's audio cable directly connecting between the iPod into the KRK's RCA input, it didn't work.
Thank God it didn't damage the speaker.
Cheers..

Hm, yes. You're right Soft. Playing along to your iPod or computer or DVD player might be very enjoyable. There should be a lot of reasonably-priced 12 (or more) channel mixers from low cost brands like Behringer, Alto, and others. Of course, You'd need a bunch of RCA-to-TSR converter plugs too but that shouldn't cost too much.

Personally i've been using a very convulated combination of an old 8 channel ADAT interface (soon-to-be replaced with a Zoom R16) and a patch bay for my gear since my previous Behringer mixer burned out (with black smoke and horrid smell).

I always thought mixers were terribly complicated very quickly once you started making more advanced patching... but for basic input handling any mixer should be okay.

poladark, you are using ADAT to 'mix'!!! That got to be the most 'expensive' mixer!!!

Anyway, you seem to be building up quite a bit there. Maybe you could share with us what is your goal? Sometimes users buy what they need NOW and end up getting the wrong thing because their goal is actually something else.

*HINT* if you are getting the R16, you won't need to get a mixer anymore.

poladark, you are using ADAT to 'mix'!!! That got to be the most 'expensive' mixer!!!
Well, my EMU 1212M sound card has ADAT I/O and a nice graphical mixer-like user interface and that's what i've been using up until now. I bought a 1U rack 8x8 ADAT interface second hand for around $100 ages ago that i used with my Korg OASYS PCI card (which only had drivers for Windows 98). More recently I found a great deal on the EMU 1212M card years ago in the Creative Store in Jurong. At the time that combination beat all the other 8x8 solutions on the market for PCs i could find. The inputs on the Alesis ADAT interface were extremely clean and when recording from a good source (like my Novation Drum Station) there was in some cases NO noise at all in the recorded digital material whatsoever. Amazing quality, even for aging gear.

It suited my needs pretty well for a while for my synthesizers etc in my little home studio. Recently i started playing in a band and so i wanted something more portable and the Zoom R16 is the best i've been able to find that seems to match my personal requirements and those of my band.

And frankly, i'm getting a bit bored with all my racked studio stuff even if i love the sound of a lot of it. Portable stuff is more fun. I still break my back lugging my Moog Little Phatty around to practice though. (I wish they'd make a version with a light-weight plastic chassi.)

Anyway, you seem to be building up quite a bit there. Maybe you could share with us what is your goal? Sometimes users buy what they need NOW and end up getting the wrong thing because their goal is actually something else.
Me getting the mixer was one of those things. Everyone told me that i needed a mixer and in the end I spent too much money on cables and connectors.. and too much time configuring the damn thing. In the end when it burned out i was only too happy to try other solutions.

*HINT* if you are getting the R16, you won't need to get a mixer anymore.
I already bought the R16 actually. It just hasn't gotten properly integrated with all my other gear just yet.

Unless you wanna only use one device at a time, then the only solution is mixer board. Or an high end audio inference, you don't really need all the EQ.

Hi Poladark, thanks for sharing.
I took a peep at the R16 specs, and looks kinda cool to have one, but didn't really know how would it work or apply to my situation (didn't wanna buy and not serve my purpose).

Any suggestions on the "high end audio interface", as mentioned by kongwee? Sounds like a another great option.
Cheers

I just suggest lah, maybe you look for Presonus Firestudio like configuration. But you must think how to control the volume between all the device.

hello from perth.

Korg T61 :
Outputs:
MAIN=L/MONO, R
Individual-1, 2
Headphones

x) T61 output > stereo input
a) output via TRS (L/R) > KRK
b) ipod > 1/8 earphone > RCA > 1/4 jack male converters x 2 inputs (L and R) [UNLESS ur mixer support single stereo input]
c) pc > 1/8 earphone > RCA > 1/jack male converters x 2 input (L and R)
d) tv > RCA > 1/4jack male converters x 2 input (L and R)
e) ... etc etc
f) spare 2 more channels.

so you literally need minimum 12 channel mixer (behringer/yamaha whatever) or like what polardark suggested a more efficient "RCA" audio switcher, but then again I've only seen "Video RCA" switchers sold at supermarkets. and I highly predict that the next you'll be posting how to "reduce" noise or "I wanna record as well" kinda function.

if like what james has suggested the r16 ( I have one and loving it ) , what you will be doing is this :

R16 > KRK speakers via L/R output.
R16 > Headphones output if you prefer not to blast it on the speakers.
T61 > #1,2 TRS > R16
IPod > #3,4 (you can just use a TRS stereo cable and set stereo link on the 2 channels, then just plug #3.)
PC > R16 (Audio interface) > KRK
TV > RCA > 1/4jack male converters x 2 input (L and R) #5,6
DVC/CD Player > RCA > 1/4jack male converters x 2 input (L and R) #7,8
unfortunately no more spare for keyboard. but I'm sure you can unplug your ipod or cd player or tv unless you're doing all at the same time. if not buy another R16 set as slave, connect total of 16 channels and you can connect up to additional 4 more keyboards after you get yourself a functional armtransplant to play on more than 2.

hope this helps gd luck and "g'day"

I took a peep at the R16 specs, and looks kinda cool to have one, but didn't really know how would it work or apply to my situation (didn't wanna buy and not serve my purpose).
Sorry, i just went off on a tangent there talking about my stuff. The R16 doesn't seem to be the right thing for you as you've described things.

Any suggestions on the "high end audio interface", as mentioned by kongwee? Sounds like a another great option.
An audio interface is a great option if you want to do computer recording and dont mind having your (noisy?) computer turned on whenever you want to do something. I think it takes away the spontaneity somewhat, having to use a computer when you really only want to play your instruments when you have a bit of free time.

Hi Guys, apologies I went missing for a while.

Thanks to Poladark for your great explanatio, and I agree that spontaneity is important. I'm still figuring out "theoritically" before I commit any hardare.

Blueprintstudios, thanks and really appreciate for your detail setup explanation. It really helps.

Can I ask kongwee, for your more detail elaboration?

Viviandding, Thanks for putting this item, which I beleive transfering and moving files around is important.

I'm also collecting pictures of those who have posted their set-up, for study. It's great to see these.
Looks like this audio interface is the center piece, that need great considerations, man.

Cheers

At the heart of any system should be a mixing console. Somehow with the proliferation of computer-based production, a lot of folks are getting out of touch with the concept of signal flow and even the most basic of mixer functions e.g. combine several sources of audio and send them to specific outputs.

Hi Guys, apologies I went missing for a while.

Can I ask kongwee, for your more detail elaboration?

Cheers

You mean audio interface? Actually the Presonus Firebox have gain control so you still able to control volume on the unit itself. For some interface, you have to control volume on individual equipment unless control from software mixer. Some audio interface can work w/o computer and store the I/O setting.

Back