Hi professionals. :D

Hickey_

Hi people, i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before here but how do i play in key? Say the song is in key of A. so what are the notes that arent supposed to be in the key of A? Any websites to recommend? Thanks a lot of the help. ;D

Hi I am not pro, but can help you out alittle.

For western pop music, the chromatic scale has twelve tones. So all are valid.

If you meant the diatonic scale, there are 7. That would be tonic (aka root or 1), supertonic (aka 2), mediant (aka 3), subdominant (aka 4), dominant (aka 5), submediant (aka 6), leading (aka 7).

To understand what notes are sharp/flat for a scale, do use the circle of fifth chart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
A Major has 3 sharps, they are at F#, C# and G#.
So in key of A Major, the diatonic are A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#.
Hoped you've been practicing your scales. In fact, if you memorized the semitones relationship from the root, you dont even need to memorize where are the sharped/flatted notes. For example, 2 is 2 semitone away from 1, 4 is 1 semitone away from 3 etc. It makes sense memorizing semitone relationship on fretted instrument like a bass guitar because the 'shape' of the fingering remains.

What notes to play (or not to play) will depend on the chords for the song. For bassist, I think what is important is to recognise and memorize chord formula.

Am listing down the more common chords:
Major = 1-3-5
Minor = 1-b3-5
Major7 = 1-3-5-7
Minor7 = 1-b3-5-b7
Seventh = 1-3-5-b7
Diminished = 1-b3-b5
Diminished7= 1-b3-b5-bb7
Augmented = 1-3-#5
Hope you noticed in the formula, some of the notes arent diatonic (eg Minor chord has flatted 3).

If what you're looking for are the notes for walking bass lines, it would be a different topic as you have to decide on tonic or chromatic notes, based on your current note and the target note, and also the duration between them.

If you want to learn music theory, you should grab the Rudiments of Music book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudiments_of_music
All music (book) shop should carry it.

Last edited:
1/2 Diminished = 1 b3 b5 b7
Diminished = 1 b3 b5 bb7
Dominant = 1 3 5 b7

Like what Alan mentioned, the notes in key of A (A major scale) = A B C# D E F# G#
The Diatonic Chords are Amaj7 Bm7 C#m7 Dmaj7 E7 F#m7 G#m7(b5)
If you break down the notes in the listed chords, all are from the A major scale

Most of the time, to play in key, you will play notes in the major scale. That is basic.
But there are time when you use notes that are not in the major scale as passing note.

Say we wanna play a song with chords like Amaj7 E7 F#m7 Dmaj7, by using just the arpeggios (notes in chord) of what alan listed, you won't go wrong.

Studybass.com is quite good for reference.

Many thanks. But a bit too chim eh. Lol. Seldom people say the song is in key of A major right? I only know if there a song is in the key of a major then playing the notes in the major scale i wont go wrong. ):

A trick for ts:

Most begginer bassist plays only the root note of the chord and hold it as long as possible till the chord change.

You'll progress into playing root&fifth eventually (you'll notice many chords listed in my response and the person above has both notes 1 & 5). You can usually play them alternatively on the beat. Guitarist also use the root&fifth for what they call a 'power chord'.

Subsequently you'll feel bored playing just root&fifth, and that's where the chord formula will be very useful for exploring what additional notes to play. And even explore into what is called the chords inversion. For example chord C Major is C, E, G (aka 1, 3, 5). First inversion will be E, G, C (aka 3, 5, 1), second inversion will be G, C, E (aka 5, 1, 3). The notes used to spell out the chords are still correct but the mood will be different each.

Finally, you'll start to explore passing notes/walking bass lines for notes not necessarily listed in the chord nor scale.

No matter what, it's important to have fun learning together with your band members.

Last edited:
Many thanks. But a bit too chim eh. Lol. Seldom people say the song is in key of A major right? I only know if there a song is in the key of a major then playing the notes in the major scale i wont go wrong. ):

Unless you can play by ear, you'll definitely need a score or chord chart for the song right? The score or chord chart will be able to tell you what key the song is in.

I think the inversion method is useful for improvisation.

As mentioned:
CEG = 1 3 5
EGC= 3 5 1 (C/E)
GCE = 5 1 3 (C/G)

You can play around with it.
e.g. 1 5 3, 3 1 5, 5 3 1.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sweet. then how do i form a chord?

What do you mean? We've already provided you the chord formulae.

Take for example the formulae:
Major = 1-3-5
Minor = 1-b3-5
Major7 = 1-3-5-7
Minor7 = 1-b3-5-b7

Chords for:
CMajor would be C, E, G
FMajor would be F, A, C
CMinor would be C, Eb, G
FMinor would be F, Ab, C
CMaj7 would be C, E, G, B
FMaj7 would be F, A, C, E
CMin7 would be C, Eb, G, Bb
FMin7 would be F, Ab, C, Eb

If you still couldnt understand, I'll strongly suggest you either pick up basic music theory from someone who knows well (typically the pianist/keyboardist) or attend a proper music class.

Or is your question like, 'since i know CMajor7 is C, E, G, B, how/where do I press the strings using the left fingers to form the chord?' If this is what you were asking, then you'll need to get yourself familiarized on the fretboard. For example you already know where C is on the A string. Do you know how to get the relative 3rd, 5th and 7th diatonic notes for the root of C? Next is try to form the notes of the chords with minimal hand movement/shifting. Thus fretboard familiarization is very important to play chords. Note that the pattern for the relative 3rd, 5th, 7th (or any notes for that matter) is fixed. This is one great advantage for bass guitar (which is tuned in fourths).

Also take note, unlike guitar playing, bass guitar usually dont strum the chords but use arpeggio instead.

Last edited:
If you want to play a "chord" on the bass, you can strum the power chord which is pressing 1 and 5 at the same time.

e.g. D+A (1+5)
---14-----
---12-----
----------
----------

You can pluck 1 and 3 together to get a major chord
e.g. D+F# (1+3)
------11------
------12------
--------------
-------------

But better get yourself familiar with arpeggio la. Know the role of a bass player than slowly explore other fun stuff.

i think it would be easier to just learn shapes for now, untill ur familer with them then slowly move on. shouldn't cramp up ur brain with to much theory, just enjoy holding down the groove and root note. i heard someone say this before can't remember who " if u can't hold on to one note, groove and enjoy doing it your playin the wrong instrument". learning all these things are important but dont forget what the role of the bass player is in the band :)

Back