Help!! Computer can't detect thumbdrive and gets really hot when plugged out!! IMP?

Hayashi_Miyuki

[h=1]Help!! Computer can't detect thumbdrive and gets really hot when plugged out!! IMPORTANT? <i know its off topic but please help >.< >[/h]im srsly panicking. can someone help me? >.< My computer can't detect my thumbdrive (it appears and disappears for a few seconds) and when i plug it out, it get really hot. please please, does anyone know how to solve this? practically, everything important is in my thumbdrive!! @.@

the picture is my thumbdrive and im using window 7 (i think) if that helps. http://www.mdofpc.com/onlinestore/images/options/flashdriveicon.jpg

Please do help if you know, or ask around

For me, if no other device connected, and happen a few thing not able to detect.
I would buy a new one already.
I will not wait for it death.

Hayashi : it's hilarious how some people post for the sake of wasting bandwidth and not say anything optimistic / contributive or anything humans can understand at all.

1) plug your thumbdrive to the BACK or a solid USB port. what do I mean by solid? most USB ports if you plug infront =

Mainboard > USB cable extension > to casing's USB port (that USB cable extension usually gives problems as it's not from the mainboard manufacturer, it's from the casing. and shit happens when you use a cheap casing)

2) if you plug at the back , it's the one that's soldered directly onto your mainboard. that usually provides a stable connection.

if you're using a laptop, try another USB port. or try another friend's laptop. your mainboard may have problems as I have a few semi faulty mainboards/laptops with the same issue (but no more warranty so it's just for lan gaming/office use/abuse)

if problem still persists, let us know your updates before you start panicking again.

Nothing to laugh about when something die at the time that you don't wish too.
If you can afford to loose all data in that thumb drive I have nothing to say.
This is real deal experience.

kongwee,
do you not realise that the above reply you posted did not make much sense? Don't understand what are the few things you mentioned, whether you meant buying a new thumbdrive or computer and what is dying.

Anyhow, I ever faced a similar problem with my laptop with a thumbdrive and even an SD memory card before. They detect and almost instantly disappears like as if i ejected it. You might want to try restarting your computer and see if it works again. It should solve the problem as it did for my case. Otherwise, go to My Computer > Organize > Folder and Search Options > View > Advanced Settings and check the 'View hidden files and folders' option. Apply and close. It might appear as a hidden file. I would advice you not to delete any weird unknown hidden files cause it might cause a corruption or some sort of problem to any of your folders. Just a precaution.

As for the heat part, I dont know about yours but whatever I plug into my laptop heats up probably due to long usage of the laptop and the heated air circulating around it. My thumbdrive does heat up quite abit if I leave it plugged in for a long while. Also, if im not wrong, I've heard some people saying some ports are powered(or perhaps it's the one connected directly to the mainboard as Ron mentioned) so maybe the thumbdrive needs a "powered" port? I use the same thumbdrive and always use the "powered" port because I realised it transfers my files alot faster than the other ports. Like what Ron mentioned, do test it around with another desktop/laptop then you'll find out if it's a port problem or your thumbdrive that is malfunctioning.

Last edited:
like what namrehs said "powered port" hehe.

anyway another thing i forgot to mention, if like what namrehs experienced, "slower transfers" on non powered ports, that is going by the USB 1.1 speed. you may get prompts like "device not recognised" or "device may be faster if plug into a HIspeed usb port" bla bla bla.

what happens when the SD/thumbdrive ejects on its own on and off, either the thumbdrive is failing (usually not the case) , if not it's the "front" PC non powered usb port issue which is very very common. my wife's PC always has to use the front USB 2nd (right) port, because the left replicates this exact problem which I have no choice cos the rear USB ports are taken up by the USB TV + WLAN + Mouse / iphone cable.

just sharing some info here, the deleting of .inf / .ini files after "unhiding" them is quite harmless except they control the customization of how your folder icons and other stuff etc. just don't delete C:\'s main hidden files like the ntldr sbootmgr whatever .sys files.

@bps: i srsly dont understand what u are saying o.o

i know my thumbdrive is "dead" for one thing. The only hope i have left is to retrieve the data inside. The heat part im not sure why and how but i just insert the thumbdrive into the usb port of my laptop for a few seconds and the system didnt detect it but the thumbdrive starts heating up rapidly. I tried the thumbdrive on two laptops, external usb port, the result is the same.

HM : haha that's alright, I tried to make the whole computer thing as layman as much as I can.

if you tried plugging in your thumbdrive into other laptop/computer that's functioning and it only heats up but doesn't even detect it's officially screwed.
if data is important, you can try go to a data recovery centre and see what can be done. be prepared to pay though. sorry to hear that should have backed up 2 copies.

googled :
http://www.ascon.com.sg/data_recovery.html
http://www.cbltech.com.sg

Back