HELP ! Cheap electronic drums, where got sell ?!

JustADrummer

Hi guys. Need help with choice of electronic drums. I'm thinking of getting one at the end of the year, after my Os (I'm 16).

I know nothing about them, and i've heard only sets like Roland TD-something, yamaha dtx ? Which ones do you recommend, i'm a beginner.

I need an electronic drum set that at least has a bass drum pad that is big enough to allow two pedal beaters to hit it. And the set does NOT come with pedals, i want to buy pedals seperately.

Around how much will the electronic drumset cost and where can I find it ?

And roughly how much for an Iron Cobra Power Glide double pedal nowadays ? Thinking of getting it tgt with the drumset.

P.S. I play a shitload of double bass. =p

Thanks for reading, and helping ! :)

A Warm Welcome to Soft bro.

I'm not so well verse with Electronic Drums...but many prefer the Roland TD Models as they claim that the feel is better.

best regards

Eric

Id go for Traps. They use wire mesh heads & its interchangeble to normal skin.
The feel is spot on..

wah, brother, think of buying Tama Iron Cobra!!! I am not sure about the price, but i don't think it is gonna be something below S$500.

Think twice before you spend your money on Iron Cobra. If you want to be a professional drummer in future, and if you or your family are rich enough, then go ahead, it is a good investment. If you are playing double bass for fun only, i personally think that a entry-level double pedal is enough.

Maybe you can consider this alternative. If your budget is not that much now, buy a cheap double pedal first. As your skill improved, and when you have the budget, then buy Iron Cobra.

Or maybe you can try Kozo Suganuma's method. I was in his drum clinic last year 31/8/07, i saw him using both of his foot on a single pedal. If my eyes were covered, i would have think that he is using a double pedal.

As for E-drum, i am not very familiar with roland(pricing, function and etc), but i know it is a good brand. Well, Yamaha is having sales right now until the end of this month. They are selling DTXpress IV special set, which is in the picture below at S$2385.
pro_6816_1.jpg

Budget not that much? Think of this one, DTXplorer, S$1199.
YAMAHA%20DTXPLORER.jpg

Budget not a problem? This is your best choice, DTXtreme 3 Special Set, S$5099

yamaha-dtxtreme3sp-a.jpg

or DTXtreme 3 standard set.S$4400
49238.jpg

Again, price stated are not inclusive of drum stool, speaker, and foot pedal.

Hope my reply helps~

Last edited:
if ur budget is high, i'd recommend the td 6 to 12 range... can play with the modules and im sure it can hold up a double pedal... ranges between umm 3k to 5k i think...

or u could try the td3 module.. last time i went sl was around 2k+ or below... yup...

tama IC is a great pedal no doubt... built like a tank but the paint does chip off easily tho but nonetheless its great. the only problem why i sold it off was that the pedals have the words engraved on to of the pedals.... playing barefooted at home can be abit painful when u use the sliding technique to do double strokes and whatnots...

thus far, i've owned a peace velocity (great buy imho with the price and performance), Tama IC Rolling, bought during sale at 330, and now im contented with a yammie flying Dragon chain drive... just nice but the price tag of 600+ is abit high tho...

i'd recommend u buying an acoustic drumset... a new one with great hardware will set u back around 600 thereabouts... yup.

Hey, thanks alot guys for your reply, especially desperate angel.

I went to the Yamaha shop in plaza sing ytd and saw the elec sets they had there. Quite interested in the DTXplorer. My budget not so big la, around maybe 2k and below ? =x I dont think i'll be able to afford really good and big ass ones. I just kinda need a decent one but able to fit a double pedal. :???:

As for desperate angel, you have great advise there on my cobras. Maybe i should get a cheap pedal to start out first. But i love double bassing, so i feel more inclined on getting a better and more expensive pedal rather than any other parts of the drums. Any cheaper recommendations ? Heard the pearl eliminators were quite okay.

I havent ask my dad for it yet, probably in November, after my Os. The probability of getting one will be higher then. LOL. Just, preparing and getting ready for the set I want.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome. :mrgreen:

E-drum it's either Yamaha or Roland -- Yamaha is more user-friendly.. Sound-wise about the same.. The pads -- Roland has a better feel..
Regarding pedals -- I guess one have to try to find out whether it's right for you..
Double pedal is all about practice~!

There is this set selling at Ranking Sports, Medeli I tink. It's mylar and foam pads I tink, the higher range of Medelli drums has advanced features like choke and edge rim triggering and can be bought for below 1k I tink. However do not think it's comparable to drums by Roland.
There is this set by Alesis called the DM5 which supports single triggering also, but it can be converted to rim edge by using 2 inputs I tink. Alesis dm5 can be bought from luther music if I am not wrong for slightly above 1 k. Did read good reviews online about it.
If you have a fast computer with 2 gbs of ram or more or am into midi drum recording can consider this kit by Alesis too. Using the Trigger I/O to trigger sounds from the software drum module (BFD lite) will require a more semi pro sound card such at M-Audio audiophile 192 ($200 bucks I tink) but the sound of the samples are excellent! IMO this would be the best for the budget and most versatile since it can be used for future drum recording projects. Upgrade to other software drum modules (BFD 2 , Superior Drummer 2) and you get a variety of kits and sounds for a low end price. Can check out youtube for people using soft samplers for drums, the sound is amazing!
You can also check out Pintech drums if your budget allows (above 2 k) from EZImusic. I myself using Pintech cymbals with my current Roland Kit. It's pretty good, considering it's attractive price.

The Medelli Drums at Ranking Sports - http://www.medeli.com.hk/products/dd/index.html
Alesis DM5 pro kit from Luther - http://www.alesis.com/dm5prokit
Alesis USB PRO drums - http://www.alesis.com/usbprodrumkit
Pintech Drums from EZIMUSIC - http://www.ezimusic.com/Electronic Drums Pintech/pintech.htm

The DTXplorer is a starting point. You don't even need a separate pedal for double kicks. Since it's electronic, you just change the sample for the hi-hat pedal. The downside is that even if you set an open hi-hat sample for the pedal depressed, when you do 16th notes you won't always get it to sound and it'll sound quite glitchy.

Expansion isn't a problem as the cymbals are stereo. You can slot it another for the ride and maybe a floor tom. But compared to the higher-end sets, the DTXplorer really feels cheap and plays cheap. Like I mentioned, not that bad for starters.

My advise to you for the double pedal is actually a common sense. If you are very sure of what you will be doing in the future, buying expensive equipment at the beginning is actually a wise investment, cause you don't have to spend extra money to upgrade your equipment when you think it is necessary to do so.

Otherwise, it will be a waste to spend the money on high end equipment only to realize that you are just playing for fun.

Anyway, according to your budget, i think 2k should be enough to buy DTXplorer set, plus single pedal, stool, and speaker. DTXpress 4 and DTXplorer use the same kick pad. Since the space of kick pad for DTXpress 4 is enough for a double pedal (see the picture), of course DTXplorer's kick pad is big enough for a double pedal too.

Yeah, wait until you finish your O level, then will be around the end of the year, which is the year end sales period of Yamaha.

You want guitar hero or rock band electronic drumset, LOL, jkjk, yea most people here have already answered your question

Before you buy your drum, make sure you have the time to practise. Don't buy and after that just put there in the corner, not only your parent will sad because of their money wasted, your drum will feel sad too as you ignore it. Haha.

Hey, thanks again guys for the help. I'm now considering Alesis DM5 or yamaha. It all depends on the price then. I'm serious in drums, and i think i'm getting drum lessons at the Music Lab right after my Os. Heard Alvin was good, from this forum. Maybe i can get help and advise from a drum teacher before getting a kit. Hope my dad allows, cause he's not very supportive in me playing drums, i don't know why. Sigh. :(

Hope this works out. STOKED. :-D

Hi all

I'm also deciding between a Yamaha DTXpress IV Special and a Roland TD9S. I'm currently in the US and the Yamaha goes for US$1500 (around S$2200) and the Roland sells for US$1800 (around S$2600).

Looking at the specs, the Roland appears to offer more options for upgrade (more triggers), better resolution and recording options (higher capacity, USB plug-in). The Yamaha is cheaper and has a separate hi-hat. The Roland has a mesh 2-zone snare pad while the Yamaha has a rubber 3-zone snare pad.

Would appreciate your advice on which gear to get and how prices in the US compare with those in Singapore. If cheaper in Singapore, will probably get the set when return to Singapore.

Thanks much.

Back