Headphones. Your opinion is valued.

shinobi

my rig is currently a shuttle 3.0 driving a hartke 210TP.

the hartke cab was extremely useful in the past; it was light and powerful enough to lug around and blast at the ghetto gigs that i used to play.

now the drummer of my main band, who used to get all the lobangs for these ghetto gigs, has left for spain. the band was on hiatus for a couple of months but now it seems like it will be disbanded indefinitely.

my shit aside, there is no longer such a need and i have been thinking of switching to headphones for monitoring. i figured that by selling my cab i could get a really decent pair, that can be used for other things apart from bass as well.

I have no experience with using headphones to monitor a bass amp whatsoever. any opinions are appreciated

At gigs? In-ears might be a better option. If you see this as a long-term solution you might want to look at getting a custom set

nah, not at gigs. just for home practice. at gigs i will probably just DI from the shuttle, or just use whatever the venue may be providing.

thinking of offloading the cab because i don't see myself in a situation where i'd be bringing the entire rig down.

IEMs are quite pro but i'll probably not be playing at gigs that are so well-equipped to warrant using them...

I've found the Sennheiser HD280s to be pretty good value for money (and accurate) when it comes to monitoring... you can try those. Closed-back, very tight seal so you don't bother other people. Good for recording situations to minimise bleed as well.

In an ideal situation you'd have two sets of cans — one accurate set for mixing and another for general listening purposes.

Last edited:
imho. i got this sony mdr-700DJ monitoring headphones great for basses and last me for 5 years already. great for bass without crackling with distortion etc..etc..

another idea is also to get a pair of nice studio quality 2.0 speakers that u could use with a 4-way mixer, DAW or audio interface and is also great to listen to music as well ;p play-along with bass, simple recording, etc... they are expensive tho. but great all rounder.

i got my eye on the audio technica ath-m40fs. it looks good on paper. it's very important that the headphones have a flat frequency response because i want to cut out as many variables in the tone as possible. most importantly i think it is within the price range that i will be willing to drop for a pair of cans.

i thought of getting a mixer oso, but probably not at the moment lah. my intended setup would be; laptop's audio out into the bass amp's aux in, and then the headphones into the amp.

if it gets any more complicated than that, maybe if i want to show the world clips of my awesome chops or do reviews a-la grygrx, i will use a mixer instead.

Last edited:
You can try a ATH-M50.
I use a pair for mixing. It's decent. I tweak my bass pod with it as well. Get's pretty boomy when i crank the bass up. But I don't think to the extent of clipping.

ATH SQ is pretty decent, but the build quality left something to be desired when I had my M30s. Good if you're on a budget though

i was looking at the SQ as well. you have to admit that it looks quite cool but also seems pretty decent in terms of performance.

i haven't been out shopping yet, any idea how much i'm looking at for a pair of M50's?

Last edited:
Back