HDB Complaints?

I was thinking - Should DXS really be able to inspire people to drums at Jurong West, since we will be having the Drum-Battle Performance on the 23rd Feb 2008 at Jurong Green CC ... I hope the repercussion is there exists a drummer or 2 in every Block there - Hahahahaha - - - - then --- Never Ending Complain maybe... Paper writes " Welcome To Jurong - The Estate WIth The Most Complain Received For Drumming - Whahahahaha !

wish i never shifted out of jurong T~T

don't know, but generally speaking...the below might be a useful guide...

MISCELLANEOUS OFFENCES ACT (PUBLIC ORDER AND NUISANCE ACT) (CHAPT 184)

Excessive noise
14. —(1) Any person who makes any noise by any instrument or other means in such a manner as to cause or be likely to cause annoyance or inconvenience to the occupier of any premises in the vicinity or to any person lawfully using any public road or in any public place shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.
[10/89]​

(2) Any police officer, on any complaint that any person in any premises or in any public place is making such noise as to cause annoyance or inconvenience to the complainant, may enter upon the premises or proceed to the public place and, after warning the person reasonably suspected of making the noise, stop the making of such noise whether by the removal of any instrument or object or in some other appropriate manner.

don't know, but generally speaking...the below might be a useful guide...

Excessive noise
14. —(1) Any person who makes any noise by any instrument or other means in such a manner as to cause or be likely to cause annoyance or inconvenience to the occupier of any premises in the vicinity or to any person lawfully using any public road or in any public place shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.
[10/89]​

The thing here is that they have to prove without reasonable doubt that you are causing, or are likely to cause annoyance and inconvenience to the people in the vicinity if its a public area, or to the occupier of the premises, which can be interpreted as your own home. I'm not too sure if occupier of premise explicitly includes your neighbours, or if it can be argued that your home constitutes a "public" place, seeing how our homes belong to HDB.

Anyway if you get taken to court on a civil suit because of drumming, it'll be up to the judge to interpret the law as he deems fit... so its really a 50-50 thing here.

Last edited:
skali the police officer himself is a drummer. haha. he enter the premises to be a member and watch the performance

No the police have no right to enter your house, or to look at your drumset, much less touch it. Do not allow them access to your house unless they have a warrant to do so, which they will be unable to get.

You are allowed to play up to 10 or 10.30pm, from 10am onwards. It's the same regulations as construction work.

Your neighbour has no right to complain, as long as you can prove that you have taken sufficient measures to prevent it from being a nuisance to him. You'll only be in trouble if you play at ungodly hours, or your neighbour can prove that you're playing drums with the sole intention of creating nuisance to him. Oh, and there must be more than one complainant.

The most that he can do is to sue you in a civil court, but then again it's not very common because of the legal hassle and costs involved.

If the sound created is deemed as an annoyance (based on several households complaints and observations), the police do have the powers to give warning, and even break into the house and seize the instruments or objects. it's in section 14 Cap 184 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act.

turn down the volume or use some headphones. you still get to play, and they still get their rest. win-win situation.

Last edited:
Aite guys...guess wad, I was drumming juz now (acoustic drums) and my neighbour called me and said that the Town Council called her hse to stop drumming....so she ask me to stop drumming....the thing is that, i was drumming at 2pm...not 3am....

I cant basically sound proof my room as it is ex...

What should i do??...my mom said to let them complaint...juz drum....(mom rocker)....

look at it this way dudes... if your neighbours all have infants or kids trying to sleep or study and there's a big racket going on ... surely its hard for all rite?

I would say do on to others what you wsh others would do upon you ..although in HDB sometimes a lot of uncivic minded people, for one reason or another (be they educated or not) seem to forget what living with neighbours isall about.

Excessive noise
[10/89]​

(2) Any police officer, on any complaint that any person in any premises or in any public place is making such noise as to cause annoyance or inconvenience to the complainant, may enter upon the premises or proceed to the public place and, after warning the person reasonably suspected of making the noise, stop the making of such noise whether by the removal of any instrument or object or in some other appropriate manner.
Hm.mmm – Great info here.

(1) To cause annoyance/inconvenience to occupier of any Premises within a vicinity or person (it says using any Public Roads or In Public Place) – I think they are referring to – Basking without licenses or holding an Event out in the open without a Licence here….

(2) HDB & especially your own Home are not considered – “A Public Place.” – A public place means anyone can have access to.

Based on above – If it justify that – Then Big Problem. All the below can be confiscated by in our own home by Officers.

Hi-Fi System – can be confiscated by Police Office
Majong & Table can be confiscated
Drums, Guitar, Amps Speakers – all can be confiscated by Police Officer
Karaoke & Mics can be confiscated.
Dogs & Birds can be confiscated (Barking or Singing too loud)
Karaoke Singer, Painists, Guitarists Saxaphonists – anythcan be Fine playing instruments at their own home and all their Instruments confiscated.

Now – anything can be confiscated, even a whistling kettle in your own home (If above stands true) – because it says “as long as it - cause annoyance or inconvenience to the occupier of any premises in the vicinity” so – your neighbour just next to your home can hear mah …. As long as it deem to cause him “annoyance or inconvenience” which how are you going to define that ? it’s subjective and it’s up to any person. If I don’t like you (I say any little noise you make is annoying and causing inconveniences to me – that’s it you had it”…..cannot be like that one.

How often does police start coming to a HDB home and confiscating instruments – I don’t think so. Then many also knows that “If a Police Officer wants to enter your home without a Warrant – you can stop them from coming in – If they cant come in – How to confiscate your Instruments?”.

But if above applies to HDB Flats – Then any Police Officer can simply comes in to any home – making even a little noise – as long as it is deem to be causing “annoyance or inconvenience to a very very sensitive person or neighbour” isn’t it

Or - - - Maybe Law is made in such a way – one can bend here and there…

Last edited:
True True...

I gt an idea...I will start playing my drums at a later time...lets say ard 3 and end at 5...if they still complaint, I ask for negotiation....ask them what time then I can play...can anot ah???

If the sound created is deemed as an annoyance (based on several households complaints and observations), the police do have the powers to give warning, and even break into the house and seize the instruments or objects. it's in section 14 Cap 184 of the Miscellaneous Offences Act.

turn down the volume or use some headphones. you still get to play, and they still get their rest. win-win situation.

Yup this is spot on... which is why complain cases vary from household to household!

I think a very good example would be my case. My immediate neighbours (next to me and opposite my apartment) have no beef with me practicing, mainly because I only practice for 30mins to 1 hour max each day in the afternoon (in the store room lar damn humid and hot even with fan). However, my neighbour upstairs has complained more than twenty times, and because my immediate neighbours are ok with me, Town Council, police and RC have no problems with my playing.

Singapore's judiciary system is in a way such that it is up to the person executing the law to interpret the law... which means there're tons of gray areas around. Best solution?

COMPROMISE AND NEGOTIATION.

Don't be a bastard to your neighbours and your neighbours will not bastard you back (with the exception of maybe one or two...)

I've been playing drums at a HDB at bukit batok and since day one nobody complained.

pretty much for me no cash to sound proof the room,
there are only 2 things i can tweak...
the kit and the player.

this is wad i did to my kit..

i use the remo pinstripes.
they are a dual ply skin with a layer of oil inbetween.
its abit damped compared to a single ply clear skin.

i use remo dampening rings on all drums.

i stuff the bass drum with a big pillow and the whole batter side is touching said pillow. the pillow pretty much absorbs every kick.

i use promark hot rods to practice.

i didnt even do anything to my cymbals.. no dampening pads or anything..

on the player side.. this are the things i took note of..

i made it a point to only practice during socially accepted times.
late morning... evenings... nothing beyond 10pm.
anything after 10pm its practice pad + 5As.

i m NOT a heavy hitter...
my skins last for years... my sticks last for months..
pardon for asking but i dont understand how ppl can shed so much wood at studios...
its a practice studio.. not an open air gig...
and if ur hitting at volume level 10.. how do u do accents? volume level 15?
ur skins might break/ deform.. ur sticks might chip... ur cymbals might crack..

on a scale of 1 to 10...
my normal strokes are somewhere around 6...
ghost notes at 3~4
accent notes at 8~9

pretty much at home im just using the kit to familiarise the song and to work out the stickings and deciding which cymbals to use.
its at the studios or at sessions then i play abit louder with my 5As.

social reject:I've been playing drums at a HDB at bukit batok and since day one nobody complained.

maybe people in bt batok very nice?hehe.btw i also live there may i know which block do u live in?

i think, the main idea here to take note, fussy neighbours or not, is to play at the correct timing, only that much did me good.

WOW i also lived at bukit batok, me at block 338. opposite gombak mrt.

I've been playing for 3weeks now. No complain. Expectin a complain very soon :D

Btw, beginner drummer here !

Back