Guitar to Bass

the instruments are unique, the feel is also unique.

i have friends who are equally versatile in both, and they play very well in both.

It's a good idea if you want to!

if you are talking about technical skills, I think the only downside is getting used to the feels of the strings etc.
upside, you'll be more familiar with playing guitars and their tunings, and (assuming you don't just strum on guitars) your fretting hand should have a certain level of dexterity already.

as always, it's a good idea if you want to.

depends on whether you post this in People - Guitar or People - Bass.

bass playing is so different from guitar playing to the extent that both instruments can be considered completely different. of course music theory overlaps, because music theory is universal. A is still 440Hz no matter what kind of music you play.

there doesn't seem to be enough (good) bassists so you would be in demand, if that matters.

It's never a bad idea, trying the different instruments. Also when you're playing the instrument of your choice, say a bass in this case, try not to think of it as a bass guitar...

An example is like Flea, who thinks& expresses the bass as a horn instrument, in his case a trumpet as he was an accomplished trumpet player.

When you do that, you go beyond the instrument you're playing.

If you have the time to practice, go ahead and switch. There's no harm learning another instrument.

Personally, I've learned a lot of music theory (arpeggios, inversions, etc) when I played the bass guitar.

All the best.

Hi, I feel that it will not be easy to transit from guitar to bass. In fact, I think it is darn hard. Yea, all those theory is the same, but how to apply them to your playing is different. If you have been a guitarist for a while, it is not easy for you to play the bass, while your head is still thinking of how to solo like a guitarist, you get what I mean?

It appears to me that there are so many more things you can do to sound impressive on a guitar, but much lesser things to do to sound good on the bass, hence giving me the impression that it is not easy to be a bassist. I am not suggesting that the bass is less versatile, but I am saying that given the nature of the bass and the role of the bassist, it really takes alot of genius and talent to be a good bassist.

Hi, I feel that it will not be easy to transit from guitar to bass. In fact, I think it is darn hard. Yea, all those theory is the same, but how to apply them to your playing is different. If you have been a guitarist for a while, it is not easy for you to play the bass, while your head is still thinking of how to solo like a guitarist, you get what I mean?

It appears to me that there are so many more things you can do to sound impressive on a guitar, but much lesser things to do to sound good on the bass, hence giving me the impression that it is not easy to be a bassist. I am not suggesting that the bass is less versatile, but I am saying that given the nature of the bass and the role of the bassist, it really takes alot of genius and talent to be a good bassist.

This is so true, bass needs to know what everyone is doing as it is the bass job to harmonize all the sound coming from each and every member of the band then try and figure out the best notes, fills, groove that will fit on all occasions. so yeah it can be a bit hard. and if you can still solo on top of all that then that is the real cool stuff begins :p

but somtimes, i mean you no need to think so much about how to harmonize and what you should play as a bassist, etc... i mean don't over-analyze it, just play by feeling it most of the time it works....

i mean yup, you'll need to know to a certain extent what you should play and when, but i mean it should come naturally from your feeling rather than fussing to yourself about hmm should i play like this or like that etc... :)

Back