Guitar problem?

ThisIsTheEnd

Ok here's the problem. I bring my guitar to jamming studios but as soon as i turn on the amp, every metal surface such as the mic i touch would give me a little shock. Doorknobs too. I have also experienced this in different studios. Does this mean my guitar is the problem or are there other causes?

It means you are becoming the Shocker.

Shocker-pointing.jpg

Lol on a serious note, yours seem to be a more serious case.
I only ever experienced shock when I touched the guitar strings at one jamming studio before.

ground your guitar properly. you might die from electrocution if you happen to use an ungrounded amp.

May i ask how do you ground your guitar? Other than connecting a wire from your guitar to the ground? LOL!

Its probably not your fault, get the jamming studio to ground the amp.

hmm could someone confirm whether its the amp at the studio or my guitar's problem. My amp at home doesn't have this problem. Does this mean the amps at the studio are not grounded? My other guitarist and the bassist do not have this problem

You can see if their amps are grounded by looking at the plugs.
2 pronged plugs = definitely not grounded.
3 pronged plug = grounded if the earth is connected to the chassis of the amp.

You can install a high voltage cap in place of those inside your guitar and do star grounding, this will prevent any shocks and injury/death.

May i ask how do you ground your guitar? Other than connecting a wire from your guitar to the ground? LOL!

Its probably not your fault, get the jamming studio to ground the amp.

Proper grounding means that there is an electrical path to ground, it usually goes from all metal hardware from your guitar, through the shielding mesh in the guitar cord to the amp's own ground, which is then grounded to the earth of the socket.

If the earth connection from amp - socket is not there, then you are the next best ground, thats why when touching anything metal you get a shock.

Beez or grey will be a good choice on this one.
Tell them what you want and they'll get it done, and also mention the cap change to a higher voltage one, the stock one is probably below 25v.

Latest posts

Back