guitar dilemna

eugen3

hey guys, i am confused on which guitar to get. should i buy a epiphone sg, squier strat, MIM fender strat 60th anniversary?

This question is like: Should I get Champagne, beer or wine?

Depends on your tastes, so the answer is:

The one which suits your playing, feels good to you and sounds good to you.

but if u have no idea what type of wine = what? Then we can help describe the tastes to you.

Ultimately, its your choice though. And you will have to live with it.

Or sell it off.

as in. im asking this coz im worried how long i can keep it for before gas-ing for an upgrade. and whats the quality like for each of them, the +/- points of each guitar to aid my decision in which to get.

Dude, your worries are premature.

Concentrate on getting a good guitar first.

I'm not going to list out pros and cons for you without knowing what YOU want.

If you can skip the Squier for a 60th anniv, go for the 60th anniv.

Otherwise, I agree with ShredCow.

eugen3 said:
as in. im asking this coz im worried how long i can keep it for before gas-ing for an upgrade. and whats the quality like for each of them, the +/- points of each guitar to aid my decision in which to get.

Very, very, very generally speaking -- if you are thinking of a strat and can afford the Mexican, then go for the MExican over the Squier. But if you want something with humbuckers, then go for the Epi SG. It'd still be best to go on-site and actually play them for a bit, unless you already know the kind of sound and feel that you are looking for (which does help narrow the options a bit). The +/- points really depend on the style of playing. A metal player might like a fat humbuckery sound, but the same sound would just be muddy and undefined to a funk player, who'd want something with clarity and definition (or what the metal guy would call "thin").

Its also a good idea to buy a guitar that's easy to offload on the 2nd hand mkt, in the event that you wanna upgrade. Not too many potential buyers for squiers there. IMO an Epi SG would be the easiest to sell and doesnt lose too much value.

cool. thanks that was the kinda response i was looking for. how bout the mexican strat. if i get it would it be advisable to upgrade it? or should i keep it stock as its a collector's edition?

The mex strats are pretty decent to me. I think as long as a guitar plays well, then there's no need for an upgrade.. And in any case, you might find yourself wandering into anotehr minefield if you dunno what kind of sound you're aiming for -- the blues/vintage people might want to upgrade their pups to Fralins, but these might not appeal to rockers who want their active EMGs. So again, it really depends on the sound and feel that you're aiming for... You'll save a lot of money and time if you go out shopping knowing what you want already.

Anyway the Mex Strat is not really a "collectors edition" so don't worry about tweaking it.. i think the collector's era is pretty much over already unless these are really rare, one-off items. Its like, I got a batch of 10 yr old poly-bagged comics that are still worth nothing today... and i feel very sore abt it,..

Back