Guardian by Cacolo

osirisFIVE

Hey guys, just a heads up that my new track, Guardian is up!

I apologise for the mix not being up to par, but hey, I'm learning.

Enjoy, and hope to see some constructive criticism here on Soft. :D

637182962-1.jpg

Guardian by Cacolo

Will you please mix the song properly 1st??? Don't spoil a possible good potential song.. the current mix is really painful to the ears.. really messy..
I can hear how it will sound like if it's mix properly..
If you are looking for feedback, at least blend the volumes a fair bit 1st, so that it doesn't hurt the ears...

Hey Calvin.

Since I'm new to the mixing scene, I was wondering whether you could give me some specific feedback on the mix as it currently sounds alright to me.

It would definitely help in my growth in the art of music production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good song. Definitely can aim for radio play.

There are some parts where the vocal is a bit drown by the busy music going on behind. Maybe can spread the drums/guitar a bit so that it is not fighting the vocals.

I have an idea, make the song a duet. It is like the boy and girl trying to make a better future together. The girl's voice must be cuter than the guy la.

Wow, the soft admin himself!

Haha, thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I definitely agree about the vocals. I'm trying to work on my vocal mix to get it to stand out more. I think I'm getting better from my other songs.

About the duet, I was really really thinking about that actually. But, lack of volunteers haha. I'm going to be exploring that idea on my next song. Thanks so much for the constructive criticism! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Calvin.

Since I'm new to the mixing scene, I was wondering whether you could give me some specific feedback on the mix as it currently sounds alright to me.

It would definitely help in my growth in the art of music production.

Kinda everything is trying to be loud, making it kinda painful to the ears..
You have good melodies, but everything is drowning each other..
Simple basic rules,
Vocals louder, pan near center
Drums:
Kick center pan, push volume softer than kick
Snare near center pan, push volume softer than kick
HiHats pan 30 degrees right, volume softer than snare
Toms all spread pan left, volume softer than hihat
Rhythm instruments, one pan 40 degrees left, one pan 40 degrees right, around same volume as snare or hihat
Melody instruments, panning up to you, around same loudness as kick, when solo, same volume as kick, when solo, center panning like vocals.
This is just basic reference..

Kinda everything is trying to be loud, making it kinda painful to the ears..
You have good melodies, but everything is drowning each other..
Simple basic rules,
Vocals louder, pan near center
Drums:
Kick center pan, push volume softer than kick
Snare near center pan, push volume softer than kick
HiHats pan 30 degrees right, volume softer than snare
Toms all spread pan left, volume softer than hihat
Rhythm instruments, one pan 40 degrees left, one pan 40 degrees right, around same volume as snare or hihat
Melody instruments, panning up to you, around same loudness as kick, when solo, same volume as kick, when solo, center panning like vocals.
This is just basic reference..

Hm, sounds like you're exceptionally fixated on the drums here.

Anyway, I didn't really mess with the mixing of the drums for this song. I kind of just took a studio sampled virtual drum and plotted in the MIDI notes. Maybe I'll bring the volume down next time.

As for the melody and rhythm parts, it's a little bit difficult due to the number of tracks. At the bridge area I had around 64 instruments playing at the same time, so I think you could cut me some slack. I'll pay more attention to detail the next time around.

Here's the link to my site:
http://cacolo.bandcamp.com

Do take a listen and see what you think about the other tracks.

The best way to learn is to reference with mixes from famous acts you like..
I was just giving a standard method most people follow, but in every mix, there are different styles.. main ideal is to get to the point when your mix expresses a feeling, a mood.. just like music itself.. good sound mixing is an artform..

64 music instruments is kinda too much.. less is more.. it's not about adding too much to hype things up, but rather, tuning individual elements of the music to blend really well..
The biggest way to improve is to stick to one single track, and keep working on it until you perfect it as best as you can.. that way, you can learn new skills/innovations from the experience..
Best of luck to your music pursuit :)

Back