Grado Headphones

juube

Hey all.. I'm new here :).. Does anyone know if Singapore sells grado headphones... looking for one for mixing and studio/live stuff (For poly course)

Hmms, u sure you want grados?

Grados have a nice sound, but are all open, may cause problem if you are using them to track as they may leak your click track into the mic. For live use may also be an issue as the lack of isolation may allow the house sound to leak in.

Do consider getting closed headphones instead.

What is open and closed headphones?.. Any recommendations for closed ones?

Dynamic headphones have two kinds. Open headphones are where the headphone driver is freely suspended, and both sides of the cone are exposed. Closed headphones are where the back of the headphones are sealed and only one side is exposed to your ears.

Open headphones tend to have better sound quality than closed headphones of the same price, but will not have any isolation. This means that external noise can enter and your music can escape.

I'll second the akg 271, but IIRC headphones are not reccommended for mixing. I think its been raised at many engineers forums.

i've had both and basic diff is the SR80 has a much tighter bass than the 60s. go test it out for yourself and see which one you prefer. also depends on the type of music you listen to.

In studio set up, I personally think that accuracy of a headphones matters more during mixing than recording, so an open-back suits me fine as long as it is accurate while I'm at the mixing stage. Over long periods, I find them more comfortable too (I love my Sennheiser EH 350).

But I agree that a close-back would be better for recording, live or studio.

A good pair of close-back cans that also sounds good for mixing, that is also of great value? Sony MDR-7506

Might wanna try and check out Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-650, but they are a little more expensive than the MDR.

Last edited:
Sonys are good for mixing, but dont forget to check back on real speakers/ other headphones too just in case.

I use dt150 and dt250 headphones by Beyer for mixing/checking signals. good stuff, would recomend. Grado's more of a easy-listening headphone, not for any serious mixing.

I'm not too sure of the price, can't really remember. You'd be looking 300 onwards if i'm not wrong. Go test it out at Jaben Network... they have one for demo.

I personally use the Grado earphones, which is a kind of open earphones, its been super, just that friends or people on the bus complains when you blast your music, cause its very audible to others due to it been an open earphones, but if you're the sort who dont bother about others, you should get it. it cost me about 180 or so.

Back