Going to Singapore soon

pianomankris

Hi guys (and gals)

OK - so i've been posting here for a little while now, so perhaps could get a little help back from some folks out there :)

I'm from the UK, and i'm coming to Singapore soon (October, for 10 days).

I'm a professional musician over here - I work as a pianist/guitarist (performer/session (i've done some guitar work on some albums/releases over here)), and also teach both instruments.

I'm looking for any advice from anyone in Singapore RE the music scene, as i'm hoping to find out as much about it as possible.

My ultimate intentions are to buy a place out there sometime soon, and possibly eventually stay there for longer than just 10 days!

If there are any other professional musicians/teachers out there who could help, or anyone who could give any advice on music in Singapore, that would be great.

My plan is also to arrange some form of a free masterclass/workshop event for guitarists whilst there, so help with potential venues would also be appreciated. Plus, if there is anything that you may think should be covered in such an event, then just let me know (I have some ideas at present, but it is always best to be dynamic in these situations, and provide as provision is needed). As well as technical info regarding guitar playing, I intend to give some advice on the music business/breaking into such a field.

Cheers

Kris

ooh cool bro..i was in Singapore for the last 14 years. but moved to the UK last december. Currently in Scotland..how bout you?

and im sorry but i cant really help out with the info you need. maybe you can PM soft? hes the boos of the forums..im sure he knoes a thing or two.

cheers

hey Kris. u have great intentions there, i must say.

on venues, what i can suggest is a place named *Scape Lab. its an indoor area smacked right in the middle of town. the place is usually used to hold gigs and workshops. there's a stage outside, where many gigs are held. the place is very accessible. u can get there by train and bus. the reason i mentioned this place is that SOFT has organised a guitar workshop not a long time ago.

well i cant say much about it. but u can always get info from the man himself, Mr SOFT(James) who (i think) organised the event.

Hey, Kris.

Say, were you by any chance inspired by Anthony Bourdain's enthusiasm about Singapore (or at least Singapore food) in his show 'No Reservations'?

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Anirudh - i'm in Scotland also :) West coast.

Come to Culzean Castle on the 24th September if you are nearby - I have a piano recital down there then (playing Liszt, Rachmaninoff etc, plus some of my own works).

I wasn't really inspired by anyone in particular to come to Singapore - it just seems a good place to find keen and interested musicians.

Plus - with such a large population in such a small area, it has the potential of being a creative hot-spot. I think trying to help the development of this would be worth the effort and the sacrifices!

Keep it coming, folks. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated, e.g if there was a workshop, would you like Vai-style playing to be covered, or things such as harmony on the guitar, rhythmn etc etc?

I have a good few ideas - but it is always nice to do something that people are wanting to see covered. So now is the opportunity!

Kris

oh sweet stuff. im on the east coast...in Aberdeen city as of now. recently drove up to Inverness and Balmoral castle. Beautiful places i must say.

all the best with your recital.

cheers

awesome! i'll join in if i'm not too busy. gotta check the schedule when we reach the second half of September. do update us

OK - so what could also be fun is just meeting up and having a jam with some people somewhere.

So - any singers out there? Male or female. Drummers also, and perhaps an acoustic bassist?

Are there any public places in Singapore where having a jam is allowed (e.g. in a park)? I don't know the legality of this in Singapore, so any info on this would be appreciated.

Let's get some repertoire together ;)

Even with the intent of playing a gig while i'm there! It could happen - i've done this a good few times with a gig - only one rehearsal, then up on stage.

Surely it would be possible to get an acoustic set together, play through it once, then go gig it in a bar (or two)?

OK - so if anyone fancies this, then what i'd need is a list of good songs (about 20; not necessarily acoustic songs - it is pretty easy to make acoustic arrangements of songs) that would go down well. I don't know the music scene in Singapore too well, so just send me a link (youtube or something) to good songs, and i'll work them out.

Cheers guys ;)

Now this COULD be fun!

PS this also usually makes the best repertoire for gigs - just asking the public what they would like to hear ;)

Last edited:
scotland eh?

there can be only one

connor1.jpg

Last edited:
Back