Gibson LP Vs PRS standard satin

xklusivly4u

What would you choose between Gibson LP standard and PRS standard satin 22 and why? They are in same price range. I prefer Gibson tone (absolutely huge with tube amps) but PRS has better playability. What are your thoughts?

i beg to differ. I think playability is subjective. I would say Gibsons generally have a better feel than PRS guitars. Get the gibson! PRS guitars dont have that mojo Gibsons somehow have.

i would take a gibson over a PRS any day.
The gibson sound is simply irreplaceable... and No i dont think u can get the Gibson lespaul tone from a PRS SC... thats a fantastic guitar too... but its a Prs single cut.. not a lespaul.

Playability is different from feel/mojo. Mojo, or feel in other words, is about how the guitar speaks to you when you are playing it. Playability is about how well the guitar physically plays. 2 different things. And in this case the standard 22 will have a definite edge in playability because it's a double cut guitar as opposed to a singlecut guitar like the les paul.

kalibre I sincerely hope you have played good examples of both guitars before. For tone I would still give it to the les paul but only if and only if you are looking for that exclusive les paul tone. Everything else - PRS.

Chan min: I'm referring specifically to the PRS sc 245 and not the PRS singlecut which is much more modern sounding. If anything, that particular PRS will sound more like a Les Paul than a Les Paul. There's one at Davis in a natural finish if you feel like verifying my words ;)

Last edited:
i beg to differ. I think playability is subjective. I would say Gibsons generally have a better feel than PRS guitars. Get the gibson! PRS guitars dont have that mojo Gibsons somehow have.

Sorry, I didn’t explain well. I am used to Ibanez guitars and Gibson scale is too short for me even 60 neck is not very comfortable. Anything after 15th fret is really hard to play in LP necks. PRS wide thin necks are fast and familiar at least for me. What is “mojo” by the way?

Hmm in that case you wouldn't like the sc245 either. It's 24.5" scale length which is even shorter than the historically correct 24.625" 1959 les paul length.

Scale length plays an important factor in the les paul tone. If you want a longer scale length neck and a double cut, the PRS to look for is the McCarty. Or else the PRS regular singlecut, but with a pickup swap to something more in the PAF vibe. Still won't be the Les Paul tone but it will come really close to it. Sound clips are all over the web just google if you're keen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPtwh3avos here's a clip of a PRS McCarty through a Marshall to illustrate how close/far it is from the Les Paul. The singlecut will sound the same, just relatively bigger,thicker and heavier.

u know what they say over and over again. if you want that les paul sound, nothing is gonna get u that unless u have a les paul. and i dont really think u can out les paul a les paul.

Thanks guys. I know that rule that only Gibson LP can deliver LP tone but I am willing to compromise if I can get quite close. I don’t mind single cut or double cut. But maple top and burst on LP is really appealing.

Midnight he's not a guitarist. Sigh.

http://www.jgguitars.com/frame2.html

Read the lespaulforum if you want to find out more. People are selling their VOS '59s because the jg bluesmaster outdoes them all in the les paul feel and tone. All woods used are historically accurate ie. old growth to the '59 burst and held together with real hide glue. If the Bluesmaster was in the shape of a les paul, there would be no difference between a Bluesmaster and the real 59' burst. A standard production PRS compared to it would be like comparing a toyota to a BMW. Totally different leagues.

Sorry OP for going offthread. But ppl in sg kinda live in the "gibson, fender and ibanez are the only guitar brands that exist" world =/ which is a situation I blame on the sg market.

Last edited:
almondx said:
Chan min: I'm referring specifically to the PRS sc 245 and not the PRS singlecut which is much more modern sounding. If anything, that particular PRS will sound more like a Les Paul than a Les Paul. There's one at Davis in a natural finish if you feel like verifying my words ;)

yup , i was refering to the 245 as well.. which is in the same scale length. Well... id doubt i could pass a blind test differentiating a recording of a SC245 , a gibby lp and an epiphone Lp. haha...

come to think of it... i bought my last Gibson Lp at around $2.6k
can u get a SC245 at that price?

Can you get a Gibby of PRS quality at that price? Btw, nice catch on that LP. Just curious was it during SL's half price sale?

well I think i see your point almondx but everyones entitled to their own opinion. i don't think us having an opinion warrants your constant downplaying of gibson. my 2 cents. Anyway, both are respectable brands and i constantly find myself torn between the two brands. PRS is good in its own way. So is Gibson. Sure not all Les Pauls have great quality but once you find one thats good it obliterates the competition imo. and as far as i can see, the folks over at the LPF love their R9s.

I think what I've mentioned are facts which can be cross referenced with any source at your own discretion to verify its integerity.

The guys at the LPF love their R9s enough to mod the crap out of them and send them for numerous conversions before they are happy with them. Hardly a Gibson anymore isn't it?
Those on the LPF who have gotten their BMs have said that the R9s cannot be compared to them. That's how it is about loving their R9s.

Sure, Gibson do make magical guitars. But for every magical guitar made, there are a few times more magical guitars made by other brands as well which would well be better than the Gibson.

People who purchase Gibsons nowaways thinking that it's the same company 50 years ago are disillusioning themselves. The company has changed hands numerous times.

Back to the OP: Have you considered custom small shop luthiers? I'm figuring your price range is around 3-4k which can get you a nice boutique. For LP style guitars you can check out Heatley Guitars, for PRS style you can check out Schroeder Guitars. Both should be able to get what you want. I have spoken to both Jason Schroeder and Scott Heatley personally and they are nice people.

Last edited:
well... when i bought the gibby , i was fully aware of their production QC status... i took me forever to find a decent gibby second hand.... Gibson QC is OK at best.
Thus i agree prs does rank alot higher in the "Build quality" department.

My point is that people buy the gibson lp... because it is a gibson Lp... for the average price i paid of ..$2.6k the gibson lp was the exact guitar i wanted.

for $2.6k ....i couldnt get a PRS SC ... or a JG bluesmaster.. or a ZEMATIS or a MAX...
You kinda say it like these guitars are in the same bracket :p

Even if you could get a JG at $2.6k... which u probably never will.
from what i read... it doesnt really nail the Gibson lespaul thing perfectly either.. its just in the "Ball Park" .......

Its just another really Really REALLY well made, mahogany bodied, Flame eastern maple topped guitar with similar specs to the holygrail 59 Gibson lespaul. Many other manufacturers make these...

If you are looking for high quality single cut thats NOT Gibson ... i think a smarter move will be to buy a Tokai and drop in the most hyped up expensive pickups and RS kit. You could buy at least 2 of those with the price of a Johan Gustavsson.

The sc245 is nice! but its no gibson lespaul~ I know... cus i was looking for a PRS single cut... and i realised it wont replace a gibson. Its a great guitar.. but theres a reason why people compare all 24.5 inch scale single cuts with the gibson lp. Its the industry standard.

ive just commissioned Jason for a "Modern Eagle Single cut" styled schroeder.
Id be pretty disappointed if it sounded exactly like a lespaul. i would have spent less on a gibby.

If you are looking for high quality single cut thats NOT Gibson ... i think a smarter move will be to buy a Tokai and drop in the most hyped up expensive pickups and RS kit. You could buy at least 2 of those with the price of a Johan Gustavsson.

The sc245 is nice! but its no gibson lespaul~ I know... cus i was looking for a PRS single cut... and i realised it wont replace a gibson. Its a great guitar.. but theres a reason why people compare all 24.5 inch scale single cuts with the gibson lp. Its the industry standard.

ive just commissioned Jason for a "Modern Eagle Single cut" styled schroeder.
Id be pretty disappointed if it sounded exactly like a lespaul. i would have spent less on a gibby.

You can probably buy a PRS sight unseen, but Gibsons, probably not. But the Gibson does have the mojo. :mrgreen:

Actually, how much of a LP's (or LP shape) tone comes from the single cut? Wouldn't a double-cut body shape give you much better access to the higher frets? Yeah I know if you got fat fingers and 24.5 scale length, it doesn't really matter, but just asking.

Back