G&L basses

Tried the Korean ones at yamaha ... sweet warm tone ... but when you start slapping the strings will start to get stuck to the magnetic exposed pole pickups ... maybe it's just my technique ...

i thought the controls are innovative .. with the pickup switching thingy and the passive EQ switches.... another Leo Fender innovation ..

it's a good buy and workable bass for the semi-professional bassist even pro bassist to stand by .. G&L quality guaranteed in all situations...

My G&L is quite a good worker. Don't get the "stuck to pickups" thingey. Sounds good for most stuff you play on it, tweak the knobs to get the right sound for the right song.

No complaints, you should give it a try of course, to each his own.

wookie said:
My G&L is quite a good worker. Don't get the "stuck to pickups" thingey. Sounds good for most stuff you play on it, tweak the knobs to get the right sound for the right song.

No complaints, you should give it a try of course, to each his own.

Of course dude .. yous is the 5500 series .. it's US-made right? ...

All GnLs are made in the USA.
Except for the GnL Tribute series made in Korea.
I personally have a GnL ASAT Bass.

so where to go to try G&L? and ard how much is it? and oso..in ur opinion..wad bass do u tink, of the same price range or higher, is comparable to the G&L? Thx

Colarndo said:
All GnLs are made in the USA.
Except for the GnL Tribute series made in Korea.
I personally have a GnL ASAT Bass.

AHH!!! So mine is a gwailo bass lah?

Hehe.. :p

To cut the story short:
Leo Fender started Fender company which was sold to CBS(as he was very ill), he regained health, went on to join MusicMan to carry on making instruments. Finally he left MusicMan to start GnL. Brought his dual humbucker pickup technology over to place it on his GnL(Guitars By Leo)guitar. When he died, BBE took over the company.
GnL made a special series with his signature on their instruments, Fender sued them and they stopped producing it, only a few were sold worldwide.
Yamaha was the last local dealer almost a decade ago. No one brings in GnL anymore. Period.
Only way is through imports or online music websites. But you don't touch the bass till you paid for it.

Colarndo said:
To cut the story short:
Leo Fender started Fender company which was sold to CBS(as he was very ill), he regained health, went on to join MusicMan to carry on making instruments. Finally he left MusicMan to start GnL. Brought his dual humbucker pickup technology over to place it on his GnL(Guitars By Leo)guitar. When he died, BBE took over the company.
GnL made a special series with his signature on their instruments, Fender sued them and they stopped producing it, only a few were sold worldwide.
Yamaha was the last local dealer almost a decade ago. No one brings in GnL anymore. Period.
Only way is through imports or online music websites. But you don't touch the bass till you paid for it.

They started to bring them in again! .. i saw like a whole row of Tribute series like a few months back .. not sure whether they are still there or not ...

Hi, i think what you saw was the tribute series, not the US made G&Ls... a G&L to a tribute is sort of like Fender is to Squier.

DarkRed said:
Hi, i think what you saw was the tribute series, not the US made G&Ls... a G&L to a tribute is sort of like Fender is to Squier.

correction:

go to www.vintagebass.com/dudepit forums ( i think)

dig up the G&L archives and firstly, you'd find that G&L is actually GEORGE AND LEO, with leo being leo fender and george fullerton. Leo was the man who gave his name to fender guitars and george was one of his key factory right hand man when leo fender began operations at his fender workshop in santa fe .

2ndly, there is an article with George, Leo's factory supervisor and one of leo's right hand man. the primary difference, according to the article, between the korean made G&Ls and the American made G&Ls, are the

body wood types[tribute series tend to feature more basswood models esp basses],

that they are machine made vs hand made/traditional routing techniques instead of CnC modern techniques and for the fact that they feature much

LESS options vis a vis the american made G&L e.g silver metallic flake finish , gun oil tint necks, various neck sizes and does not have the customability of G&L models.

the article can be read here : http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/gldp/messages/SAVE/GFQA.php3 [GREAT stuff to read]

it's nice to note that approximately 80% of G&L's regular orders are produced only upon ordering by the customer and according to the customer's specification. the remainding are mostly sold as "default"/stock configuration to large music retailers, e.g musician's central etc etc whom have G&L models you can buy off the shelves.

@exin , wow yamaha actually brought in G&L tribby's ? i asked them and was damned serious about buying one from them before i ordered from bass northwest. they told me a new shipment was coming sometime in june. must pay yamaha a visit soon. the last time i went, there was a measly phathetic one tribby basswood L-2000

Colarndo said:
Tribute Website: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/
Original Website: http://www.glguitars.com/

On the headstock it says GnL:Guitars By Leo
hmm.. ?

im not too sure about that. what i do know , is that G&L has changed the headstock decal for the tribute series [bass] now its just a G&L L-2000 tribute series decal ( the tribute words are in white vis a vis the old style of tribute lettering prior to the L-2000 and in the same font of the L-2000)

Back