Fruityloops and Reason were used to create tracks for Brena

JabSTAR

Anybody here using either the 2 software sequencers got something to share? My nick is JT and I'm from JabSTAR(.com) Music Publishings I've been using the 2 since 1999 to create tracks for Brena (ex-mirai) and also an american band based in Florida. To me, the sequencer is in-dispensible for I take it along with my iBook even when travelling.

The sound equipments that we use

If this forum were to be of any interest to anyone out there, I'll be most glad to discuss the equipments and set-ups that were use for the creation of the various tracks as recorded in by the various artists.

In fact, the setups are so simple that anyone can start one without burning a serious hole in their pocket!

Sequencing is all and well for electronic based music, and if a part of a band is missing.

But for the 'live jam' kind of performance, I think the 'real deal' live band is always perfered. You can never come close to creating the same feel and distinct nature each musician can bring out from just a software.

A one man band, will still be a one man band, no matter how good his sequencing equipment is.

But it does simplify things a lot for plenty of applications. An open a lot of possibilities.

Are the software you described running on the apple?? Does it work on a Windows PC?? Most people have a PC. Is it like a freeware??

hi JabSTAR

please do tell me more about the equipment/software you used to create the tracks. do you have any sample of the music that we can listen to?

Yeah man jabstar. I've heard like so much about Reason and how its the NEXT big thing, But i totally havent had a WiFt of it yet.

Can you tell us more plz?

>mikemann
Nothing comes close to "live" music... No doubt about it. Unless played by equally skillful musician. Likewise the same applies to software sequencer. Btw, some tracks just can't be played "live" .

>soft
Our setup couldn't be simpler. I've got an PC P3-800 640MB Ram running 3 differently software seqencer namely, Fruityloops, Reason, Sonar and sometimes Project5. These are hook-up to a 8 Channel Beringer Mixer and a Casio WK-1800 Midi keyboard. ... u can check out some of the tracks at www.jabstar.com
Of course, we've enhance the tracks further with effects. Recordings are accomplished using CoolEdit Pro 2.0

>seekz
Indeed, Reason is one powerful software i love to tweaks, but it's not the only one. I've started out with Fruityloops back in 1999 and Reason only in 2002. They are quite similar in functions and yet quite a different beast in each their own way and the sound it produced. Most people I know are only familiar with Cakewalk's sonar the midi tracker as used by many studios etc.

ps> lately i also acquires an iMac and iBook and has been experimenting with its software like the garageband which is quite good too. Reason, Cubase VST also runs on Mac OSX. Performance are as good as on the PC.....

yeah sure. but so far i've only heard about how great a piece of software it is.

I've been using Cubase and i think its a Audio and Midi Sequencer

And i've heard that Reason is also a sequencer, but it doesnt record audio.
So what does it do? Midi sequencing only?

And what about those pictures of the Reason GUIs like so many virtual Racks after racks? so what are they? I've used Virtual instruments before, and so far thats what it seems to resemble like to me.

Oh yeah and all the virtual Patch cables, looks really cool too.
But i still dont know what it does... hehe..

Its amazing that a P3-800 is enuf for all that.. hehe

Cubase is certainly capable as an Audio and Midi Secquencer. Trouble is the midi sound re-production is quite dead unless you route it thru some VSTs or something. Even thru that, the sound quality are of acceptable level only. When Reason process the midi thru live sound fonts e.g. wav files (which obviously sound more "live". In this aspect, raw midi sound reproductions via sequencer like cubase, sonar loses out to the fruityloops and Reason. And between the latter two, Reason emerged as the top choice for me.

Sure, most people fail to understand the Reason enough to realise its prowess, we are all taught to "midi" the Cakewalk method and forgot all about the pre-PC era where sound engineers tweaked music with decks and racks on audio equipments. Reason are created to work like most sound engineers are taught.

The racks in Reason are sound production units which can be programmed via Midi enabled equipments such as the Casio Keyboard I use. Instead of the midi qualitied dead sound. I get the raw and live sounding from sound fonts

reason 3 coming soon

Reason is a dream rack mount that you can stack units up on til your heart's contented. Units include samplers, Analogue synths, drum sequencers, effects and a bunch of other stuff. No, it can't take audio, cept by sampling and using the samplers to play wav files, inputs are either midi or programming in the interface, and no it's no good for mastering.......... although that's about to change with release 3.0, you can check out the manufacturers website here http://www.propellerheads.se

I use a bog standard dell with creative soundcard, Yamaha CS1X, and Zoom MRS-1608cd for mastering, and adding guitar, voice and other 'live' instruments. Team 108 music is the distributor for Propellerheads in Singapore. They're website is http://www.team108.com/

I disagree that Reason can replace ALL midi insturments.

No doubt it can replace ROMPlers and drum machines. They all play back samples and the quality is largely dependent on the source.

BUT I doubt it can replace a good VA (eg Virus, Nord Lead, Ion/Micron). The Arturia Minimoog V sounds very good though but you can't use it directly in Reason.

And sometimes the "dead" sound is what you need for bass. To me, bass/kick drum sounds best unprocessed because the raw power shines thru the mix and holds the track together.

Secondly, I hesitate to support team108.

It is cheaper to order online using Vpost then thru team108.
Online costs
1) US $299 for v2.5 (additional if using wire transfer or paypal, not applicable if shop accept Singapore credit card) or ~$520
2) Free delivery to Vpost office in USA
3) Delivery of package to Singapore ~$20.
4) Total $540 ($567 with 5%GST)
5) even if one has to pay for a wire transfer, its about $40 and @$580 ($609 with GST), it is still a lot cheaper than team 108. (the bank is next to my office so parking and transport costs doesn't factor in here).
* delivered to doorstep

Team 108 wanted $675 ($708.75 with GST, yes they quoted prices w/o GST) for v2.5
Must make your way down to their office and incur transport +/- parking costs.
Despite Propellerheads saying on their website that they will lower the cost of v2.5, team 108 is not willingly to do so.

Intention of propellerheads
New lowered price of v2.5 + upgrade price to v3.0 = old price of v2.5

However team108;
No discount on v2.5 + upgrade price to v3.0 > old price of v2.5

They also tried to rip me off on my Powercore PCI card.
TC electronics promotion on Powercore card= card + FREE Virus software
(cost ~$1,800)

Team 108 price = Powercore PCI card + NO FREE virus software
(cost $2,500 = > $700 difference)

Therefore, the logical conclusion is not to support team 108.

One of the gripes i've got with reason is the step sequencers can only display 16 steps at a time before you have to flip to the next set of 16, whereas with fruity loops you can set the steps all the way up to 64.

Most of the realistic emulations come from romplers, and the analog modelling vsts. So instruments like bass, drums, sax and even nylon string guitars can be reproduced to a very realistic level. It's probably the only way you can get a full on orchestra to play along to a bunch of moogs.

I guess the strength of Reason is the integration - you get everything in one, almost everything. Isn't NI's Reaktor similar?

As for better sounding, I'll have to agree with lowjk that it all depends on where the sound comes from. Hardly anybody today uses those cheesy midi sounds that comes with soundcards anyway. Reaktor also has got some decent sounds. Reason definitely will not replace VA or Arturia for that matter. It also is far behind as for orchestral sound is concerned, although that is not Reaon's forte - so unfair of me to compare. It's new "orkester sound library" in version 3 sounds quite bad - the strings had that horrible "sucking effect".

As for integration, most softwares/ VSTi's etc integrate pretty seamlessly. In the end, it's about preference for the type of workspace. The workspace seems ideal for a sound engineer. But as an instrumentalist/ musician I don't quite fancy it. Same reason why Ableton's Live does not appeal to me.

The problem with reaktor is it's really cpu hungry, while reason offers quite a bit of modularity at a low cpu cost. On a 1G amd athlon i could insert up to 6 redrums simultaneously playing, but a single cpu hungry patch on reaktor would kill it.

veganbleu said:
, while reason offers quite a bit of modularity at a low cpu cost. .

That's exactly why Propellerheads refuse to host VSTi in Reason - so that they can guanrantee that Reason will run well even with a modest CPU.

REASON

Just to get a clearer definition to better sounding. One would imagine the sound playback as generated by a yamaha/casio midi keyboards as compared to the much superior sounding generated with midi keyboards supporting soundfonts e.g. the Yamaha Motif series.

Reason are similar in this aspect to the motif keyboard. Both generates sound thru superior soundfonts.

However good the software. Most tracks will somehow subject to further tweak via third party VSTs or effects the optimized it before mastering.

With regards to Reason not hosting of VSTs... I think it's never an issue for me cuz you can still tweak it independent of Reason using standalone VSTs /DSP modules..

Soundfont is only one of the many formats our there, actually quite an old format but still usable. Whichever format it is, they are recorded from wav files - the quality then depends on the original recorded wav. However because of the age, it doesn't allow much programming into it - ie crossfades, key switches etc. Also, I believe it is still only in 16bit.

Soundfonts are indeed wav files actually, and it;s the truth that it's only as good as the original recording.

sound fonts might not support programming into it. but i think it's quite possible if converted to wav format and whether it's saved in 16 bits or 32 bits. It sound are stiil only as good as the original recording only.

I am not a very technically inclined person, but i sure can hear the differences. Anyone here tracks by ears?

Back