from classical to electric

viper

Hi guys
I was a drummer before I decided to make a hop to guitar.I do know a few basic chords and strumming and decided to take on classical guitar lessons.I plan to take on electric guitar cause me & my friends are forming a band.
Anyone knows about how long or until what stage do I have to learn classical guitar so that I can take on electric guitar?

would love some advice

i learned classical guitar at first too. i didnt stay for too long though, after a few mths i quit, then i proceeded to electric guitar. i remembered learning finger plucking, playing on beat with the metronome, learned to read the music score a bit, and thats about it. i think it doesnt really matter when you are ready to step forward for the electric guitar, it's more to which instrument you are more comfortable with.

i started out with classical went up till grade 3 b4 i quit.. no time.. my teacher didn't touch much on theory only when it came to exams.. i still can read notes n play.. after a year or 2 i got my electric n wasn't playing much untill last year.. would wanna go back for classical lessons nx time..

you dont have to learn classical to pickup electric, or any other guitars. Same for the other guitars --> classical. Every type has their own distinctive style and even variants within each.

Classical guitar doesn't really help much on electric sadly. You usually use a pick on electric to play solos, unless youre an ardent believer in fingerstyle. There is the huge diff of string distance from each other. Its much narrower on an electric.

JUst learn some chords and play some notes with a pick, you don't have to learn classical to get anywhere on guitar.

in fact learning classical will slow u down if u're going into electric.. i was using my fingers to play when i started my electric.. the pick was kinda a pain in the ass.. i had to force myself to use picks.. :x

If I would learn classical Id go piano or violin.

Why not sign up for a pop/casual guitar course for the basics, then get a private teacher or learn thru the net? Ims ure the net will serve youre needs as well as they served ours(the self taught).

in fact learning classical will slow u down if u're going into electric.. i was using my fingers to play when i started my electric.. the pick was kinda a pain in the ass.. i had to force myself to use picks..

Which was why I turned to bass! :lol:

IMHO, I feel that classical guitar is more closely related to fingerstyle bass for using the i (index) and m (middle) fingers. I'm still not comfortable with using picks on guitars or bass.

ur ultimate aim seems to be learning the elec guitar, so might as well learn the elec guitar now rather than go a round about way.

but learning classical does help too..better still if u learn the piano...u learn scales,arpeggios,modes,etc...
if u're an acoustic pop player u'll kno nuts bout these!!!

Just because you begin on acoustic pop doesn't mean you will never learn scales and modes.

The best route to elec guitar is still acoustic-based chord and picking simple solos.

u can build calluses faster on classical guitar. so when u move on to electric, your fingers wont hurt.

Sorry dude I disagree, nylon strings don't wear into the skin as much as steel guitar strings do. They're more easier on the fingers. Classical guitar is good for developing finger strength, amongst other things to prep you for electric, but if we're talking calluses, its not one of them.

thanks guys.I got a clearer pic now.
I've signed up for the classical guitar courses already , hope to build up some fundamentals first before moving on to electric.Right now I play on a western acoustic guitar.If I'm able to play well on both classical and electric that's the best

I think actually electric is easier to get into then classical, also it's easier to sound good and powerful on electric hehe.
Yyou know they all say you should play acoustic first to build up finger strength, but what the heck.

Pier.

Actually playing Classical guitar does help in your playing in certain aspects. Instead of seperating to either "Classical" or "electric" guitar, why dun you think aboout the style you want to play?

Playing the Electric is NOT an upgrade from Classical guitar. So you can rest assured to juggle with both if you can manage the time. :)

Classical guitar does help you in terms of foundational music theory and finger dexterity. But it doens't exactly make you a better rock player. If you intend to go into rock just play the electric. Well certain styles in Rock music requires some classical knowledge ... Malmsteen is a good example.

For me, i never went into Classical. I learnt my theory from picking up Jazz and Blues. I still play rock but my discipline is more Jazz. But of course whatever theory i know is derived from classical ... i can't escape from that.

But i think for you, playing Classical is a good way of building your foundaiton. And you can start dong your Electric thing simultaneously ... doesn't matter. :)

viper said:
thanks guys.I got a clearer pic now.
I've signed up for the classical guitar courses already , hope to build up some fundamentals first before moving on to electric.Right now I play on a western acoustic guitar.If I'm able to play well on both classical and electric that's the best

They allow you to use an acoustic guitar for classical courses?

Back