Free Workshop By Don Richmond

alvinthedrummer

TMASPostercopy.jpg

Please go to http://www.blujaz.net/contact/ for address and map.

Last edited:
Hey,

No worries. Some of the artists involved have some restrictions. But regardless, TMAS will still be capturing footages and will definitely post up whatever we can.

Thanks for your interest!!!

Hi All,

Its all happening tomorrow!!! There is also another suprise drummer showing up to play at 5pm!!! And he is one hell of a drummer...one of my absolute favourites in the local scene....!!!!

See you there!!!

Free Give-Aways:-

For those who participated:

Please post up one or more specific idea or knowledge you have picked up at the workshop day (no less than 100 words). The entry with the most precise write-up will receive a copy of the give-away sponsored by ADG productions by mail.

Write away guys!!

what I learned from the workshop : you can use 2 drumsticks as a spanner to untighten overlytightened cymbal stands (i saw you do that during the setting up in the morning)
I learned certain details about the metronome (although I've always been used to listening by the 16 / 32 speeds instead of 2/4) and triplets from alvin. I learned that don richmond actually comes from a musical background instead of only bouncing bouncing smacking smacking and thanks to him he broke my record of attending a "gig" without a videocamera for 8 years.. and him answering james's question on commercial success. I've learned alot more about melodies and "feel" from mr roy dragon even though I know 0 music instruments.I learned alot more about jazz music from miss aya sekine cos previously I never really understood what jazz was apart from norah jones. miss lily and mong inspired me more ideas about vocalists as a "performer" , as i'm too recording based. especially the vocal tone part difference from pop singing and classical singing.
couldn't stay for Addy's guitar cos lady boss called and had to go.

thanks for the experience alvin!

Ok here's a quick summary of what was most helpful from the workshops,

1.Aya Sekine

She gave a very quick brief on the history of jazz and started to emphasize on the importance of groove. I only found out that when you snap fingers and count (in jazz) it is usually - 1 snap 3 snap instead of snap 2 snap 4. which means the snaps are usually the 2 and the 4 in a 4 beat bar. Hence, you will find it becomes a lot more groovy when you count the 2, 4 as compared to eg tradiional japanese songs where u clap hands to the 1 and 3.

Improvisation tip was that it is not always necessary to get too caught up in filling up space with too many notes. One can improvise with 1 or 2 or even 3 notes for a start.

2. Alvin

HE emphazized a lot on the use of the metronome (invest in a good one , sell your cymbal if you have to) and to really slow down eg 50 bpm so that one can really identify all the sub beats eg semi and demisemi quavers and if you don't , then you could end up with 2 people having 2 diff grooves when they think they are playing the same .

Work on rudiments esp the single stroke, double stroke, single paradiddle and flams

Of course, he encouraged drummers to practise any pattern for long periods to develop stamina instead of just nailing a fill and moving to the next with the assumption that it's all mastered. He added that we should pick those fills/patterns of our idols and be motivated to practise them and build up an arsenal of ideas.

he's got a thing for Dave Weckl hoho (too obvious) I think he's great too btw.

3. Lily and Mong

They did the Corinne bailey Ray song Put your records on real well with a little help from Roy on guitars.

They emphasized on listening to the band and being sensitive to volume when u are doing harmony vs lead.

Lily talked a lot about showmanship and confidence and how the audience appreciates a frontman who is willing to entertain and not be shy. Do scales to work on yr high and low range and appreciate that everyone has their own range to make themost of.

Mong talked about how classical vs pop is about having a round tone that blends vs a more forward edgier tone and that rest is the best thing you can do to your voice.Know your voice and avoid foods/drinks that affect its performance.

4. Roy

Roy dwelled a bit on composition/improv ideas. eg you start with the basic motif in the 1st verse then play a higher variant of it in the second verse escalating to a 'high' in the chorus ad that this is what i usually anticipated by the listener in formula pop.

Also think about your desirred tone, volume control, note choice and other factors in your playing.

He showed improv ideas on the progression of C Am F G playing only white notes and how you can begin by just using the 3 notes of the appropriate chord and moving on to all the notes of the scale

5. Don

He played 2 of his songs with Alvin and Roy. Very tasteful and talked a bit about production. How it is very convenient to do a basic recording with just an audio interface and a DAW. That whoever who finances the song project gets to keep the master copy. That it's easy to contact producers with yr demos these days via internet.

6.Addy

He encourages guitarists to slow down the tempo during practise to build muscle memory and focus on accuracy and that speed will naturaly come later. Listen to a variety of musicians and not just your favourite ones . Perform a good soundcheck by playing through a song and listen out for the balance and appreciating if everyone can hear themselves and each other.

Importantly, to stay humble, remember family values, respect yr elders, that music is not the be all and end all and to always learn and share with each other.

He and his band played 2 songs from his album. awesome stuff.

All in all, a good opportunity to be acquainted with local musicians and taking away some ideas from the session. Since the industry is so small, why not stay close and be like a happy small family. We can only learn rely on and support one another.

Thanks Alvin, Lets have more of these soon!

96714402 helmy_74@yahoo.com

Hi blueprintstudios and jazzfish,

Thanks so much for writing what you have observed! By sharing it here, you are actually creating a ripple effect of information spreading to those who missed the workshop. Thanks again for taking time out to share!

Please keep this coming. I will give this a week before I start contacting people with regards to the give-aways.

Thanks,
Alvin

Hi blueprintstudios and jazzfish,

Thanks so much for writing what you have observed! By sharing it here, you are actually creating a ripple effect of information spreading to those who missed the workshop. Thanks again for taking time out to share!

Please keep this coming. I will give this a week before I start contacting people with regards to the give-aways.

Thanks,
Alvin

Hi blueprintstudios & jazzfish,

Kindly email me your full name and posting address for the giveaways.

Thanks!

Back