Fingernail vs picks.

faizal77

To all guitarist out there,

I hv a question, would like to know the pros and cons if i were to use my index finger fingernail to act as my guitar pick, i'm juz not comfortable using a pick, it always tends to shift out of position and either i will hold it too tight or too loose. therefore i hv decided to juz use my nail instead, as it won't fly off my hand and i can control it more naturally.

So, i juz wanna know any advantages or disadvantages of me doing that? tone wise, playability etc...

thanx and regards;

Faizal.

To all guitarist out there,

I hv a question, would like to know the pros and cons if i were to use my index finger fingernail to act as my guitar pick, i'm juz not comfortable using a pick, it always tends to shift out of position and either i will hold it too tight or too loose. therefore i hv decided to juz use my nail instead, as it won't fly off my hand and i can control it more naturally.

So, i juz wanna know any advantages or disadvantages of me doing that? tone wise, playability etc...

thanx and regards;

Faizal.

Hi Faizal,

It is really not advisable to use your index fingernail as a pick! The only advantage I can think of is that you do not need to carry a pick about. Which isn't really an advantage at all because picks don't weigh very much. Now the cons...I don't even know where to begin but here goes anyway!

Other Softies please add to this list:

1) You might injure your finger
2) It is fundamentally incorrect
3) The intonation will be wrong as your fingernail is too blunt & soft to produce the correct sound
4) Sweep/alternate picking will be more difficult. Will not produce the correct sound either
5) Because of point 3, shredding and other such techniques will be neigh on impossible
6) Fingernail will chip creating sharp ridges which will hamper your playing
7)
8)

The list goes on mate. Hopefully other forummers here can add to the list. If you're really serious about playing the guitar, Practice Practice Practice with the pick! Try different picks, some have rubberised grips to prevent it from slipping. Also, you might want to seek advise on your picking technique and hand posture. Like is your palm resting on the bridge properly? Are your pick strokes striking the strings at the correct angle etc...

Persevere and Don't Quit!! Good Luck!!

Hi Faizal,

It is really not advisable to use your index fingernail as a pick! The only advantage I can think of is that you do not need to carry a pick about. Which isn't really an advantage at all because picks don't weigh very much. Now the cons...I don't even know where to begin but here goes anyway!

Other Softies please add to this list:

1) You might injure your finger
2) It is fundamentally incorrect
3) The intonation will be wrong as your fingernail is too blunt & soft to produce the correct sound
4) Sweep/alternate picking will be more difficult. Will not produce the correct sound either
5) Because of point 3, shredding and other such techniques will be neigh on impossible
6) Fingernail will chip creating sharp ridges which will hamper your playing
7)
8)

The list goes on mate. Hopefully other forummers here can add to the list. If you're really serious about playing the guitar, Practice Practice Practice with the pick! Try different picks, some have rubberised grips to prevent it from slipping. Also, you might want to seek advise on your picking technique and hand posture. Like is your palm resting on the bridge properly? Are your pick strokes striking the strings at the correct angle etc...

Persevere and Don't Quit!! Good Luck!!

Hi there Osairis, thanx for the reply, looks like i gotta keep tryin. cheers..!!

Latest posts

Back