Finding your "pocket"

loocm

Hi guys,

I have been reading bass magazines these past few days. During my readings, the phrase "finding your pocket" keeps on appearing. What does the term "pocket" mean? I'm guessing it means locking up the grove with the drummer.

Thanks.

My take on what the "pocket" is, its just space inbetween what your playing. As a bassist u cant really be playing alot all the time cause there has to be space in the music so it can breath. Basically playing in the pocket to me would mean just fitting just nice with your drummer, both of you should have an idea of where the 1 or the time and tempo your at so no one is speeding up and slowing down. thats the number one thing when your grooving, alot of rnb music and hiphop grooves have alot of space inbetween them but the space usually is very calculated right down to the 16th notes. A good example of a very tight rhythm section would be in this vid

YouTube - Steve Gadd with Richard Tee & Will Lee

steve gadd and will lee, 2 of the industries best sessionists. the shuffle groove will is playing is based of a jazz blues, notice the way will accents on the 2 just slightly to accompany the snare and give the music a forward motion. This is just my take on what the pocket and playing in the pocket is about, many people have different ideas of what it is.

Back