Feedback - whaddya need to hear?

FourSling

OK, so you or your band have written an original track and you've put it into the old post-and-critique play here on SOFT or other online muso communities to get feedback. But what you may get is a lot of critique - good and bad - all coming at it in different ways, from different genres and listening backgrounds.

I think this is probably one of the best ways to get feedback cos it helps you cast a wide net. But what does your "net" come back with? And is it helping you? :)

I'm curious about how you songwriters answer 2 questions, and started this thread in Open Mic to bounce some ideas:

1) HOW do you get feedback for your original compositions
- some possible answers: your friends? family? mates? complete strangers? post-and-critique? your own? mail it to a radio station at random? debuts at gigs?

2) WHAT are you looking for in that feedback (implied in this question is what do you DO with that feedback?)
- looking for critique of technique? sound? instruments? genre-type comparisons ("you sound like Jamiroquai meets The Black Crowes!") structure? lyrics? what?
- Any anecdotes to share of feedback that made a REAL difference to your writing/recording?
- what DOESN'T help? Vague stuff like "it's cool. I like it"?

ANy takers?

Back