Entombed: Serpent Saints

subversion

entombed_ssain.jpg

Entombed- Serpent Saints

When you are Entombed, ‘tumultuous’ is second nature. Serpent Saints is the band’s ninth full-length release which is perhaps a come-back signal for pundits who have been dismissing the quartet for their efforts, post- ‘To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.’ In light of departing band members & wound down record labels, Serpent Saints offers the signature groove-grip of the critically acclaimed Wolverine Blues while progressively disowning the death-&-roll credit.

Pertaining to the aforementioned, front-man Lars Petrov offers a sentimental remark (just visit the band’s homepage) to this sub-genre they help establish, insisting that the band, for goodness sake, is through & through, death metal in existence. Entombed fans who fear a wilting of the band’s form need to listen to this release & the implications it contain. There are strong numbers here which are typically Entombed in composition, never mind the absence of traditional riff-stronghold Nicke Andersson (ironically the band’s former drummer) & second guitarist, Uffe Cedurland. There are also song structures which invoke a rather watered down & commercially viable metal which, hopefully, are crumbs of their past lives.

It would be a limited perspective to say Entombed’s back to their level best because they didn’t depart to another plane altogether. Serpent Saints is a release befitting of an outfit who are about to complete their career circle but this one doesn’t signal any career accomplishments- not yet.

Rating: 88%

Last edited:
I have listened to their album Clandestine and I would certainly rate it as one of the best melodic death metal albums. Not sure about this one though. Might give it a try. Thanks for the review. :)

Clandestine, in due fairness, was a different Entombed at work. you won't hear Clandestine-like tunes/ arrangements in Serpent Saints. 3/5 of the Clandestine line-up had moved on, so has the music...

I have listened to their album Clandestine and I would certainly rate it as one of the best melodic death metal albums. Not sure about this one though. Might give it a try. Thanks for the review. :)

Entombed - Clandestine is not melodic death metal, :) As a fan of Entombed, I'll say that Serpent Saints is a good solid album, although it's not as good as Clandestine or Left Hand path, it's still Entombed, solid old school Swedish Death Metal! Thanks for the review!

Last edited:
the sub-genre classification is bordering on the ridiculous, often engaging more dichotomy rather than appreciating the fundamentals on offer. death metal is death metal regardless of how it's put forth.

Serpent Saints - The Ten Amendments.

It's a good album, what can I say. They went back to their old school style; bloody growls, blazing riffs, and the insane shredding, it's all here. You can hear the obvious death metal/thrash metal elements present.

I've all their past albums, Left Hand Path and Wolverine Blues are still my favourites. But this album doesn't do too badly, fans of Entombed will be appeased.

If you've noticed, the first few tracks are very aggressive, while the second half has gentler softer pieces. I personally only enjoyed the aggressive tracks though.

death metal, as how it is put forth, would invite polarized followings. a fan of band X would find it difficult to understand why band Y is deemed 'death metal' when the music differs. slightly. :)

differences, more often than not, are rather personal.

Subjectivity.

death metal, as how it is put forth, would invite polarized followings. a fan of band X would find it difficult to understand why band Y is deemed 'death metal' when the music differs. slightly. :)

differences, more often than not, are rather personal.

I am with Sub in this page. On a macroscopic view - Music is Music. If there should be a difference in music, it should be tunes which are pleasing to the ears..or not.

In this case, once more, is highly subjective as well.

TF

Back