EHX Clone Theory

62jaguar

Electro Harmonix Clone Theory

price: USD140+shipping

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02355.jpg

Packaging
In a new cardboard box. Not the wooden box. The packaging is quite simple.

Features
Two CHORUS mode (CHR 1 & CHR2) and a VIBRATO mode (VIBR).
CHR1 - the rate of the modulation can be controlled by the RATE knob. But the DEPTH is non-changable. This means that the DEPTH knob is inactive in CHR1 mode.
CHR2 - While in this mode, both the DEPTH and RATE knob is fully funcitional to control the tone of your chorus.
VIBR - Vibrato mode. The dey signal of the guitar is taken away and change the chorus effect to a vibrato.

Power
9V battery
To install, take of the bottom plate of the Clone Theory by screwing off 4 screws at the bottom.
9V adaptor 100mA. Barrel head (same as Boss & Ibanez pedals). Inner ring - negative, outer ring positive.

Footswitch
True Bypass

Input Jack, Main Output Jack, Stereo Output Jack
1/4" jack

Stereo operation
It's a 180 degrees out of phase the main output. Which means that the extremes of the modulation can be heard at opposite moments at each output. Pluggung the Clone Theory into 2 amp and will notice the panning effect between the two amp. Panning control using the RATE and DEPTH knobs.

Usage
Well for me, both of the chorus mode is excellent espeacially CHR2 as I can also control the DEPTH. It'll produced sweet and watery chorus. Usually I'll put 10o'clock for the DEPTH and 1 or 2 o'clock for the RATE.
As for the vibrato, it's 50/50. Beware, put the the DEPTH past 11o'clock, you'll get some weird sound. That is the only one feature that I don't like.

Conclusion
I'm not a pro or expert on equipment but at the price that you pay, it's a good pedal. Highly recomended. and it looks cool. 8) 8)

Rate
8.5 out of 10

Can you compare the chorus (or vibrato) to any other units you have tried?

Like, "more lush, but thinner than a H2O" or something.

better sounding than an SCH-1?

Wow.

Okayyyyy.... I will have to take that with a pinch of salt: I know of people (actually, anyone who wants an SCH-1) that will pay upwards of USD80 for 1 beat up SCH-1....

Regarding the Boss Chorus Ensemble, which one?

Edo likes the subtler, more pristine chorus thing. Hence his choice of TC Elec SCF.

I like the thick, huge washy chorus. Hence my choice of... FAB.

I wonder how this monster sounds though. I'd bet it's capable of all sorts of mayhem :D

Just got FAB chorus @ yamaha today. Woooosh, loving it so far. Tried the Nano Clone at the same time, didn't really 'talk' to me and there was subsequent amount of noise from it with the amps overdrive turned on.

theblueark said:
Edo likes the subtler, more pristine chorus thing. Hence his choice of TC Elec SCF.

You is know me, never tried anything that could replace that SCF tone in ma head :roll: It comes at a hefty price though.

theblueark said:

But but but... thats no where near subtle! :lol:

CE-2 for me... modded to rid itself of the dang vol boost...

Back