Effects and their power supplies

monk

Hi guys

I intend to ship some pedals from USA for my own use.
Brands would include MXR, Boss, Fender and ElectroHarmonix.

My questions are below:

1) Usually do these brand include power adaptors?

2) Are they usually operatable on battery?

3) I understand that if these adaptors are for USA voltage, I will need a transformer. Is it actually possible to buy a power adaptor in Singapore and directly use it for the pedals?

CHEERS guys

most of the brand you listed all take battery. Except Electro harmonix with some of their bigger size enclosure pedals...

for mxr, boss, fender- usually no adaptor will be provided

for EH, some of their bigger pedals using 18v, 24v adaptor(Dmm, POG, HOG etc), adaptor will come with it. Those 9v pedals(small stone/clone/muff etc), usually no adaptor.

for most pedals, you dont need transformer. Check the power specfication for the effect on their homepage, get those effect adaptor and shud be able to plug in and use. Most effect need 9vdc. Even with the US adaptor, what it does(if in US) is that from 110vac, the adaptor will convert to 9vdc and power up the pedal. Locally, 230vac to 9vdc. If you check out some of the effect adaptor, you will see a primary and secondary rating. Primary is usually the incoming 230v, secondary is the 9v outgoing source to power up the pedal.

the important thing is to check whether the pedal need dc or ac adaptor.

anyway, the above just a rough guide and doesnt apply to all cases. Best thing to do is to check out the power spec of the effect, bring to any geetar tech if necessary to verrify, before powering up. Heh, its always quite a bangz ballz situation to fry pedal with wrong supply...

Back