Effective piano practice

Likui

This thread is for us to share different ways to practice, to get the maximum results in the shortest time.

For me I learn 1 bar then the 2nd bar then combine the 1st and 2nd , then learn the 3rd then combine, 1st 2nd 3rd , then learn the 4th, then combine 1234 bars, etc. This is my usual way of practising those pieces that are really hard.

My 2nd method is play right hand at 40bpm 1 click to 1 quaver and then 42bpm then 44 bpm etc, when I reach 120 I go back to 40bpm and now I do 1 click to 1 crotchet, and slowly increase by 2 all the time to the desired speed. After which do the same for left hand then both hands. Very effective method but extremely time consuming.

My 3rd method, this applies when the piece is full of arppegios for eg, Chopin's ocean etude by chopin. For the start play the arppegios as chords, reason is to make the fingers be familiar where to go. for the start do it slow at 40bpm then increase by 2 all the time using my 2nd method.

Out of all the 3 methods though, the fastest method is the 1st one.
So what do u all suggest?

I split the song to it's different phrases, play them until i can get them right, then combine all the parts. Up to this point, I'm playing the song really slowly, at like 60bpm. It's impt that despite the slow tempo, the groove and feel of the song is still there. After that, slowly increase the tempo.

I think a lot of musicians practise the same way as I do.

Wish you luck and fun in your practice!

=blue_tack89

i agree! i do it your way too. :b i find it easier to break them up in digestible phrases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I split the song to it's different phrases, play them until i can get them right, then combine all the parts. Up to this point, I'm playing the song really slowly, at like 60bpm. It's impt that despite the slow tempo, the groove and feel of the song is still there. After that, slowly increase the tempo.

Agreed. There is more flow in practising phrase by phrase, and at least you can catch a clearer idea of how the song sounds like

lol likui, go try some medtner! the phrasing is quite hard to digest also, but in a different way from liszt imo. i feel insecure playing that! haha

i personally just play thru the whole piece in which ever speed i can before working on it so that i can have an idea wad to expect and when.

and yea, i'll usually analyze the piece before attempting to start.

practising backwards is quite effective....

like last bar a few times, den 2nd last bar and last bar...... .. ......

usually for people who have overplayed a song

its really intensive and tiring but once u reach the beginning of the song the piece is going to turn out very different......

it works with my students so u guys can try it.....

www.youtube.com/user/misterjerek

=jerek85

my teacher also would like me to clear bit by bit...

i always throw my fingers on the wrong keys :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back