Edumicate a Guitarist on what BASS is all about

I think it boils down to "trying" to be "uncommon" vs creativity. I faced similar problems with a few bands i've played with coz i play the bass quite unconventionally... but i do what makes sense. When i write my bass line, i think of myself as a GLUE as neversconcious mentioned.

I start off by just doing the roots, from there i'll start creating a motif from the vocals or guitars or a mixture of both and yet rocking hard and grooving with the drums, or simply just filling out the empty parts of the song with a motif when no one's looking =P whatever makes sense to me during the process, my purpose for doing this is to create a link between all instruments and to give the song an identity by bringing out what i feel is the most catchy part of the song.

I always prefer my bass lines to interact with the whole band. Of coz all these are subjected to changes according to the preferrences of my band, i will fight for my cause when i feel strongly for it but i will never let my style or my "uniqueness" get in the way of creativity and the music direction of the band.

For effects wise, i must say, if its creating emptyness like lack of the bottom end which i hear from many bassists using various very interesting effects and the sounds are clashing, then the band should sit down and figure it out and do "what makes sense".

Some muse songs i hear uses the keys and strings to fill out the songs and when u do the the bass effects without keys or strings, its usually the "quieter" part of the song where the bass rock out with the drummer but of coz there are exceptions like hysteria etc etc, but they managed to find a balance so that all instruments could be heard.

Clarity is a MUST if your using effects for bass and the sounds of various instruments in a band shouldn't be clashing. what's the point of adding effects that only sound nice when u play the song alone? =)

Ah... you talk of balance... with the nod to creativity.

And I think what's more important is how you mentioned - the band communicates. Talk... finding solutions, compromise and so on.

ya dont forget you must organise ktv/street soccer/cage soccer/paint ball/go karting session with you band mates for bonding

the primary role of the bassist is to bring rhythm and melody together.

as long as you fulfill that role, you can do whatever you want. =)

the fun thing about playing bass is you can jam with a drummer and provide melody, or jam with a guitarist and provide groove.

at any point in time, as a bassist, you are like the engine of the band and the song. You can completely change the way a song is "felt", from a chugging straight 8's rock and roll feel to a swingy feel, etc.

I love it.

This is kind of what I was getting at - that Bass, due to the nature of the instrument, is therefore relegated to play... Bass!
Awww, but 'relegated' is such a negative word! :lol:

So if so... then what's #1 is - keep the damn low end... #2 work with the drummer... #3 don't interfere with the rest.

#1 Actually when I listen to Motorhead I kind of feel that Lemmy's bass tone doesn't sound very bass-like at all and he's not necessarily playing low notes all the time, but he still provides the hookup between the guitar and drums, yet driving the song itself (especially on Ace of Spades).

#2 I think it's working with both the drummer and the guitarist....

... #3 And the keyboardist. And the horn section. And the vocals (I feel). Everyone, not just the bass, needs to have a place and space to do it in.

lol.

to shredcow:

the answer to all your questions are all subjective. what seems good to someone may seem bad to another.

i suggest you get up, start listening to the basslines(which were always there) in the music you listen to, and/or buy your own bass so that you can "experience" what bass is all about.

Good one! I agree totally with platypus, seriously listen to more basslines, u'll suddenly step into a whole new world ^^ warning though... once u dive into it... there's no turning back =)

lol.

to shredcow:

the answer to all your questions are all subjective. what seems good to someone may seem bad to another.

i suggest you get up, start listening to the basslines(which were always there) in the music you listen to, and/or buy your own bass so that you can "experience" what bass is all about.

Perhaps perhaps.

However, the bass seems to have more... boundaries and fixed purpose than say... guitar or keys.

I thought its quite apparent.

Anyway, I wished this thread to be more of a discussion than a "oh, its subjective" thing and thats that... because there are people who have deep insights on the manner & reason they play the bass, something I wish to hear.

Its always nice to sit back and formulate the words, the reasons you believe as to what makes good bass. You never know what you can learn.

Good one! I agree totally with platypus, seriously listen to more basslines, u'll suddenly step into a whole new world ^^ warning though... once u dive into it... there's no turning back =)

No no... its okay. :) I'm not going to pick up bass... I've not enough time on the guitar to practice, I'm not even near what I think is good.

Bro, I find your interest in the low end interesting and a lot of great ideas has been thrown up here. My own "dua sen" on this is as follows:

To understand the bass in music, one shouldn't think of it in terms of a 'role'. Firstly, history shows that the bass 'role', like those of all other instruments, is many, varied and versatile - the motif-maker of Temptations' "My Girl" to the chugging rhythm of Deep Purple's "Smoke on the H2O" to a percussive instrument for bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Korn, through for instance the use of the slap style (upright bass bros pioneered this way back when, before Larry Graham worked his thang on the electric).

One thing I've noticed from years of playing is that people either have a) no opinion about what the bass is supposed to do (aka "bo chap") or b) they have very strong opinions - and usually they come from non-bassists. "Do this" or "Play this rhythm only".

Ours is a sonic territory crowded by one, sometimes two or more guitars, the drums and even keys. So bassists - and to some extent drummers - typically know to look for the spaces where we can add to the song.

Someone earlier in this thread talked about the heavy metal bassist who went all twangy and asked, "Why? It doesn't sound like a bass?" My question is why not? and it's a good example of what I mean. When bassists like Fieldy (Korn) are faced with the doomscape of superb guitarists playing 100 knots an hour, I think this can be looked at as, "what can I bring and add to the song with this instrument?" (In this case, going for the glassy, clicky no-mids, all treble tone). It's breaking out of thinking in terms of a predefined role for the bass and thinking about the music.

You sound like you have an interesting band and one that is open and communicative. That's a blessing and hope you find success. Look forward to reading and learning more.

Back