Earthquaker Devices White Light OD

edgie

Gear used:
1.LP-type guitar(sorry i forgot the brand), set to the middle position to simulate a single coil sparkly tone. (Sorry again, no strat or tele available at that moment : )).
2. behringer solid state modelling amp at TYMC. Amp is set to clean and flat as possible(fender setting) so it doesn't add gain/ more coloration to the pedal.

The pedal has your typical volume and gain. But for the bass/lower mids(?) control it's called weight. It also has a toggle switch that switches the compression on(+) and off(-). Construction looks solid as what you can expect from most boutique pedals. True bypass.

I tested this at the same time as the Catalinbread SFT. First off, this pedal is based on the MXR distortion + and DOD 250 preamp. I must admit that those pedals while clear and detailed- sounding(if you add up their pros together), they almost cannot be used as a stand-alone OD. They have to push something in front of them so they can stack up their gain on that pedal to create a massive sound. Not the White Light(WL).

I would describe the WL low to mid-gain pedal. Something like how an overdriven vox amp sounds. Vox amps has that signature biting upper mids that makes them cut thru even on a dense band setting. Thinks The Beatles' Daytripper and I Feel Fine. As for modern bands, it can capture those indie bands' jangliness and grit. How jangly? Maybe this would be a fair representation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoICxpGbbPU&feature=related.

The WL is also JFET-based like the cbread SFT so it's also very touch sensitive. But compatred to the SFT this one has more dynamic range as it sounds more open even with the compression toggle switch set to on. I would use this if i'm playing on a band that has multiple guitar players so as not to clutter the mix and the SFT if i'm the only guitar player in the band.

Overall, this is such a flexible pedal, it can be used as a stand-alone OD or to stack with another pedal, both functions it can handle so well.

Back