Drums & Accessories in HK

DCturbo

Hi all

My maiden post ... been trying to catch up with the TONNES of useful postings in here!

Anyway, i am about to fly up to Hong Kong and someone told me that its generally cheaper if one were to buy musical instruments there.

I was told that Tom Lee (a major music retailer), was selling their Tama Silver Star for HKD5600 (ie. S$900) at approx S$1 to HK$6.20. This is the standard 5-pc kit w/o throne. I think SL sells for $1.3k or 1.4k? Not too sure .... do correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway, its just an example of prices sold in HK ... :p

Here's what my friend found @ Tom Lee while shopping for 18" crashes.

Zildjian
- 18" Armand Medium Thin Crash A8012 HK$1800 (S$290)
- 18" A Custom Rezo Crash A20838 HK$1650 (S$266)
- 18" Custom Fast Crash K0984 HK$2000 (S$322)
- 18" Armand Thin Crash A8013 HK$1750 (S$282)
- 18" Avedis Medium Crash A0242 HK$1480 (S$238)

Some cheaper than some US online sites but 1 or 2 abt the same price.

Will S'pore be any cheaper?

Nope, sg wont be cheaper unless there is an clearance sale, check out Parson music at whoampoa garden, Their ludwig black beauties and Sabian cymbals are priced fantastically!
But bear in mind not to be caught by the custom, if not u would have to pay 7% tax :)

Last edited:
Thx for the tip on Parson. Yeah, will bear in mind on custom ... ;) ... I'll make sure that it's worth the trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
No probs pal, i went to hk and bought 2 snares back earlier this year, but sold of one of them because i didnt like it, The cymbals there are insanely great priced, esp the sabians in parson, but for the zildjians, The pricing on a yamaha clearance sale and a sale time tom lee is around the same price, but of course hk u got lots of cymbals, virtually everything can be found! aha.

Which snares did u get?

Guess shopping in HK is still the best! Yamaha clearance sale was just over in Feb so I wonder when is their next one... Every year around the same time?

I got back a crap $100 ludwig lm302 which i managed to sell away to my fren, And a Limited 30 canopus maple + carbon fiber snare, I wished that i did not buy that crap ludwig, and Could actually spend $300 on that Tama bubinga birch Japan made starclassic snare.. Sigh.

I got back a crap $100 ludwig lm302 which i managed to sell away to my fren, And a Limited 30 canopus maple + carbon fiber snare, I wished that i did not buy that crap ludwig, and Could actually spend $300 on that Tama bubinga birch Japan made starclassic snare.. Sigh.

You got it at Tom Lee @ Tsim Sha Tsui?

How much did that Canopus Maple+Carbon fibre cost?
L30-1455ICM.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GktyddzSYtc
http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/drumproducts/limited30/innercarbonmaple/index.html

$300 is a sweet price for a Tama Bubinga SC snare!

Last edited:
Oh my, u managed to dig out this snare! haha, i would not reveal the price of it as i might be selling it away to fund another snare,

But i can say that when u go to tom lee, please buy everything in one shot and be polite to the sales guys, they will give you 10 - 20% percent discount on top of their insanely good price, And u will be surprised that the smaller tom lee shops have better range of products at cheaper prices than the main show room by 30% at least,

And most imptly, if u have a Hk fren, ask your hk fren to deal for you, i observed that the locals get a better price than foreigners, as i was there for 7 hours and i could understnad cantonese but i pretended to them that i do not understand it, And i heard alot of unfavourable conversations from them, $300 for the Tama bubinga snare but it was sold when my fren went there, i wanted to buy it but i was afraid that with too many snares, customs might tax me, so yeah :)

And yeah, in case if you are curious, i fitted this snare with An Attack Terry bozzio signature snare head, It sounds awesome, Sweet maple tone with the ring of the carbon fiber, and it has slightly more projection than the normal maple snare, i can say that its comparable to a Dw easily, no offence intended, Try it to believe it :D

Last edited:
Back