Drum Practice Schedule

juube

How do you plan your drums practice?.. like what do you focus on and how long you take on an area.. how you focus and stuff like that

okie, this is my schedule when i get 2hrs

30 mins strokes (various)

15mins hand and feet co ordination

15mins independence study mostly from new breed

15mins latin

15mins jazz

15mins playing to something

15mins of just playing with a click

i call this my shot gun method where i hit abit of everything.
there is something ic all the sniper method where u hit one thing really hard. this in effec lets u play a certain groove straight away. the shotgun, u need probably alot longer to internalize certain things. my advice is to do both. so u have something ready at hand to play while u gain broader independence of that genre.

work on weak areas. that last 15mins go crazy and just paly for fun. some people do the play for fun thing first, like me. some people like to do it last, it all depends on what ur poison is.

i spoke to a musician today, and she said that some top guys spend only 2hrs practicing, but they spend alot of time visualising. now it might sound like new age mumbo fatso, but micheal jordan has talked about the exact same thing just before big Bball matches. if MJ said it i'm down with that mudder!!!!

peace, love and hot women for all good men

Great idea there mark, like what alfe has mentioned before, using visualization to build stronger neuron connections. This method should help in enhancing one's hands-feet coordination and independence.

I'm just a little curious though as I personally have been toying around with this idea too. What do you visualize in your mind when you're visualizing ie. what images ? Or you just focus on your limbs instead of picturing something in your brain ? I only managed to do the latter, visualizing kind of distracts me in placing focus on my exercise.

yah shit i actually visualise all the time, cos i was always desperate and never had the resources to practice / on a real drumset till i got much older

its been like this long time, i visualise till the point there is some rhythm going all day and all night long... usually even when im sleeping/dreaming

think its might be not always that healthy... my gf face turn black sometimes!!!

yes i get only about 3 hours practice a day.... thats all i can spare from average 3 hours teaching a day and 3 hours band rehearsals

i have no idea abt the visualization. when i close my eyes all i can see is what the next batman film is gonna look like or what a well cooked steak might taste.
hmmmm....yess steakkkkkkkk

lol @ alfe, the gfs just hate it dont they ? ;)

Because I usually can only spare a miserable hour a day on average, I dedicate that hour to just focus on 1 item. Somehow I find it hard to break up routines because I take a bit more time to initialize.

I usually just work around these few segments:
1) Rudiments
2)Grooves
3)Hands-Feet coordination (with some mirorred double bass rhythms included)
- dedicating an hour just to focus on 1 of them a day.

Sometimes when everything just don't feel right, I'll do some aimless drumming or playin to music tracks.

lol @ alfe, the gfs just hate it dont they ? ;)

Because I usually can only spare a miserable hour a day on average, I dedicate that hour to just focus on 1 item. Somehow I find it hard to break up routines because I take a bit more time to initialize.

I usually just work around these few segments:
1) Rudiments
2)Grooves
3)Hands-Feet coordination (with some mirorred double bass rhythms included)
- dedicating an hour just to focus on 1 of them a day.

Sometimes when everything just don't feel right, I'll do some aimless drumming or playin to music tracks.

okie what u just said. from my point of view all right. the things u mentioned, thats what i call maintainence practice. its like greasy ur gears. ur right that when u feel lke crap u just play aimless, or is it aimless? its not, its play. playing is one of the most impt things cause it stimulates new ideas. however u need to play to a click.
this breaking away from the rountine helps to prevent u getting burnt out.
okie hear is what u can do to get abit more time to practice. wake up 90mins earlier and practice before u go to work. when i was in sch i did 6am to 9am practices, felt great and the whole day u feel like u accomplished something. but down side is by 9pm ur f**ked.
this extra half an hour, do something u absolutely balls out cannot do. give it some time, lets say a month and u'll see a diff. if u dun money back garanteed, get it from alfie.

Yea actually I shouldn't use the word aimless, sounds useless. lol. It's just drumming with no agenda really, and working around ideas if they happen to spark out from playing. Yea I do most of my exercises with a click.

Its alittle hard for me to squeeze in exercises in the morning cos I'll usually occupied with other stuffs before work. If only I can bring my stuffs to work and do them during lunch time.

Yea actually I shouldn't use the word aimless, sounds useless. lol. It's just drumming with no agenda really, and working around ideas if they happen to spark out from playing. Yea I do most of my exercises with a click.

Its alittle hard for me to squeeze in exercises in the morning cos I'll usually occupied with other stuffs before work. If only I can bring my stuffs to work and do them during lunch time.

drum pad lah at lunch. unfortunately thats about the only way man. there's this thing called futz, a practice pedal that kinda handy. its small and noiseless

yah shit i actually visualise all the time, cos i was always desperate and never had the resources to practice / on a real drumset till i got much older

its been like this long time, i visualise till the point there is some rhythm going all day and all night long... usually even when im sleeping/dreaming

think its might be not always that healthy... my gf face turn black sometimes!!!

yes i get only about 3 hours practice a day.... thats all i can spare from average 3 hours teaching a day and 3 hours band rehearsals

i could be the younger version of you. LOL

Is not that your singing is bad, just that is not polished. Try taking up vocal classes then. Who knows soon you will be like alfe. ;) For practising right, I usually brought my sticks along everywhere. When there is waiting or involve sitting down, practise rudiments/sticking. Play on your tigh/lap. Though is a dead surface, but it helps (suggested by alfe) AND it really helps.

Cheers

am, using Digital Drum pads,...using headphones, usually play less than 30 mins, on weekend nite :).. or whenever feel like drumming~

Cannot crank up the volume too loud, take care of ears... usually play with plug-in (songs....)

Back