Drum micing?

huxleyrittman

Hey
I record music at home, but i'm sick of using preset drum loops and midi keyboard drums haha

I have an acoustic kit, and I think for recording, I would rather get a mic system than get an ekit.

How do I go about getting drum mics?
What do I need to look for?
How much should I be paying?

I am not a drummer but i try my best to help.Usually for mic,normally i saw people hang their mic on top of their drum and record it.

I think you should start by what is your budget you wanna spend first. If you have a small budget, 4 microphones should be sufficient. 1 kick, 1 snare and 2 overhead microphones. then if you have a bigger budget you can do individual micing. If you have an even bigger budget you can get a dedicated kick drum microphone and snare microphone.

Thanks man :)
But is there a specific type of mic I should get? How much would it be for the five mics? Where do you think I could find them?
Also, what would you have to plug the mics into in order to record them?

They go for about $600-$700 a set of drum microphones. The microphone set should suffice. You can upgrade your microphone collection by adding kick drum microphones such as AKG D112 or the Yamaha Subkick and snare microphones like the Audix i5.

I would suggest an audio interface with multiple inputs to record your drums. If you want to do a basic drum recording, a simple 44VSL Presonus Audiobox audio interface would suffice. You can get this from us too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back