Do string wear out faster if uncovered?

sLapshock

I usually doesnt put my bass in a bag unless to jamming. Does this affect the string?

Damn, dean markley string..i used for 2 months only now it rough.. my PRISM last 6 months leh

Not really wear out but its the effects of a moisture rich enviroment that we live in ...i guess :D

I put silica gel inside my bass hard case,.
and so far,. my strings are still okay,.
:)

you might wanna try that out,...

also, u guys know where to get ernie ball bass strings?
they say its the brightest and is also good for sustain and lower B,..

dunnu if true,. :(

Actually yes ...

the fine particles in the air has a debilitating effect on the strings that will cause the metal core of the string to oxidise and thus causing it to lose it sustain and brightness ..

then again, all the above i just typed was made up and nonsensical .. hahahahah

no lah, i don't think putting your strings in the open will actually affect them. yes, we live in a moisture rich environment that has a humidity level of close to 90% ... that may affect the woods of the bass but for strings, highly unlikely that it'll die really fast,

strings after a while will set in, new strings will take around 2 weeks to set into it's actually playing state, from my experience .. after that the sustain will be affect by constant playing, e.g. dead skin from your hands, .. actually mostly dead skin .. hahahah .. it's pretty gross to think about it but that's true for all of us who play the bass very often.

i'm using DR strings now ... it has lasted me for 5 months and settled in very well, it still has that brightness even though you can tell it's pretty dead now but it plays very well, very even across the board.

i think i should methylated spirit my strings soon ...

i use fast fret only.

damn it..only use dena marley for 2 months..and its dead man...

shd buy prism liao...

i haven't changed my strings in one seven months and not even a sign of tarnish :? and yes, i do play often :D

i freshen up my strings with cologne now and then xD i need to get new ones soon, i think it can survive one last revival for a show i'm playing tomorrow, then i'm gonna get new strings

cologne?? .. dude .. don't waste lah .. use ethanol ..

yeah .. sweaty palms contributes to string death ...

my strings are super dead now ... hahaha .. play too often already .. i changed it like 5 months ago too ..

if you're unsure about rubbing random stuff on your strings and worried that it might damage something, then just get stuff like the GHS fast fret that's designed for guitar strings. supposedly increases string life as well.

just make sure the strings are dry from all the sweat and dirt before putting in your bag... there's little escape for moisture in your bag (even with silica gel, only the moisture in the air is gone, not the sweat). Unless you live in the east coast like me, outside the bag is killer too.

If you guys learnt sacrificial protection in secondary school chemistry - real life application actually works. Just get those zinc strips and stuff from your chem lab (they're more reactive than nickel if i'm not wrong), put them in contact with your strings when you're not playing - be amazed at how the zinc or whatever oxidizes while your strings stay intact. Ha my chem teacher did a good job teaching huh ;)

yesh of course...... try boiling your string..... i boil my string and it sound better. despite, also, please do use fast fret on the string. help a lots

i mentioned this before, use your common sense. basses on store displays go uncovered for months and their strings don't go terribly dead. many bass string packs are not even sealed.

it is not the air alone that causes the strings to go dead. the moisture from the air is negligible when compared to the moisture from your hands. also, the dirt from your hands will get stuck in the windings of the strings and will make them dead.

practice basic good habits first, like wiping down after play. everyone knows that. after that if it's not enough you can bring out the string cleaning tube (i doubt anyone here has one)

you can soak your strings in ethanol, but it won't restore your strings to 100%. just like how your strings wear out your frets, your frets will also start wearing out the strings.

for me i put dehumidifier packets in my gig bag. when my bass is at home i hang it on my wall. humidity is not a concern for me when i'm at home. when i'm outside, i'm just trying to do my best to compensate for extreme outdoor weather conditions. even then, i am trying to prevent cracks and warps rather than doing anything for the strings.

yesh of course...... try boiling your string..... i boil my string and it sound better. despite, also, please do use fast fret on the string. help a lots
boiling keeps the strings clean but it doesn't do good for the metal... it's more of a short-term fix, over the long run it will make the strings prone to snapping

i prefer stringlife (davis, maestro, zen) to fast fret. but it's so expensive, i might not buy another one when my current bottle runs out

i hear that denatured alcohol can be used to lengthened the strings life, just take it off and dip it and than re-string.

i dun recommend wiping down the string + fretboard. it my dry out the fretboard well at least for my wick.

Back