Do musicians censor their own gigs in SG?

gtuckerkellogg

I have a little mini-gig coming up, and was thinking of playing the great Johnny Cash's "Cocaine Blues". It's from the perspective of a guy who kills his girlfriend/wife when he is strung out on cocaine, runs from the law, is caught, and sentenced to 99 years in prison. He regrets the act, regrets getting caught, and blames the cocaine for what he did. It includes the immortal line "I can't forget the day I shot that bad lovelovelovelovelove down". Should I play it or not? Are there any issues?

does that answer my question?

HAHAHA! I apparently the "I can't forget the day I shot that bad b**ch down was auto-censored by SOFT itself.

good to know

Haven't been to a metal gig in Singapore. But I also thought it might be more open at metal shows; this is an acoustic gig at a wine bar.

I always stood by my stand that censorship should not exist, it is a matter of personal integrity in my case I guess.

As for you... Perhaps you will need to take a look at the crowd on the day itself. If it's a bunch of overly prim and proper fuddy duddies, it might be wiser to censor yourself.

I guess it boils down to the organiser or the venue's in charge. try asking them. because it usually depends on the crowd/audience.

Up to you whether you feel like censoring it. Anyway, which ever choice you make, you're going to please and cheese people off, depending on whether they like to hear the words or they prefer to stick to the original song.

either way, play by ear. See how the crowd is like and then make your choice accordingly

One of the most valuable pieces of advice I ever got was from a director I worked under during the holidays. He told me, "Never censor yourself. If the government must censor you, let it be. But the moment you start to self-censor your work is the moment you compromise as an artist."

Back