Digital pianos listed on Carousell, Craigslist and Locanto - legit?

burping_boy

Hi All,

I've been doing alot of market research for my digital piano purchase recently and did not want to spend more than $800.

After much searches, i was really really enticed by a Carousell listing for a second hand but condition almost new DGX 650 at just $650. After much messaging, the seller could only do delivery and i have to make a bank transfer to a DBS account first, which i didn't feel safe about it.

I kept asking if i can do a self collection or cash on delivery but the seller say i have provide proof of payment before they will deliver.

So i looked elsewhere and then found these listings today:
http://www.locanto.sg/by/jasminehui/fefbc0/
http://singapore.craigslist.com.sg/search/sss?userid=274300980

Which i went on to enquire more, and then until the payment part, i realised they are the same seller as the Carousell one, with the same bank account, and same terms of payment by bank transfer first before delivery to be arranged within 24 hours. Likewise the seller refused my request of self collection or cash on delivery.

I went on further to ask for photograph and received this reply:

Item is said to be at our regional warehouse, located at woodlands ave.
Item stored in logistics platform.
Item would be on consignment, immediately payment is confirmed.

The prices are great (like a good 40% to 50% discount) and there are models that i want, but i am seriously having concerns with being scammed.

What will you do?

Run far far. Seriously, these brands have Distributors in Singapore, I will be shock if the pricing can be so much cheaper.

Run far far. Seriously, these brands have Distributors in Singapore, I will be shock if the pricing can be so much cheaper.

Agree.

I even replied the seller, quoting from Craigslist itself:

Hi,

I am just trying to put my heart to ease, not saying that you are unreliable, but per Craigslist's own recommendation:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Avoiding Scams

Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
Where possible, i'd really prefer to do self-collection instead and pay on the spot. Is that possible?

Yet the reply was:

craigslist 5306579664
3:34 PM (2 hours ago)

to c38725dfba013f.
If you make the transfer today.
Item will be delivered tomorrow.
Item has 20 days return policy and money back guaranteed.
If no delivery within 48 hours, you get full refund of money.

Thanks.

The more i asked the more insecure i feel... I guess i just have to wait till year end IT fair to get better Casio deals...

Oh my this is developing as i am typing.

So i tested further:

"to craigslist
I am afraid i have to insist on a cash on delivery. It is a big risk to just transfer such a sum of money without receiving any goods.

Shouldn't cash be the best form of payment? And i can even save you your fuel charges by doing self collection, Woodlands is not a problem."

The reply:

"craigslist 5306579664
5:53 PM (7 minutes ago)

to c38725dfba013f.
Make half payment then the rest at delivery.
Am breaking protocol to buy your trust sir.
You make half payment, then you pay the rest upon delivery."

Seriously enticing i must say, but even $350 is risky right? oh my, my heart is leaning though my brain says otherwise... (reminds me of one of those heart brain comic strips...)

wat? must see goods then pay mah?

go market buy vegetables is still the same,
pay money then get goods

why many people fooled by money transfer scam?

no one is scammed yet.

today the seller actually replied to follow up

On 10 Nov 2015 12:20 pm, "craigslist 5306579664" <cdpzb-5306579664@sale.craigslist.org> wrote:
Still interested?

I replied: I am actually very free today I can totally bring cash n do a collection from anywhere in Singapore, you seriously not considering that as an option? take it as delivery to your warehouse? no loss for you right?

seller reply:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015, Jasmine Hui Ah <cdpzb-5306579664@sale.craigslist.org> wrote:
Half payment then the rest at delivery.
Be a man of honour, we promise not to fail.

Thanks

On 10 Nov 2015 3:24 pm, "craigslist 5306579664" <cdpzb-5306579664@sale.craigslist.org> wrote:
Item has 20 days return policy and money back guaranteed.
You can return within 20 days from delivery date.
Please note, return must be in original packing.

Thanks.

then my last reply: the concern is not about the return policy or warranty, is about payment before collection without the absolute certainty that it will be delivered. if there is like a shop or address or even photo of the goods, or reviews of other past buyers then there is some basis...

seriously I self collect pay cash, or self collect bank transfer on the spot, not possible?

and seller's last reply:
Thats how we deal here sir.
Payments before delivery.
Thanks.

haha! I've seen a ton of scams on Carousel etc. I put a few items on sale and a bunch of folks emailed me back simply saying "send mobile number" .... that's an immediate red flag!! they didn't ask about the product, the price etc. , just a simple note stating that they want my mobile number!!

just stick to communicating via their pm system, don't give mobile.
for me i bought from carousell before it was quite ok.. but sure got tons of blacksheep.

for expensive products such as digital piano, pay only when you see and inspect the products

Back