Decent digital drum software?

Wan Jr

Hello, im just someone who's into home recording, currently using a macbook pro and soundtrack pro as my audio recording and editing.. Main instrument i'm playing is the guitar.. Problem with soundtrack pro is i do not have any drum sounds at all, i could drag from apple loops garageband but that's just it. Doing the old school vintage rock but i have no decent drum programmes that will allow me to do my drums. I was also looking for other options like getting a digital drum and record direct but that would lean more $$$. Wanted to ask if there's any decent drum software for macbook pro that i can record different phrases in a song (save) then export the files out into my main DAW. Definitely beats buying a digital drum worth hundreds (or thousands maybe).. I wouldn't mind buying a software.. Need help in this.. Im not a drummer and definitely not a comp geek..

Your choices will depend on how you intend to sequence your drums. You already mentioned you are not a drummer. However, if you also play the keyboard, then a VST drum will be the choice. There are number of drum plugins out there - Toontrack (EZ drummer and Superior Drummer 2), EWQL, FXpansion's BFD etc. Of course, you can get drum midi files to trigger those VSTs (e.g. Toontrack).

However, if you don't play the keyboard or the drum, sequencing drums can be a challenge. In that case, you may want to consider using drum loops. There are many out there (Bigfish Audio, Time+space etc are a few sites you can find these).

One advice - to sequence drums, you need to think like a drummer (even though you don't play the drums). So it's helpful to learn the basics of how a drum is played.

- - - Updated - - -

Your choices will depend on how you intend to sequence your drums. You already mentioned you are not a drummer. However, if you also play the keyboard, then a VST drum will be the choice. There are number of drum plugins out there - Toontrack (EZ drummer and Superior Drummer 2), EWQL, FXpansion's BFD etc. Of course, you can get drum midi files to trigger those VSTs (e.g. Toontrack).

However, if you don't play the keyboard or the drum, sequencing drums can be a challenge. In that case, you may want to consider using drum loops. There are many out there (Bigfish Audio, Time+space etc are a few sites you can find these).

One advice - to sequence drums, you need to think like a drummer (even though you don't play the drums). So it's helpful to learn the basics of how a drum is played.

Thank you very much.. I am just so-so when it comes to drums.. Just wanted to know how im able to put it into soundtrack pro.. A friend told me that there are softwares which allows u to trigger sounds on just the laptop keyboard.. I have some basic drum beats in my head so i was thinking of recording drumline first before filling in other stuffs like bass, guitar etc.. Can toontracks be used with normal macbook pro keyboard? Or do i still need an external midi controller for this? And if so, is it possible to record, save then attach them to the timeline in soundtrack pro?

Not sure if there are many VST drums out there that are mapped to the computer's keyboard. However, you can still input using your mouse within your DAW software.

Ok, thank u.. Do keep me posted if there are any decent drum softwares around.. Thanks many2 again.. :)

Steven slates 4.0 for the kick and maybe snares
Native instrument studio drummer for toms , cymbals , snare and hi hat

Back