Danelectro: Black Coffee

subversion

blackcoffee.jpg

Danelectro Black Coffee
List: $79.85

What comes to mind when one mentions ‘coffee’ is the confederation of strength. The adjective ‘black’ only serves to bolster its intensity. Rightfully so, Danelectro’s Black Coffee (BC) is an intense drive type; ‘metal distortion’ to the layperson. However, there’s no dilution of its strength, here’s why…

Construction/ features
The BC pedal is Danelectro’s lethal weapon from its mini-pedal series, the siblings of whom are all tastefully (forgive the pun) named after food items (yummy!). As with other Dano mini units, simplicity is the name of the game hence a trio of knobs featured here; a level control in addition to a 2-band parametric EQ. Like its FAB series pedal, the BC has a plastic housing coupled with a rubberized metal base plate. Battery access is via the base plate removal held together by a small plastic screw, a replication of the FAB pedal formula but do keep in mind that the mini series did debut before their FAB cousins. Any replication of technology is a trickling unto the FAB series. There’s no click-on sound to be heard when one steps on the activation switch so the red LED is the crucial status indicator here & it’s acceptably bright indeed. There’s nothing dodgy in this department, so it’s on to…

…TONE!
As mentioned in the appraisal intro, there’s no taming this BC, you get maximum distortion all the time. The ‘Level’ knob here serves to be a volume resistor; it neither tames nor enhances the drive. With both the bass & treble frequencies dialed up to mid-point, the initial tone on offer is a prickly menace. For maximum impact, the level is maxed out, any volume presence is monitored over the amp.

It’s full-on thumping with this pedal despite its diminutive nature. After plugging in several guitars (humbucking/ single coil) in order to manifest its potential, it is observed that more productive tones are generated when the bottom end is pumped up & the treble end trimmed. Pity this one is devoid of midrange manipulation, otherwise it would judiciously add to the depth of the drive intensity since there’s no taming this unit. What one gets with the pedal inclusion is a no-nonsense distortion, there’s no hint of going nasal with the increase of your amp’s volume, unlike the manifestation displayed by the FAB Metal unit. It screams harmonics so more bite for your solo procession, if your neck humbucker is wimpy, do give it a dose of Black Coffee & observe the caffeine induction.

Conclusion
Do not marginalize the BC in view of its dwarfed nature; it’s the final output that matters. It rightfully belongs in the intense distortion turf to match other bigger adversaries. Please supplement your BC with judicious EQ either from either your amplifier or a supplementary pedal unit. The BC needs to be strapped down (most probably to your pedal board, yes?) to avoid being a nuisance in live situations as it gets easily tugged about due to its rather less massive physique. That aberration aside, if you are in the quest for a good, heavy distortion (& nothing else matters), it’s time to stop looking & enjoy a cup of Black Coffee.

Rating: 8/ 10

• Ease of use

Dislikes
• Small knobs
• 2-band EQ only
• Light weight
• Battery access

Worthy competitors:
• EHX NANO Metal Muff
• BOSS Metal Zone
• Digitech Metal Master
• Marshall Jackhammer
• Line6 Uber Metal
• Carl Martin Crush Zone/ Heavy Drive

he he... i actually bought this pedal a few days ago. my spouse & family was shopping @ Tampines Mall, i broke away & headed for Music Plaza, tried several pedals/ guitars- bought the black coffee. happy camper 8)

manufacturer's claim but these don't sound like it. nevertheless, they add value to the voicing 8)

Cow: not getting anything else in particular... i'm not the pedal type i guess.

moggie oh moggie....

he he... i actually bought this pedal a few days ago. my spouse & family was shopping @ Tampines Mall, i broke away & headed for Music Plaza, tried several pedals/ guitars- bought the black coffee. happy camper

Sub.. Is the Black Coffee has good distortion? If not, can you recommend me a good metal / distortion pedal?

'good' is rather personal/ subjective. the black coffee profess in intense distortion, it's nothing like what the BOSS DS-1 offers, it's more intense. do give it a personal audition & refer to the 'worthy competitors' list (see initial review) for other options in the same league.

Back