Craftsman FPJ20 pickup question

addicted

Hi,

Im fairly new to bass world and I got this FPJ20 bass.

I am wondering which one is the precision sound and which one is the jazz sound. Where do I toggle the switch (to neck side or to bridge side) for jazz sound?

I think it's toggle to neck side for jazz sound but I just want to be sure.

Toggle towards the neck, that's your precision pickup. Toggle to the bridge, that's your jazz pickup.

A precision pickup gives you that hard initial attack, a very punchy, fat punch.
A jazz pickup gives you a smoother, buttery tone, with more mid-range.

However, with the FPJ only sporting only 1 jazz pickup, and it's placed at the bridge, what you will get is a burpy, bubbly tone. To fully comprehend a jazz pickup tone, gotta have a Jazz bass or a bass sporting 2 jazz pickups.

But since you have the best of both worlds, toggle the switch to the middle. Gives a very nice finger style tone, and personally my favourite slap tone. I have an FPJ as well, and I hardly use the jazz pickup because I never did like the "jazz tone". I only bought it because I'm a precision style person by default and I got a P+J for that vintage slap tone.

I see now. I also do not like the tone given by the jazz pickup. I thought the name 'jazz' would give me a mellow tone.

The precision pickup gives me a deeper mellow-er tone which I expect from a bass.

However, with the FPJ only sporting only 1 jazz pickup, and it's placed at the bridge, what you will get is a burpy, bubbly tone. To fully comprehend a jazz pickup tone, gotta have a Jazz bass or a bass sporting 2 jazz pickups.

I don't like repeating myself, but for someone who's new to this, I will. Like I said, the FPJ only has 1 jazz pickup, and it's situated at the bridge. ANY pickup placed at the bridge will give you that burpy, bubbly tone. What you hear is a jazz-burpy-bubbly tone. If you were to put a precision pickup at the bridge, you'll hear a precision-burpy-bubbly tone. Like I said, to fully comprehend a jazz tone, try out a Jazz bass or a bass sporting 2 jazz pickups.

Looking for a bass instructor to get you sorted out? I give bass lessons as well.

I see now. I also do not like the tone given by the jazz pickup. I thought the name 'jazz' would give me a mellow tone.

The precision pickup gives me a deeper mellow-er tone which I expect from a bass.

Hi There... thats exactly my 14th years old son found, so we replaced the P-bass with an EMG active and cut off the j-bass part... anyway he covered the bridge with a bridge cover , so practically now is just a p-bass....

well i guess you just want a bassy tone haha, wait till you listen to funk or metal, you will start wanting to have a more brighter tone.

Back