Cover Versions - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Spellbound

When I heard Simply Red´s single ´Sunrise´ that had the backdrop beats of Daryl Hall & John Oates´ ´I Can´t Go For That´ single........it was surely the backdrop beats that salvaged the entire appealing aspects of the song.....to me that is.

It reminded me of De La Soul´s 80´s single ´Say No Go´ that had borrowed the same backdrop beats of Daryl Hall & John Oates single ´I Can´t Go For That´ as well......and yet.....it was an instant hit in my list back then......enough to buy the record single.

Yes.....those Valentine Record Shop days at Far East Plaza/Paradiz Centre or The Supreme Record Shop at Far East Plaza/Lucky Plaza/Centrepoint.

But my disappointment came along with Simply Red´s rendition of Bob Dylan´s ´Positively 4th Street´ which was one of my two fave songs from Bob Dylan.....the other being ´Like A Rolling Stone.´

Mick Hucknall´s vocals seemed too relaxed and laid back......even the backdrop instrumentation seemed so light and breezy......

I had long regarded the song ´Positively 4th Street´ by Bob Dylan as somewhat of an anthem or an understanding soothsayer to my political stand/patriotic agenda-driven lifestyle cravings that re-surfaces every now & then.

So I guess.....listening to Simply Red´s easy and mellow cover version got me all agitated instead.......as if Mick Hucknall did not take the song seriously enough.

Even listening to Bob Dylan´s ´Like A Rolling Stone´ pacifies my soul and it seems to understand my perception/perspection in daily living......

But when I heard the disco cover version of Supertramp´s ´The Logical Song´ .......I was like chewing the edges of my Supertramp´s ´Breakfast In America´ album.......to think that they got a ´Chipmunk´ to sing it. Urgh!

But you do get nice cover versions be it The Art Of Noise´s version of Duane Eddy´s ´Peter Gunn´ or Prince´s ´Kiss´ single where The Art Of Noise invited Tom Jones to sing it.

And the same would go for Ronan Keating´s cover version of ´When You Say Nothing At All´.........it came out pretty well.

Till now......I somewhat like the two different versions of the song ´Light My Fire´ be it from The Doors with Jim Morrison on the vocals while Jose Felaciano´s version seems more mellow but yet likeable.......where you cannot help but sing and chant alongside with Jose exactly three times over ´Light My Fire! Light My Fire! Light My Fire! Light! Light! Light! towards the ending of the song.....it is like a signature chant from Jose......and that ´Live´ performance ambience.

I doubt you could or would hear Peter Frampton from the band Humble Pie sing a non ´live´ version of his songs.......Peter Frampton´s trademark is always very much a ´Live´ album release of his songs.

I can´t imagine listening to ´Do You Feel Like We Do´ by Peter Frampton non-live......it is like a ritual to hear it ´Live´.........or I´d rather not hear it and wait till the ´live´ version is found in the recording library.

Perhaps the younger crowd who had never heard these songs in the 80´s and back then......would not have the knowledge that they are hearing a cover version but for people like myself.......oh well......the recording companies can´t pull a fast one on us......not an easy task to pull through.

Gerry

icon_cool.gif

Back